Gazelle Innergy Battery Wiring - Help

rogers827

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 28, 2019
Hi,
I am looking for some info regarding the Gazelle Innergy 36V Battery outputs.

I have recently bought a VGC but non-working Gazelle Innergy. I knew the battery was faulty but when I took it apard the wires on the BMS had been cut off & half the cells were missing. Using the battery outlet socket I wired up a generic 36V battery which has powered up the LCD okay but the bike still does not work as it should. The battery plug has a 3rd (white) wire from the battery which I believe gives the LCD the battery voltage signal and my known full battery is currently shown as empty on the LCD. Also I found a user manual that says no power will go to the motor when the battery is empty (although it will still power the LCD & headlight for a time).

There are 3 wires in the battery plug - Red (pos) Black (neg) & white. Logically the white wire from the battery will be a 36V battery voltage signal to the LCD, but I am loath to just piggy back the battery +ve in case the voltage has been reduced somewhat by the BMS & I end up damaging/frying the LCD.

My question therefore is can anyone please advise what voltage is carried by the white wire from the Innergy 36V battery plug ?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:

obcd

Dec 29, 2020
Hi,

i know this topic is nearly 6 months old but decided to reply to it anyhow.

The third white wire from the battery is a linbus data connection between the battery BMS, the motor and the display.
The normal voltage on it is maximum 12V. The devices pull this voltage to gnd to place data on the bus. (It's a digital serial connection)

So I hope you didn't try to feed it with your battery voltage.

Some of those Innergy motors are paired to their battery. The motor requests the battery serial number and if it's unknow it will display an error code (A1 if I remember well)

It means you need to go to your gazelle dealer to pair a new battery with the motor. The idea is it should help against theft. In my opinion it only helps dealers making money.

rogers827

Sep 28, 2019
Hi,
many thanks for the reply. I managed to source a replacement battery from a friend in the Netherlands, but due to Covid restrictions I have not had a chance to go and collect it yet. As I had this replacement battery on the way I fortunately resisted the urge to try a 36V feed - just as well by the sound of it. I had read somewhere about the battery bike pairing issue but thanks for the reminder; maybe I will be lucky and not have to visit the dealer. Thanks again for the info.