From Leeds to Thurso

Iara Soares

Just Joined
Apr 26, 2016
Hi, I am from Brasil and my husband and I are planning a bike tour from Leeds to Thurso. We intend to ride an average of 30 to 40 km per day, with some stops, in 30 days. I'm looking for a pedelec bike for me, if possible a second hand bike. As I don't know much about pedelec bikes I would like to know if someone could help me with some recommendations. Thank you very much. Best Regards.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
30 to 40 km per day isn't much at all.
How tight is the time and budget.
How fit are you, what do you need to carry.
A new budget bike might be better rather than risk spoiling a holiday.
Have you a bike already ? A kit could electrify that too.

Have a look at pennydreamers blog for her experience http://pennyburgess59.wordpress.com
She wasn't a big matcho man doing lejog.

Last edited:

Iara Soares

Just Joined
Apr 26, 2016
Hi Dave, thank you very much for your comments. I am 62kg weight and 1,60 height. I have a speed bike. We will stay in B&B places and we intend not to take too much stuff with us, since it will be a long journey, mainly clothes and some urgency needs. A friend of mine recommended me to buy an hybrid bike. He said a pedelec would compromise my holidays. I will take a look at the site you mentioned. many thanks

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
What's a speed bike?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Ok you are a cyclist with a track bike.
A converted hybrid would be my recommendation.
As a good bike, reasonable performance. With assist for hills and carrying hubbys spares( you will eat the miles).
You need to find the nearest bike shop. And test ride quite a few bikes.
In general a torque sensor will provide a natural feel to controlling the bike.
Cadence will just turn power on with no finess. And a throttle is more motorcycle like.
Me I love crank drive but hub is cost effective and can be better?
MTBs are popular and stylish but road bikes eat miles( recumbents eat them in comfort)

Test ride and test ride again. Peddlecs flatten hills and increase your range.
Old fat unfit and sick people get out and ride on them.

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Hi Iara, sounds like some cycling fun ahead. We have a good selection of quality electric bikes for you to see and try at our York store - which isn't too far from Leeds: https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/yorkstore
We also offer several conversion options if that turns out to be the best option for you.
We do have traded in electric bikes and x demonstrators now and again.
Assuming you choose a reliable motor system such as Bosch or Yamaha the main consideration with a used e-bike will be the health of the battery. We can provide you with a state of health report on a used electric bike battery if we have a model that interests you.
May be we can help - either way I wish you a great cycle trip :)