Forking bad luck

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
not a problem I can't overcome but what a day !
Earlier this week I'd decided to upgrade the forks on my cube acid one, i thought I'd gone about it the right way by checking the manufacturers spec.

OEM headset = FSA Orbit 1.5B ZS-R, Top Zero-Stack 1 1/8" (OD 44mm), Bottom Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (OD 56mm)
OEM fork= SR Suntour XCM ATB Coil, 100mm, Lockout

I ordered these thinking they should be a direct replacement for the original fork
Rockshox 30 Gold RL Solo Air Forks - 9mm QR 2018 tapered steerer, 100mm travel.

In my eagerness and before attempting to fit the forks, I replaced the decals with a colour that matched my bike (green)

bad move as it happens, the axle to crown length on the new fork is 20mm shorter than the old fork and I then noticed there's no hole for mudguard fitting, hey ho now I've done the sticker thing I'm stuck with these forks so I'll get around it somehow.

Anywho, yesterday pm I put the bike in a stand, disconnected everything and dropped the forks !
surprise surprise, I find that cube in there budget end bike (£1700) have fitted straight steerer forks in a tapered head, not only that but they've used open bearings in a cage (cheep-skates) so bang goes my plan to do a quick swap.
I've ordered a new headset ( hopefully the right one ) and put the fork swap on hold for a week or two.

Add to the above, my phone died and while driving back from the Apple Store someone drives into the side of my new car, argh

Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can only say I hope next week brings better outcomes. The odds should be stacked that way now.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
be 2 weeks at least to fix the phone as dont stock parts @ crapple stores ;)

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
be 2 weeks at least to fix the phone as dont stock parts @ crapple stores ;)
I'm told if I make an appointment at a big Apple Store (25 miles away) if they can't fix it there and then, then it will be replaced as its only 2 months old.
So much for my first venture into smartphones, I've grafted the nano sim back into a big sim and I'm back with my old clamshell :(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
under 12 months they should just replace it after 12 months is when the fun starts as no apple care n ur fooked.

if it was me id get my money back my sis last iphone just lasted 12 months b4 the batt went had to pay a 3rd party for a new one then went out and got the iphone x 1 week b4 the new ones came out.

some ppl just like shite!

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
under 12 months they should just replace it after 12 months is when the fun starts as no apple care n ur fooked.

if it was me id get my money back my sis last iphone just lasted 12 months b4 the batt went had to pay a 3rd party for a new one then went out and got the iphone x 1 week b4 the new ones came out.

some ppl just like shite!
I hate apple phones
But in saying that I’m still using an iPhone 4s which is 5yrs old so there not all shite
I won’t have another apple product but while it still works it won’t be replaced

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
No after 12 months if your in a 24month contract the cell provider is responsible as there not allowed to sell a product that isn’t fit for the contract length
It’s all on them to fix it not that they like it thou

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
02 would fix it but wanted it posted so would have taken weeks same as apple store as can not order them until old batt had been checked in to the system as there not allowed to stock parts?????????????

local guy had stock and done it in 20 mins for 30 quid while she waited with a 3rd party batt.

http://www.mspc-repairs.co.uk/

• Agree
Reactions: Twinkleten

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I brought the phone from Argos 4 months ago, after speaking to there customer service bod ( yes there open at 9 o'clock on a Sunday night ) as its quite new its there responsibility too get it sorted.
I'm taking it back to the store it came from and I'm pushing for either a replacement or a refund as sending it off to be repaired dosent appeal to me :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you should be able to get either but what went wrong with it ? id not want another one if it failed that soon no matter what the make.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
As to owning apple products, my only Internet access is via the iPad 2 I've had from new and that keeps plodding along, admittedly it's slowing down and can't quite download my dash cam footage but it's ok for this forum stuff and buying tat from the bay.
With the phone I think I just got a bad apple ( pun intended)

Reactions: Fat Rat

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
As to owning apple products, my only Internet access is via the iPad 2 I've had from new and that keeps plodding along, admittedly it's slowing down and can't quite download my dash cam footage but it's ok for this forum stuff and buying tat from the bay.
With the phone I think I just got a bad apple ( pun intended)
if you bung a new batt in it it will give it a boost tho it could kill it given how old it is but they dont make apple stuff like they used to so should be fine just get a decent cell and a ifix it kit.

all the new stuff has there t2 chip inside it which means no 3rd party repair as even a oem part will not work like a kbd as you will need there software to enable it.

thats just taking the pi@@

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
02 would fix it but wanted it posted so would have taken weeks same as apple store as can not order them until old batt had been checked in to the system as there not allowed to stock parts?????????????

local guy had stock and done it in 20 mins for 30 quid while she waited with a 3rd party batt.

http://www.mspc-repairs.co.uk/
Last time I had a phone fixed with o2 it took less than a week
Well to be fair they didn’t fix it they replaced it with a newer model
I was happy as the old phone was 18 months old at the time it was a Sony not that it makes any difference

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
you should be able to get either but what went wrong with it ?
It started a few weeks ago asking for my key code half way through the night while charging and more recently shutting down while I was calling someone or just surfing, it was taking longer to restart each time. I was advertised to update the software (which I did last night), it then worked fine for 20hrs before shutting down completely and that was 6hrs ago, it's still dead

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
It started a few weeks ago asking for my key code half way through the night while charging and more recently shutting down while I was calling someone or just surfing, it was taking longer to restart each time. I was advertised to update the software (which I did last night), it then worked fine for 20hrs before shutting down completely and that was 6hrs ago, it's still dead
upgrade a hardware fault with a software update never works lol otherwise it would still work but if its now unable to turn on burger all you can do bar take it back.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
not a problem I can't overcome but what a day !
Earlier this week I'd decided to upgrade the forks on my cube acid one, i thought I'd gone about it the right way by checking the manufacturers spec.

OEM headset = FSA Orbit 1.5B ZS-R, Top Zero-Stack 1 1/8" (OD 44mm), Bottom Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (OD 56mm)
OEM fork= SR Suntour XCM ATB Coil, 100mm, Lockout

I ordered these thinking they should be a direct replacement for the original fork
Rockshox 30 Gold RL Solo Air Forks - 9mm QR 2018 tapered steerer, 100mm travel.

In my eagerness and before attempting to fit the forks, I replaced the decals with a colour that matched my bike (green)

bad move as it happens, the axle to crown length on the new fork is 20mm shorter than the old fork and I then noticed there's no hole for mudguard fitting, hey ho now I've done the sticker thing I'm stuck with these forks so I'll get around it somehow.

Anywho, yesterday pm I put the bike in a stand, disconnected everything and dropped the forks !
surprise surprise, I find that cube in there budget end bike (£1700) have fitted straight steerer forks in a tapered head, not only that but they've used open bearings in a cage (cheep-skates) so bang goes my plan to do a quick swap.
I've ordered a new headset ( hopefully the right one ) and put the fork swap on hold for a week or two.

Add to the above, my phone died and while driving back from the Apple Store someone drives into the side of my new car, argh
I had similar experiences, next time I'll remove fork first and take lots of measurements.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Reactions: MJS_1066

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the sus only gets better the more ££££ you spend ;) the new ipads are even fold able.:eek:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Two weeks since taking my iPhone back to Argos and I thought I'd rig the repairers for an update, they haven't received it yet :eek: I've now got customer services on the case as its the local store manager who is ultimately responsible for the whereabouts of my phone.

The Bottom line, if they find it and then get it to the repairers, who colud then take several weeks to either fix or replace it before eventually posting back to Argos, this all adds up to no phone before X mass.
I don't think so, I'll be pushing for a replacement this week :mad:

Advertisers