Front wheel motor WATTAGE question

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I appreciate that 250w is the UK legal but

Does this mean that any hub motor that says 500W, 400W is illegal just clarifying before I buy thanks

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

Does this mean that any hub motor that says 500W, 400W is illegal just clarifying before I buy thanks
Yes
In case you don't know, it's the controller that decides how much power you get, not the motor. The numbers written on the motor can be a bit misleading. You can get 250w motors that are happy running at 1000w, and they're legal.

Having said that, there are problems with running front motors at high power. Firstly, they can't translate their power into climbing power because the wheel can't get enough traction on hills. Secondly, you need very strong forks and drop-outs because of the torque. The torque from the motor will also lock the forks and prevent the suspension from working properly.

If you want higher power, it's always best to fit a rear motor.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Yes, all that counts is the motor rating and if it is stated as 250w then is legal.
Putting your on label on doesn't make it legal but it may fool some busy body.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
If concerned a motor rated at 250w wont be powerful enough?

Ive not weighed myself recently so could be anywhere between 13-15st, possibly more? My cycle isnt particularly light weight compared to most either.

A hill i would walk up or if i did cycle it, I would be in the lowest gear standing on the pedals in turn (have done it dont like it).

Now with a 250w geared hub motor i roll up @ 15mph slowing for a speed bump and rolling up the rest at 12mph increasing (slowly) adding a little via the pedals.

From a standing start half way up the hill I would probably climb slower without the momentum of a 'run up' but without significant effort, unless I wanted to push myself that is..

Also bigger motors will result in shorter battery life..

Last edited:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Got both bikes E biked last week, now I am amazed and will never look back

IMG_1626.JPGP1050175 (2019_06_14 13_02_52 UTC).jpg