Freego Eagle Derestriction - Magnet Trick?

Abi-Abster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 27, 2018
Brighton area
Hi All,
After a visit in person to 'e-bikes direct' HQ in East Sussex, much to my surprise I plumped for the Freego Eagle with a twist-and-go throttle (not a thumb throttle, which would've been more uncomfortable to use longterm).
The Freego Eagle hadn't been in my shortlist, but it felt the most comfortable overall, and the crossbar version had £500 off. Plus, being a disabled non-peddler, needing a throttle which could be derestricted narrowed down my options somewhat.
By signing a disclaimer for e-bikes direct I was able to have the throttle derestricted to approx 15.5mph before its delivery.
However, this isn't fast enough to keep up with my husband - even if I try Peddle Assist for a little bit (which is actually beyond me anyway) I can only get up to 16-17mph, and then only fleetingly before the speed plummets again.
Researching further derestriction, I came across this seemingly simplistic way to trick the system of an e-bike into thinking it's moving more slowly than it is, thereby allowing it to travel faster. It's also a cheaper approach than buying a dongle!
I have no issues not knowing my real speed or journey time/ distance, so am not bothered about the effects any derestriction or speed sneakiness will have on the LCD display.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comments/33nqjb/guide_unlocking_the_speed_limit_on_your_ebike_for/
And he's done a handy youtube too:
However, on the Freego Eagle I can't seem to find either the magnet on the spokes or the controller. Of course, this may be because it uses an entirely different set-up to judge the speed of the bike!
Apparently there's also someone nearby in Sussex who will sneakily adjust the speed reader for clients. He works for himself and not for a bike shop, but of course the guy I was speaking to about this in Halfords (where I went to get our daughter's bike fixed) conveniently couldn't remember his name!
Any thoughts/ ideas/ recommendations on how to proceed are most welcome!
Cheers,
Abi.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Hi All,
After a visit in person to 'e-bikes direct' HQ in East Sussex, much to my surprise I plumped for the Freego Eagle with a twist-and-go throttle (not a thumb throttle, which would've been more uncomfortable to use longterm).
The Freego Eagle hadn't been in my shortlist, but it felt the most comfortable overall, and the crossbar version had £500 off. Plus, being a disabled non-peddler, needing a throttle which could be derestricted narrowed down my options somewhat.
By signing a disclaimer for e-bikes direct I was able to have the throttle derestricted to approx 15.5mph before its delivery.
However, this isn't fast enough to keep up with my husband - even if I try Peddle Assist for a little bit (which is actually beyond me anyway) I can only get up to 16-17mph, and then only fleetingly before the speed plummets again.
Researching further derestriction, I came across this seemingly simplistic way to trick the system of an e-bike into thinking it's moving more slowly than it is, thereby allowing it to travel faster. It's also a cheaper approach than buying a dongle!
I have no issues not knowing my real speed or journey time/ distance, so am not bothered about the effects any derestriction or speed sneakiness will have on the LCD display.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/comments/33nqjb/guide_unlocking_the_speed_limit_on_your_ebike_for/
And he's done a handy youtube too:
However, on the Freego Eagle I can't seem to find either the magnet on the spokes or the controller. Of course, this may be because it uses an entirely different set-up to judge the speed of the bike!
Apparently there's also someone nearby in Sussex who will sneakily adjust the speed reader for clients. He works for himself and not for a bike shop, but of course the guy I was speaking to about this in Halfords (where I went to get our daughter's bike fixed) conveniently couldn't remember his name!
Any thoughts/ ideas/ recommendations on how to proceed are most welcome!
Cheers,
Abi.
A few ways to try. Find the manual for your lcd. There is likely some hidden settings you can access with speed settings. Failing that the controller is under the battery, look for a loop of wire joined to itself and unplug it

Abi-Abster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 27, 2018
Brighton area
A few ways to try. Find the manual for your lcd. There is likely some hidden settings you can access with speed settings. Failing that the controller is under the battery, look for a loop of wire joined to itself and unplug it
Thanks for this. Will have a look...when I'm feeling brave! Don't want to negate the warranty... Was hoping there was a less invasive way...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The spoke magnet method of speed control is generally used with crank drive motor units since their gearing can be changed to defeat the limit.

The Eagle uses a hub motor, the rotation speed set by the controller, and therefore the road speed. Some of these have a wire loop restricting link just outside of the controller and disconnecting these if you try it is reversible.

Otherwise the only possibility is via LCD settings, though once again this is mostly on crank drive units.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Afraid Flecc is right.
Unless the lcd allows derestriction or the controller wiring has any extra's for adjustment then you are stuck with the 25km/h.
Some controllers have a thick multi white data cable though unless you have the software programming and programme cable you are again stuck.

All my KT's and the one Lishui I have with a simple KM LCD allow me to derestrict as does my BBS01.

You can try for a little more speed by changing the wheel size in the set up but you then get wrong speed read put and odo reading.

Advertisers