Full Size with suspension

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
While I’m happy enough with the MiRider foldable bike for shortish rides, I’ve got half an eye towards the summer and some proper days out on 25+ mile rides. The great thing is that the MiRider has shown me that I was more capable than I thought and at least I’ve been out and about.

I’d like full suspension for comfort rather than hammering MTB trails and ideally a mid mounted motor from either Shimano or Bosch. Having read the various posts on support and repair options, I’m veering more towards Shimano.

I still have the mobility considerations, albeit not as much as I first feared, but do need help to get moving from a standing start particularly uphill. I’m also still short at 5’6” and 29” inseam so it needs to be an easy frame to get over. Either cadence or a very good torque sensor.

Finally, are there any dealers that offer PX ?

Budget is around £2k.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Does anyone know much about the reliability, or otherwise, of the Brose motors ? They crop up in reviews as being quiet due to them using belts. I’m assuming these are internal components based on images of the bikes they’re fitted to but are they a weak point ?

What do other motors, such as Shimano, Yamaha etc use ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Interesting viewing, although it looks like they identify issues with other motors as well.

Through this forum, I sense that the Bosch units are good but unserviceable outside their own network. I don’t know whether Brose are good or bad in the overall reliability stakes. What about Yamaha ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We here of the odd failure but most users likely will not mention the unreliability.
More failures are mentioned on the German forum according to Andy Matt who resides over there.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
this is my bosch performance motor after 5 years of use with a dongle fitted tho i take good care of all the seals esp the bearings each side of the motor as if any water gets in it will destroy any motor as you can see in peters videos.

there are a lot more bosch and Yamaha motors out there than say brose but if it does go wrong after the 2 year warranty he can get most of the parts like bearings ect but if the controller goes bad inside the motor then the only replacement is from another motor as none of manufactures sell them not even to the dealers.

so the brose motor would be last on my list because there are not that many about over here and is the most complex to take apart and repair and need special tools other than a shop press.

Attachments

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We here of the odd failure but most users likely will not mention the unreliability.
More failures are mentioned on the German forum according to Andy Matt who resides over there.
I think from figures Andy has given that the Bosch are not noticeably more or less reliable than the alternatives; they just have a very large proportion of the German market. They are certainly more difficult and expensive to repair (replace); usually even the dealers can't do anything except return them to Germany (which hasn't become any easier with Brexit).

Performance Line Bearings appear to be people's best hope for repair of such things in the UK.

If you are at all handy replacement of generic Chinese motors is a simple and not horrendously expensive task. Many bike shops will not be willing to help out, though.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
this is my bosch performance motor after 5 years of use with a dongle fitted tho i take good care of all the seals esp the bearings each side of the motor as if any water gets in it will destroy any motor as you can see in peters videos.

there are a lot more bosch and Yamaha motors out there than say brose but if it does go wrong after the 2 year warranty he can get most of the parts like bearings ect but if the controller goes bad inside the motor then the only replacement is from another motor as none of manufactures sell them not even to the dealers.

so the brose motor would be last on my list because there are not that many about over here and is the most complex to take apart and repair and need special tools other than a shop press.
Looks tidy enough, although I‘m not up to tackling these sort of jobs nowadays. I used to in the dim and distant past, including rebuilding proper car engines (pre-computer age).
Just one question though, how did all the dog ends get past the seals ?

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Thanks for all your input which has been very useful. I think in my head I was veering towards Yamaha or Shimano but the Brose-based Decathlon bike had a price advantage.

I‘m not going to be doing any off road stuff and will basically be doing the same towpaths as I currently manage on the MiRider, albeit with two batteries. I‘ve really got an eye to longer rides and without having to avoid every lump and bump along the way.

I‘d spend more but SWMBO has limits and I’m only comfortable riding with others (mainly to ensure we’ve got a buddy in case of anything untoward happening). We’re all getting on a bit with various limiting factors but I‘d like to think I could get 5 years out of it.

Anyway, thanks again and I’m off to watch some more motor strip downs !

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0046_02.JPG

6 years old this year and the original batt is still going but way down on range as expected for a batt that old.

and it still turns heads when im flying down the road going 30mph :p

Reactions: stevenatleven

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
What do you do to look after the seals ? I only use a hose on mine or, on a couple of occasions when it was salty, a battery washer with a wide spray and lukewarm water.

It’s washed and dried after every ride and I run down the road to dry the brakes off before putting it in the warm dry comfort of the garage.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i use that to cover the bearing seals but any grease will do as long as it stays put so no runny stuff its job is to stop any crud getting past it.

or you can get things like that but id still cover it in grease ;)

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
An unexpected alternative has come along in the form of a Batribike Delta Plus which looks the part and at a reasonable price too. I’ve seen previous comments about the battery but you can extend the warranty to 5 years. The motor and frame warranty are 3 and 5 years respectively.

My only concern is whether it’s too big for me with a 29“ inside leg given I can’t flex my right ankle (which is my dominant side). Also, it’s not clear how the assistance is delivered - a bOsch or Yamaha motor quote a percentage of effort whereas the Delta quotes an “up to speed” for the hub drive but nothing for the mid drive.

What’s the best advice ?

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Well it seemed that I’m just the wrong size to fit most MTB without doing myself serious damage. I’d just about given up when I called into Evans and tried a Pinnacle Mercury 2021. Okay, so it doesn’t have suspension or a big brand mid motor (but it’s Bafang which at least I’ve heard of through this forum) but its a good looking and well finished bike and it fit like a glove when I gave it a whirl round the shop.

Anyway, it’s now in my garage eagerly awaiting a full charge and a scoot around the village hills before a proper run on Sunday. The test run was brief and on the flat but there’s only a 2kg weight premium over the MiRider and a significant increase in torque (45 vs 12nm) so I’m hoping it’ll manage as just as well uphill. The battery is around 370Wh so should be the right size for our usual leisurely 12-14 miles. It also has gears just in case I need to get home under my own steam.

Review in due course.