Freego Hawk or Alien Ocean Aurora

hambrook

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 18, 2013
Emsworth
New to the forum so thanks in advance for your suggestions. First things first I'm no new to electric propulsion having travelled 17,000 miles in a 100% Electric Nissan LEAF over the past 15 months.

I'm an OCCASIONAL cyclist living at the top of a hill. So I am not going to be regularly commuting but like the idea of assistance so that I cycle more / get fit.

After a fair bit of reading I like the look of Freego Hawk; but also have a local Alien Ocean Aurora for sale on eBay. Looking to buy used /2nd hand for about the £500 mark, mainly cycle track / light off road (not up mountains!).

What are your thoughts between the two and any others I should consider?

hambrook

Nov 18, 2013
Emsworth
To throw a curved ball; the other route is Cyclescheme from work; open at anytime and ceiling now £2000; but really not looking to pay that for occasional bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Alien Aurora is not strictly legal. You should find that it's more powerful and faster than the Freego. The early Auroras (and maybe later ones) have the Phylion prismatic cells in the battery that don't seem as long-lasting and reliable as other batteries, so check the battery carefully.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
To throw a curved ball; the other route is Cyclescheme from work; open at anytime and ceiling now £2000; but really not looking to pay that for occasional bike.
Are you saying that the limit for which employers don't need a CCL has increased from £1,000 to £2,000? If so do you have a reference for this?

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
i didn't like either of the bikes you mention when i was testing bikes, so i'd say go and test ride before making up your mind.

Lots of people on here are very happy with the freego, but i really found it sluggish and heavy, and certainly wouldn't be happy with it offroad.

the alien that's currently on ebay looks remarkably similar to one thats been doing the rounds on ebay for a while - i'd check the original receipt carefully and get alien to confirm on serial number that its really 6 months old (assuming thats the one you're looking at)

as an aside how do you find the leaf? any problems or degradation in range/power from batteries over the 15 month period?

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Are you saying that the limit for which employers don't need a CCL has increased from £1,000 to £2,000? If so do you have a reference for this?
A CCL is not needed if the company is local authority or other government organisation. I used to run a cycle scheme and got this confirmed by HMRC (I think ours had no limit). I am making the assumption that this has not changed, not see anything in the new scheme which suggests it has changed. One thing to be aware, any payment must not put the persons wages below the minimum wage which would prevent some from getting a high value bike. Also it depends whant you can afford and schemes often vary in length.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Also worth considering a German made bike (D Cycle) which is £999 and comes with torque sensor 7 nexus hub gears, schwalbe tyres, thun torque sensor, Tektro v brakes and axa frame lock. The motor is made by bafang (front hub). However it is a stepthrough bike so probably not what your after.

Ideally I would try a few different types of bike to see what sort you like e.g. one with torque sensor and one with a rotational sensor, perhaps a crank drive but not essential if you are not looking to spend 2k. A bike with a torque sensor feels very different. The Freego has a rotational sensor. If you know which you prefer you could then narrow your search.

hambrook

Nov 18, 2013
Emsworth
I was checking my company's internal web site and it simply stated the amount had now increased from actually £2,000 to £3,000. However, as an occasional cyclist (when not in the electric car) it's not worth my spending that much

Last edited:

hambrook

Nov 18, 2013
Emsworth
the alien that's currently on ebay looks remarkably similar to one thats been doing the rounds on ebay for a while - i'd check the original receipt carefully and get alien to confirm on serial number that its really 6 months old (assuming thats the one you're looking at)
Yes that's the one I'm looking at and all of about 1 mile from me. I've not seen it before and I have had a saved search on ebay for 6 months where I get daily emails for anything that's been listed. The guy had 2, one sold at the weekend (his and hers)
Alien Ocean Aurora electric bicycle - 20+ mph offroad, 6 months old | eBay
as an aside how do you find the leaf? any problems or degradation in range/power from batteries over the 15 month period?
The Nissan LEAF is an amazing car; I could never go back to ICE (internal combustion engine). Battery has lost about 8% of it's capacity over 17k miles but none of it's power. Mine is the original Japanese built version which has the old style energy hungry heater; I drove the new UK built LEAF last month and that's an improved car with a heat pump using hardly any energy. Rapid charges in under 30 mins at a motorway service station / Nissan dealer / any IKEA etc.

Last edited:

hambrook

Nov 18, 2013
Emsworth
Also worth considering a German made bike (D Cycle) which is £999 and comes with torque sensor 7 nexus hub gears, schwalbe tyres, thun torque sensor, Tektro v brakes and axa frame lock. The motor is made by bafang (front hub). However it is a stepthrough bike so probably not what your after.

Ideally I would try a few different types of bike to see what sort you like e.g. one with torque sensor and one with a rotational sensor, perhaps a crank drive but not essential if you are not looking to spend 2k. A bike with a torque sensor feels very different. The Freego has a rotational sensor. If you know which you prefer you could then narrow your search.
So many bikes and options is quite difficulty to separate the quality from the cheap imports. I'm based near Chichester on the South Coast and trying to find a local bike shop that has a number of electric bikes to try rather than just be listed as a distributor.

Usage will be mainly gravel cycle tracks / 20 miles max or so on local roads. I am no hard core mountain biker so does not need to handle the South Downs way, though living at the top of a modest hill it would be very handy to get assistance back up to the top!

Let's shoot for £1,000 - £1,500 tops on a Cycle Scheme or £500 used as a target price. Freego I had read lots of good things about, locally based near Southampton and now paired up with Whisper, I think the bikes are Chinese built, or the components are, but it seemed a good mix of warranty, on road / off road type bike with decent range.

Torque or Rotational sensor? Absolutely no idea without trying. Hunch says torque thinking = "bottom of big hill, lots of torque being applied therefore motor ramp up assist". Crank drive seems overkill for my usage pattern.

D Cycle, naturally never heard of them and a quick Google gives me hundreds of D Cycle Locks. Any links, review or experiences.

P.S How the heck do you get a URL in your signature to hyperlink if this forum code does not allow the URL tag!

Last edited:

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
Yes that's the one I'm looking at and all of about 1 mile from me. I've not seen it before and I have had a saved search on ebay for 6 months where I get daily emails for anything that's been listed. The guy had 2, one sold at the weekend (his and hers)
thats odd, i'm sure that photo with the fireplace in the background has been used before, really triggered something in my memory - sounds genuine though, apologies for the bum steer :(

((and thanks for the info on the leaf))

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
So many bikes and options is quite difficulty to separate the quality from the cheap imports. I'm based near Chichester on the South Coast and trying to find a local bike shop that has a number of electric bikes to try rather than just be listed as a distributor.

Usage will be mainly gravel cycle tracks / 20 miles max or so on local roads. I am no hard core mountain biker so does not need to handle the South Downs way, though living at the top of a modest hill it would be very handy to get assistance back up to the top!

Let's shoot for £1,000 - £1,500 tops on a Cycle Scheme or £500 used as a target price. Freego I had read lots of good things about, locally based near Southampton and now paired up with Whisper, I think the bikes are Chinese built, or the components are, but it seemed a good mix of warranty, on road / off road type bike with decent range.

Torque or Rotational sensor? Absolutely no idea without trying. Hunch says torque thinking = "bottom of big hill, lots of torque being applied therefore motor ramp up assist". Crank drive seems overkill for my usage pattern.

D Cycle, naturally never heard of them and a quick Google gives me hundreds of D Cycle Locks. Any links, review or experiences.

P.S How the heck do you get a URL in your signature to hyperlink if this forum code does not allow the URL tag!
Most bikes would cope with a moderate hill. A rear hub motor or crank drive would have better grip than a front hub motor on loose surfaces. Best selling point about FreeGo is that you get a new bike if yours has a problem in the first 12 months and can not be fixed within 5 working days.
http://freegoelectricbikes.com/about-us/choose-freego-electric-bike-uk

Wisper's are built in Germany although some of the components are Chinese, the motor is Japenese.

Torque relates to how pedal sensor works does not necessarily mean bikes with this sensor are better climbers, I suggest people try both as the riding experience feels quite different.

D Cycle is available to look at on German website but AVE CH Edition is a better specced bike and is a stepthrough but the colour of the bike means it does not look feminine. However both of these have front hub motors and as mentioned you may find a rear hub more suitable.

In order to get a link in your signature you need to contact admin as they block links from signatures so businesses who do not pay cannot get free links.

Good luck with the search

hambrook

Nov 18, 2013
Emsworth
Hi Grant,

This may confuse you further, some of our eZee bikes are in a winter sale which makes them exceptional value for money in comparison to some of the bikes you are considering.

You can see them here eZee Electric Bikes - electric bikes and conversion kits
I think I am still at the stage where I am trying to debunk what is good / bad quality, warranty etc. I've read many, many posts on this forum and I come across a great review then find rust on a seat pillar. Or a quality Bosch drive system, but it's front wheel drive. Appreciating the actual real world usage stories and recommendations.

I am steering more towards buying through Cycle Scheme via work in February at the moment and will use the time between now and then to try quite a few bikes.

So what has a eZee bike got that a D Cycle or Freego or etc etc etc?

C

Cyclezee

Hi Grant,

I'm not here to knock the competition, but I will tell you some of the virtues of eZee bikes.

Firstly, eZee has been making electric bikes since 2001 and have a lot of experience in the business around the world.

Not being satisfied with the generic motors and other components available, they designed and manufacture their own, e.g. their hub motors which are well known for their torque, general performance and reliability.

They use high quality battery cells from Samsung and Sony. Their own design of battery case is universal through the range and they have capacities ranging from 10 to a massive 28Ah.

Although the bikes are manufactured in Shanghai, they source quality bike components from around the world, Schwalbe tyres, Sandvik spokes, Shimano brakes and gears etc.

eZee bikes are ridden all over the world, indeed the owner of the company who originates from Singapore has made many epic journeys, most recently from Perth to Sydney, you can read about that one here Perth to Sydney on Ezee Electric Bikes - eZee Bikes

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
as someone who doesn't own or sell ezee, my observation would be that while they do have slightly dated looks and are more obviously electric than some of the more modern bikes (which has its advantages as time goes on - batteries from earlier models are the same i believe so no problems in future sourcing or repairs other than the price)

the ezee is in the top end of the budget/mid price when it comes to performance/service and range of bikes available.

I love my bh, but when i compare blow for blow my bh to my wife's oxygen (again budget(ish) pricing, but high quality and support) or to one of the other bikes i tried (kudos and ezee both spring to mind), i can't help but wonder whether i was sucked in by style over content. The bh is a great bike, but i think the expensive lesson i learned was that shopping for ebikes is a different proposition to shopping for normal bikes (or to be fair maybe my usage is different)

Maybe if i'd have been buying in the winter instead of with the allure of a lovely summertime approaching, i'd have made different choices, but on the flip side, with several thousand miles under my belt since March, maybe i wouldn't :)

either way you pay your money and takes your choice, and i'd say take your time, ride everything you can up some proper hills on proper test rides.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I think I am still at the stage where I am trying to debunk what is good / bad quality, warranty etc. I've read many, many posts on this forum and I come across a great review then find rust on a seat pillar. Or a quality Bosch drive system, but it's front wheel drive. Appreciating the actual real world usage stories and recommendations.

I am steering more towards buying through Cycle Scheme via work in February at the moment and will use the time between now and then to try quite a few bikes.

the Bosch drive system lends to all these bikes a lot of 'German engineering' quality and perceived value. Chinese crank drives may beat the Bosch unit on power but are nowhere as well made or refined.

As soon as they move away from crank drive to a a hub (like in the KTM eRace 650P for example), the bike will become just like a quality bike with a hub motor conversion, on the par with a 500W CST conversion and look frankly overpriced.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
the Bosch drive system lends to all these bikes a lot of 'German engineering' quality and perceived value. Chinese crank drives may beat the Bosch unit on power but are nowhere as well made or refined.

As soon as they move away from crank drive to a a hub (like in the KTM eRace 650P for example), the bike will become just like a quality bike with a hub motor conversion, on the par with a 500W CST conversion and look frankly overpriced.
The perceived refinement of the Bosch-type systems are entirely a function of the controller/torque sensor operation which you either like or you don't. I'm not that convinced about the refinement of any of those systems mechanically.

It's a style of riding where the harder you work the more assistance you get - the polar opposite to the other (supposedly) "real 'cyclist's" system (Vivax) where the less you input the more help you get. The latter presumably geared at people wanting to keep effort as even as possible - and only even vaguely sensible for the money on an expensive racing / cross bike.

The Bosch 'thing' I guess is to reward effort, and therefore motivate people to try harder up hills etc. But that can sometimes be a pain in the proverbial if you are after a 'hill-flattener'.

I also doubt whether the eRace 650P would be running the 25A which would be necessary to mirror a 500W CST conversion using larger BMS controllers. That would make it a very naughty labelling operation indeed ! However if it does pull 25A at 47V (and can also be derestricted) I may well go try one as it would be a neat way of being more conformist at least on the face of things. However, even 800W peaks on a hub motor system are not enough to pull the bike out of the hill-crawling doldrums and into clear water so would be a big step down for a great deal of outlay - which I must confess isn't very tempting. To me anyway.

Last edited: