Get me to Glastonbury & back!

cncservsys

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 18, 2017
South East UK
Hi all,

I have been going to Glastonbury festival since 1997 with 3 mates & now offspring, tag alongs etc. Always endjoyed it but last couple of years decided to cycle there from my parents house north of Bristol. It's around 35 miles (70 round trip), with the dreaded mendips to traverse. I was lucky enough to get a ticket again this year and am going to cycle again but this time I'm "cheating" by using my new Giant Dirt E+1 which arrived today .

Does anyone think that battery will last the return journey. I intend to cycle as much as possible with the assistance turned off and only use it in ECO mode when encountering significant slopes.

Am I being over optimistic? There might be the chance to give the battery a bit of a charge at the cycle lockup but this is not guaranteed. I considered taking another battery but they are a bit pricey to say the least. Then there's the option to use a solar charger for the nearly 6 days I'm there. Can anyone recommend such a bit of kit suitable. Bike is secure in the cycle lockup.

Thanks for any real world experience with this bike or similar.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I did Winterbourne to wellington and back on my bike one day the summerset levels are level. Use the strawberry line cycle path and there's not much hill climbing involved anyway.

• Informative

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Reminds me of a conversation I overheard at Parkhead Station, a cafe on the Coast to Coast route in County Durham.

A couple of cyclists with American accents were chatting to a couple of locals.

One of the Americans said they were from Alaska, leading one of the locals to quip that was a long way on a bike.

"Well," the American replied. "We set off about three months ago, and cycled across the States to the east coast.

"We took the bikes on a plane to Prestwick in Scotland, and we are heading to Glastonbury for the festival."

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Reminds me of a conversation I overheard at Parkhead Station, a cafe on the Coast to Coast route in County Durham.

A couple of cyclists with American accents were chatting to a couple of locals.

One of the Americans said they were from Alaska, leading one of the locals to quip that was a long way on a bike.

"Well," the American replied. "We set off about three months ago, and cycled across the States to the east coast.

"We took the bikes on a plane to Prestwick in Scotland, and we are heading to Glastonbury for the festival."
Did their Satnav need an update ?

D

Deleted member 4366

It won't get nicked there will it? Where are you going to keep it?

cncservsys

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 18, 2017
South East UK
It won't get nicked there will it? Where are you going to keep it?
Glastonbury have a Green Initiatives committee to encourage more entviromentally friendly policies. One of these is the biketoglasto scheme which provides a free secure lockup for bicycles. It also transports cyclists gear to and from the festival for a small fee, & runs a cyclist only campsite with hot showers and more mod cons. It is run by volunteers. Checkout their website and Facebook/twitter stuff although not yet open for bookings this year until around April.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Hi all,

I have been going to Glastonbury festival since 1997 with 3 mates & now offspring, tag alongs etc. Always endjoyed it but last couple of years decided to cycle there from my parents house north of Bristol. It's around 35 miles (70 round trip), with the dreaded mendips to traverse. I was lucky enough to get a ticket again this year and am going to cycle again but this time I'm "cheating" by using my new Giant Dirt E+1 which arrived today .

Does anyone think that battery will last the return journey. I intend to cycle as much as possible with the assistance turned off and only use it in ECO mode when encountering significant slopes.

Am I being over optimistic? There might be the chance to give the battery a bit of a charge at the cycle lockup but this is not guaranteed. I considered taking another battery but they are a bit pricey to say the least. Then there's the option to use a solar charger for the nearly 6 days I'm there. Can anyone recommend such a bit of kit suitable. Bike is secure in the cycle lockup.

Thanks for any real world experience with this bike or similar.
Oh no!..... you used the "C" word

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
Not sure a solar charger will provide the required voltage and current even if the weather is good. You might have some luck asking a trader / lockups to charge up for you.

• Agree
D

Deleted member 4366

A solar charger won't do it. It would need to be massive and expensive. A spare battery would be easier. Pedalling harder is the cheapest.

• Informative

Related Articles

Advertisers