Gepida Reptila 1000 (2016 model) - First impressions

evening2005

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2016
UK
WOW!!

Second impressions: I bought this from Nationwideebikes. They went to a fair amount of trouble to source one of these in 54cm. They had done a nice job in setting up the Bosch Intuiva controller with the correct time etc. They had also done a (very) short run-in test, which was reflected on the odometer. I liked that. The bike was packed neatly and (apart from the handlebars of course), the only thing that I needed to do was to slightly adjust the rear mudguard, as it had obviously got knocked out of position in transit. I had too many other little jobs to do yesterday, so I could not really do very much other than put it together and admire it.

There are a number of models in the Reptila 1000 series. Mine has 8-speed Nexus hub gears, a step-through frame and the motor is the Bosch Activeline. The brakes are hydraulic rim brakes. In addition, it has suspension forks and a suspension seat-post. I have the black model, which is mostly matt-black with some grey highlights and the lettering in red. It looks both sensible and dynamic at the same time. It's a beautiful day out there and I meant to take some photos but forgot. I will add some to a more detailed review later.

I am fortunate to live on a cul-de-sac in a very quiet area, so I got up early this morning to have a go. I suffered a slipped disc about eight years ago, so I have not ridden ANY sort of bike for a long time. My back causes me odd problems, like not always being able to lift my leg very far when I am standing up. So the step-through model is really required for me. I have just measured the "step" and it is 43cm off the floor. This morning I had a little difficulty even with getting my leg that high, but on another day, it won't be a problem. I had forgotten the role that confidence plays when you first set off riding a bike. We have a garage area at the rear of the property, so I was able to hang on to the wall the first time I got on. This was fine except that it meant that I was "pointing" at another wall, so when I set off and the motor kicked in, I panicked! Can you imagine, that I forgot how to brake?! Anyway, I had a couple of false starts like this, but there was no-one around at that time, so it doesn't matter! I actually found it easier to switch the assistance off the first time I got going. Of course, it is then just a very heavy (25.9kg) bicycle, but in first gear that didn't matter; I wasn't going anywhere so I was not in a hurry. I switched on the assistance after about five yards of cycling in a straight line.

After the first lap, I was feeling more steady, so I had a good play with the Intuiva system and with the gears. I feel more confident now, but I have yet to encounter a car on the road (this was very early), so that will be the next challenge. After my first few quick circuits I made a few adjustments to the position of the brakes and other bits and pieces. Then I went off for a few more "laps" to make sure that I was happy so far. I have really been impressed with everything about the bike. I'll go out again later, but will be sticking to traffic-free paths as much as possible.

Before that, I have a few small jobs to do on the bike:
1. Raise the handlebars a couple of centimetres;
2. If possible adjust the front forks so that they are a bit stiffer;
3. Fix my bike lock holder onto the frame;
4. Think about where to fit a bottle cage.

When I have been a bit more adventurous, I will write a more detailed review. So far:

The bike: 5/5 - brilliant. Everything I was hoping for.
Nationwideebikes: 4/5 - They did a tip-top job with the bike but they didn't always call back even when they had said that they would. Having said that, I know that they have been exceptionally busy and I would certainly recommend them. They have offices in London, Birmingham, Manchester (currently closed due to circumstances beyond their control, but they are hoping to re-open next month) and Taunton, which is where the firm is based.

To be continued ....

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Thanks for that review. It's a firm I've never heard of, with bikes I've never heard of! Always willing to learn.

evening2005

Jul 31, 2016
UK
Right. I've had more of a chance to have a play with my bike now, so here are some more impressions.

I am lucky enough to live near the Fallowfield Loop cycle path in Manchester. Last week I took the shorter route to the St Werburghs end of the path. This weekend I cycled the other way up to Debdale Park. On both occasions, I was lucky with the weather. On both occasions, there were plenty of other cyclists (and walkers) on the path, but I've still yet to see another e-biker. If anyone has noticed that I've been on an e-bike, they have not said anything to me.

One of the reasons for riding on the Fallowfield Loop is that it has actually taken me a surprising (to me) amount of time to get back some confidence while riding on the road. The closest point on the Loop is only 1.5 miles from where I live and almost all of that has a segregated cycle lane. So I can get there with no difficulty. The Loop itself is tarmac and very smooth. It's really an ideal environment in which to learn how to get the most out of the bike. I should point out that cycling fast is not something that I am particularly bothered about. The reason I got my bike was to be able to get my back (really my "core") into better shape. So my maximum speed on today's trip was 16.4mph and my average was only 8.5mph!

The bike has Shimano Nexus hub-gears (eight) and the Bosch Activeline crank motor. It was probably only today that I really started to feel that I was learning how to combine the two to suit my riding. Both gears and motor have been rock-solid and very predictable so far. This is certainly helpful when learning how to get the best use out of the bike.

Although the 54cm frame is "right" for me, my issues with my back made the bike (which is very heavy) a bit difficult to control. I had fooled myself, because if my back is working properly 54cm plus the suspension seat-post is absolutely fine. However, much of the time my back is not working properly, so I have had to ditch the suspension seat-post for the time being. I rather think that I'll put it back some day, not least because today's 11 mile ride has left me with a somewhat painful behind! (In truth, I don't know if the s/s would have made any difference).

I can't embed a picture of the bike, so you'll have to go here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uNalesejzWTQ-QoG9RqyZJKPvpfPuR_4IQ/view?usp=sharing That is on the Fallowfield Loop and the map there says that this is the location of the former Levenshulme South station. Incidentally, I was quite impressed with the signage on the Loop. Most entrances/exits were pretty clearly marked. If I was being picky, I would ask for more maps showing the interface between the Loop and the local area. I guess most people have phones for that these days. However, it's nice to look at "real" maps sometimes, especially if you are in a group.

By the time I had (nearly) reached the end of the Loop, I was desperate for the loo. Fortunately, I immediately found exactly what I needed ... a donkey sanctuary. I asked if I could use their loo in exchange for a donation. Unfortunately for me, I had come out with just a five-pound note and a ten-pound note. So my pee cost me £5! Still who could begrudge these fine fellows a fiver's worth of hay? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N8HIa6nDVENc9jShMGChwbCp488WyLDQlA

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
On the subject of confidence, I wonder how you are managing to set off and stop with the D lock mounted on the downtube.

The usual way would be to stand astride the bike, push off with one pedal and at the same time pop up and onto the saddle.

To stop, you push forward off the saddle, putting your preferred foot onto the ground.

The saddle looks very low, which suggests to me you are trying to start sitting on the saddle with one foot on the ground, which really isn't the best way.

You may even find getting the saddle to the accepted right height may help your back problem.

Sheldon Brown - as so often - is spot on.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/starting.html

evening2005

Jul 31, 2016
UK
Thanks very much for this response and the link to the article/video. Now that I try to think about it, I can't remember how I mount and dismount. I am going out for a short ride later and I'll check to see how I am doing this!

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Just upgrade wife's ebike to a Gepida Reptila 900, this 26" wheel version of 28" wheel 1000.
Features
Bosch Activeline, 400wh powerpack mounted in frame below seat, Nexus 8 spd hub, Magura HS11 rim brakes, integrated lights , Suntour NEX 50mm fork and built in Abus cafe lock.

This bike replaces a Shimano STEPs 28" ebike with derailluer gears.

First impressions after brief ride is solid handling bike, very quiet, like nexus 8 but does take little getting use to. Yet to put NEX forks to test but seem lot better than bargain basement Zoom forks on old bike.

Nothing really in it between Activeline and STEPs motors, Activeline seems more refined while STEPs slightly more peppy.

The main reason for change was smaller frame and wheels made for better fit, other bike while being small frame was slight to big for wife. 26" wheels give short wheelbase by 200mm, makes for more nibble better handling bike at low speed in tight situations ie hairpin corners. Low centre of mass by having frame battery compared to rack battery also helps. Other plus was same battery as my bike, we now have 900w/hr between us, less assist I use more battery she has, big plus on long rides.

Its small things on bike that make big difference
1) Integrated lights a must, no more pissing around with battery lights that have to be removed when locking bike up. Headlight was OK for commuting on light streets, might want extra light if riding regularly on unlit paths at speed.
2) Caffe lock that uses same key as battery, option to use cable with it.
3) IGH, being able to change gears when stopped at lights, must for commuting. Plus easy to clean single speed chain and maybe option to fit totally enclosed chainguard for even lower maintenance.
4) Little mud flaps on end of mud guards, stops water flicking up on back of rack and rider.
5) solid fittedmudguards with good clearance between wheel. No rubbing when guards take small knocks.

Magura HS11 rim brakes seem upto job, may need to be better setup. LBS did very poor job even after taking back. Clearances between pads and rims are not even and look little wider than recommended 1-1.5mm. Going have to do bit more research online, before tackling them.

No regrets with lower price and spec first ebike as didn't know if wife would enjoy it. With 2nd bike hapyy to spend extra on higher spec bike.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Magura HS11 rim brakes seem upto job, may need to be better setup. LBS did very poor job even after taking back. Clearances between pads and rims are not even and look little wider than recommended 1-1.5mm. Going have to do bit more research online, before tackling them.
Don't worry too much about that, as they are hydraulic the pads balance out when you apply the brake lever. Sometimes I have one that sticks because of crud but it doesn't affect stopping power. It is best having uneven gap rather than one rubbing on the rim.

They are a bit of a faf to set up perfectly (very German...):

- easy way release lever, apply pressure till they touch the rim, release brake lever and close lever
- hard way, loosen off screws and push them onto the rim, apply very slight pressure so they move out about 1mm then tighten everything up.

P.S. I am still on original brake blocks after 6000+ km... :)

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Brakes need to be perfect as usual commute is down steep windy cycle way which requires applying brakes almost continuosly for 5 minutes. More so on city bike as it doesn't have handling of MTB and my wifes not confident rider.

Typically use set of disc brake pads every 1000kms on this commute, because of this hill.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
She will be wearing out rims then... ;)

Seriously though about 3 min in:

Does the bike have the brake boosters? They help a lot.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Wife and I did a 78km ride today on our ebikes. Wife loves Gepida 900, found extra bonus of 26" wheel, lower rear rack with panniers can go under cycleway restricter bars. These are metal bars formed to create narrow slot of about 300mm, designed to let bikes through while keeping out fatter motorbikes. With old 28" bike rack was higher than restricter bars which meant removing full panniers to squeeze through.

Sharing 900w/Hr of batteries between us mades huge difference to range anxiety, especially for wife. I estimate she used 450w, while I only used 300w due to lots of unassisted riding. NB swapped batteries for last leg of ride.

Finding caffee lock every easy to use with extra security cable, so much better than padlocks. Energizer tires are excellent, very quiet and fast rolling especially at 60psi.

Only downside is lack of grunt on hill climbs, not sure if it is activeline motor or losses from IGH but Shimano E6000 bike was better climber.

May lower gearing, currently 19t on rear and 18 chainring (45t). Changing rear to 21t should keep gearing well inside recommended Nexus 2.1 ratio between rear and front. Will bring gearing down by about gear, making 7th good for 25km/hr cruising, currently use 6th.

quantumturbo

Just Joined
Nov 26, 2018
WOW!!

Second impressions: I bought this from Nationwideebikes. They went to a fair amount of trouble to source one of these in 54cm. They had done a nice job in setting up the Bosch Intuiva controller with the correct time etc. They had also done a (very) short run-in test, which was reflected on the odometer. I liked that. The bike was packed neatly and (apart from the handlebars of course), the only thing that I needed to do was to slightly adjust the rear mudguard, as it had obviously got knocked out of position in transit. I had too many other little jobs to do yesterday, so I could not really do very much other than put it together and admire it.

There are a number of models in the Reptila 1000 series. Mine has 8-speed Nexus hub gears, a step-through frame and the motor is the Bosch Activeline. The brakes are hydraulic rim brakes. In addition, it has suspension forks and a suspension seat-post. I have the black model, which is mostly matt-black with some grey highlights and the lettering in red. It looks both sensible and dynamic at the same time. It's a beautiful day out there and I meant to take some photos but forgot. I will add some to a more detailed review later.

I am fortunate to live on a cul-de-sac in a very quiet area, so I got up early this morning to have a go. I suffered a slipped disc about eight years ago, so I have not ridden ANY sort of bike for a long time. My back causes me odd problems, like not always being able to lift my leg very far when I am standing up. So the step-through model is really required for me. I have just measured the "step" and it is 43cm off the floor. This morning I had a little difficulty even with getting my leg that high, but on another day, it won't be a problem. I had forgotten the role that confidence plays when you first set off riding a bike. We have a garage area at the rear of the property, so I was able to hang on to the wall the first time I got on. This was fine except that it meant that I was "pointing" at another wall, so when I set off and the motor kicked in, I panicked! Can you imagine, that I forgot how to brake?! Anyway, I had a couple of false starts like this, but there was no-one around at that time, so it doesn't matter! I actually found it easier to switch the assistance off the first time I got going. Of course, it is then just a very heavy (25.9kg) bicycle, but in first gear that didn't matter; I wasn't going anywhere so I was not in a hurry. I switched on the assistance after about five yards of cycling in a straight line.

After the first lap, I was feeling more steady, so I had a good play with the Intuiva system and with the gears. I feel more confident now, but I have yet to encounter a car on the road (this was very early), so that will be the next challenge. After my first few quick circuits I made a few adjustments to the position of the brakes and other bits and pieces. Then I went off for a few more "laps" to make sure that I was happy so far. I have really been impressed with everything about the bike. I'll go out again later, but will be sticking to traffic-free paths as much as possible.

Before that, I have a few small jobs to do on the bike:
1. Raise the handlebars a couple of centimetres;
2. If possible adjust the front forks so that they are a bit stiffer;
3. Fix my bike lock holder onto the frame;
4. Think about where to fit a bottle cage.

When I have been a bit more adventurous, I will write a more detailed review. So far:

The bike: 5/5 - brilliant. Everything I was hoping for.
Nationwideebikes: 4/5 - They did a tip-top job with the bike but they didn't always call back even when they had said that they would. Having said that, I know that they have been exceptionally busy and I would certainly recommend them. They have offices in London, Birmingham, Manchester (currently closed due to circumstances beyond their control, but they are hoping to re-open next month) and Taunton, which is where the firm is based.

To be continued ....
Did you ever find where to put a bottle holder and if so where did you get it?