Full suspension with rear hub motor???

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Are there any major disadvantages to fitting a rear hub motor kit to a bike with full suspension?
I tried out a full suspension bike around Halford's carpark today and it rode really comfortably.
I know, i know, it was only on fairly smooth ground!!!
But do bikes with the rear suspension suffer from loss of traction on rough terrain?
I'm sure there's a very good reason why i've not heard of anyone fitting kits to a full suspension bike or am i wrong? :eek:
Please enlighten me someone :)

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Before I got my Wisper I had a PowaByke Euro 6. I transferred the electrics from that to a fully suspended and it was bliss :D

No problems at all.

Best regards.

Vikki.

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
It should improve traction as that's what good suspension is supposed to do - bang the wheel back down asap after a bump.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
On the question of traction, rear suspension can work equally against you or with you. In some circumstances the suspension will help to keep the wheel snugged down onto the ground, in others it will allow the wheel to bounce out of contact. A good quality suspension unit with variable damping is essential.

The greatest problem with full sussers is battery placement!. Mounting within the frame triangle is usually confounded by the presence of the suspension unit. A popular method is to fit a seat-post carrier, but a little care is needed, particularly with alloy framed bikes. The carrier may have a safe load of up to 25 Kgs, but that doesn't mean to say the bikes seat-tube will stand it.

Suppose a Ping 36V 10ah pack weighing around 4 Kgs was mounted in a trunk bag giving around 5-6 Kgs in total, the mechanical advantage of that lot poking out from under the saddle could easily damage an alloy frame. The greatest danger is when traversing short-pitch undulations. True, the rear suspension and large volume tyres will greatly help to cushion the jarring, and of course, give some protection to a hollow axled motor. Stronger riders may opt for a small battery carried in a ruck-sack.

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
Are there any major disadvantages to fitting a rear hub motor kit to a bike with full suspension?
I tried out a full suspension bike around Halford's carpark today and it rode really comfortably.
I know, i know, it was only on fairly smooth ground!!!
But do bikes with the rear suspension suffer from loss of traction on rough terrain?
I'm sure there's a very good reason why i've not heard of anyone fitting kits to a full suspension bike or am i wrong? :eek:
Please enlighten me someone :)
Full suspension is the way to go, here's a pic of my one.

twiggy 001 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Wow, that's a monster. Is that a fan unit installed in the battery pack?

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
Wow, that's a monster. Is that a fan unit installed in the battery pack?
That's not the battery pack, that's the controller in there, I couldn't fit the controller in with the battery this time, which is in the aluminium box in the frame triangle. The controller was getting a bit hot, hence the fan which is a 12 volt unit stolen from a burned out inverter, it's powered by a tiny Recom dc to dc converter.

Building a full suspension rear drive ebike is not the easy option, but they are so much nicer to ride, what with all the pot holes on the roads, plus of course REAL fun offroad!

Griz