Front spokes snapping on my Kallkhoff Tasman front wheel.

jennieb

Just Joined
Jul 22, 2016
Lincs
So I have had my Tasman from new for 5 years only done approx 150 miles on it. It is stored in my garage and used for long trips and holidays. Last week I got on it and 8 spokes on the front wheel snapped half way down and 3 about 2 inch from the top! I had the spokes replaced at a proper bike shop and when I got it back and rode it again 5 more spokes snapped...The rear wheel is fine. Im very careful when I ride (don't bump down curbs etc) and take care of my bike...Bike shop have the wheel again but have suggested a rebuild at about £85...Is this normal for a Kallkhoff's spokes on a front wheel to snap like carrots!!! been contacting 50 cycles but no one gets back to me.....Any suggestions why this is happening and is a re build required??? Wheel is true.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
5 years old so no comeback on seller.
When the spokes have gone the wheel is out of shape. It can be trued but how twisted is the rim and a rebuild isn't a bad idea. Price isn't cheap but not a rip off either.
It's not really normal,for spokes to snap. I have cycled for 40 years and not had as many go as you have. ( excepting crashes)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
once the rim is bent more than a small buckle its time to change it as any more than that then even after truing it back can still want to spring back to the bend and thus brake more spokes.

wheels/spokes can fail if you ride hard enough like on my m8s bike wheel was totalled.

jennieb

Just Joined
Jul 22, 2016
Lincs
5 years old so no comeback on seller.
When the spokes have gone the wheel is out of shape. It can be trued but how twisted is the rim and a rebuild isn't a bad idea. Price isn't cheap but not a rip off either.
It's not really normal,for spokes to snap. I have cycled for 40 years and not had as many go as you have. ( excepting crashes)
Hi....No the rim has never been buckled and I have never taken a tumble on it either....The rim looks new...It's very odd and blinkin expensive considering the use I've had out of it!!

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I've managed to snap 4 on my Carrera rear wheel (none electric).

Also stripped the rear hub, bought a complete new wheel for £45 when that happened.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've had loads of spokes break on pedelecs, my record is destroying a wheel in five miles. I'd break the back wheel no matter where the motor was, at about 14 stone I shouldn't have been too heavy. Rebuilding the wheel didn't help until I had the rims replaced with Sun Rhyno rims then i never had another problem with them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Last week I got on it and 8 spokes on the front wheel snapped half way down and 3 about 2 inch from the top!
The fact that this happened suddenly at 5 years old but not in the previous years indicates it's probably something to do with ageing stress.

A rebuild is definitely the way to go, replacing broken spokes on an obviously failing wheel is never a good idea. £85 is acceptable for a good job at five years old and wouldn't seem expensive if you'd used the bike to a reasonable degree in that five years. Many of us do your 150 miles total in a week or two at times.

Advertisers