Gepida or KTM

Daveydogfish

Just Joined
Jul 11, 2014
Hi, I'm hoping that someone out there may be able to provide me with some guidance on my choice of an electric bike. I'm after a couple of tourers with step-through frame, crank drive, alloy frame set etc. to be used as 'tenders' for our motorhome. I'm budgeting a maximum of £2K for each bike. We're hoping that the bikes will stop us being confined only to those campsites with nearby public transport links. In any case, we're unlikely to undertake individual journeys of more than 50miles (round trip). My wife and I are in our mid-60s and reasonably fit weighing 11st and 14st respectively. After a fairly extensive trawl of the UK market I've zoomed in on the Gepida Reptila 900 and the KTM Macina Eight after discounting the Kalkoff Agattu HS 8G owing to its long wheelbase (prefer shorter length for Thule 923 carrier on motorhome).

I would be very grateful to hear experiences and observations about KTM or Gepida bikes (good or bad) and any thoughts on whether I should go for the 300k/h or 400k/h batteries given that we're looking at a 50 mile range but with the need to climb a few hills along the way.

Many thanks

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I think the nicest of the KTM step thru's is the Macina Bold Wave,the 46cm size seems to be comfortable for a good range of heights.
The only problem is getting stock.
The London Electric Bike Company of Hampton Wick,Surrey are awaiting 2015 spec bikes,due to be released at Eurobike show,suggest you have a chat with them about KTM.
KudosDave

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Many people put Kalkhoff bikes on their motor homes without difficulty. Finding measurements of bikes is difficult but a quick comparison between my Agattu and Scott (Sub10 not an ebike) shows the Agattu is around 2" longer. Before discounting Kalkhoffs I would check if this is genuinely a problem. The smaller wheeled Sahel Compact is also very popular for motor homes.

Depending on the terrain and level of assist, 50 mile range might not be comfortable with the 400wh Bosch battery and would be going some with the 300wh battery. If you go for a Bosch bike definitely get the 400wh battery.

Between Gepida and KTM my preference would be KTM if you can find what you want in stock.