Getting me, my child and 4 bottles of beer up a mountain!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Oh, and a button for "walking assist" would be good for the tracks!
you press and hold on the - (minus) button to start walk assist.
Alternatively, use the throttle.

The chainline for the SLX Shimano stuff is 52mm, does that suit the Bafang?
Chainline is 50mm.
You can use a 2mm spacer.

Last edited:

531colin

Just Joined
Apr 3, 2020
Thanks Whoosh, that's brilliant. I think 2mm bias towards the low gear sprockets will work, I doubt I'll ever use the top sprocket. regular 68mm BS threaded bottom bracket shell....stuff I'm used to! who'd have thought it! and a walking assist!
frame to sort now!

Mar 12, 2020
Hi all
New member piggy-backing on this thread as its pretty close to what I will want to do. (Hope that's OK?) I'm a lifetime touring cyclist, and I'm looking for a way to get a bit of assistance to replace the strength that the last couple of years have taken away.
I live in Yorkshire and I love the steep lanes and tracks in the Dales; my touring bikes are geared really low (24T front to 34T rear). I want to retain gearing like that, to ride alongside my current riding companions; I don't want something I can charge about on like a motor bike. The ready-made E bikes I have seen don't seem to be geared that low, so that when it gets really steep (25%) the riders have to work really hard to keep going, whereas I used to be able to slowly winch my way up.
So I'm looking at a Bafang mid motor, Shimano 12 speed MTB transmission gives me a 51 T rear sprocket, with the Bafang 42 T chainring that gives me a bottom gear almost as low as my current one (without the need for a double chainset) and a reasonable size sprocket for "cruising gears". (and a higher top gear than now, not that I will use it!) The chainline for the SLX Shimano stuff is 52mm, does that suit the Bafang?
I will need to source a frame/fork to take Boost hubs.
Thanks for any help/comments!
Oh, and a button for "walking assist" would be good for the tracks!
I haven’t tried mine yet as I am still having trouble sorting out a battery but when I do I will tell you how it goes!

Mar 12, 2020
UPDATE!

I finally got a battery sorted and got to go on my ebike yesterday. Tried just going up the mountain. No child with me as he is not allowed out at the moment due to the coronavirus pandemic.

I managed it! 7 miles up a mountain. The battery symbol didn’t go down one notch.

I was in number 3 full power on the motor and gear 1 on my bike the whole way up.

I am super unfit and it was really hot yesterday mid day so I did find it hard but I did it! I didn’t stop! Hopefully I will just get fitter and fitter.

Going to try the other side of the mountain soon. Steeper gradients.

Its great! I love it!

martinoermando

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 4, 2020
They shed a lot of heat, unless you can keep Nox Vidmate VLC your cadence above 80 RPM. Their controller is more fragile, dies more often.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020
I did wonder whether I could upgrade my controller I have a c961 and I’m not sure how to work it properly. Does it just have assist 1,2 and 3?

I was under the impression there was some sort of sport mode.

you don’t need to program it do you? If so I have not done that.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's programmable with free software but I would not recommend you do.
3 assist levels are quick to flick through.
9 assist levels are possible but not as practical.

Mar 12, 2020
it's programmable with free software but I would not recommend you do.
3 assist levels are quick to flick through.
9 assist levels are possible but not as practical.
i have a little bit of grass is greener syndrome so I may have to! Maybe I could revert it back if I don’t like it?

If I do programme it would the top assist level assist me anymore than the top assist level I have already? Not that I need anymore of an excuse to be lazier than I already am!

How much a top spec controller cost to go with a bafang 01? Is it worth it?

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If I do programme it would the top assist level assist me anymore than the top assist level I have already?
no.
100% power is divided into 9 steps instead of 3.

How much a top spec controller cost to go with a bafang 01? Is it worth it?
there is not a better one. The controller inside your kit is still currently the latest and best from Bafang.
You can get a colour LCD if you like.

Mar 12, 2020
no.
100% power is divided into 9 steps instead of 3.

there is not a better one. The controller inside your kit is still currently the latest and best from Bafang.
You can get a colour LCD if you like.
Ah ok.

I understand. That doesn’t sound practical!

Colour screen doesn’t seem worth it to me.

The quality of the battery doesn’t affect the motors power does it?

My boyfriend ended up connecting x3 Samsung cell hoverboard batteries together and putting them in a bag!

it was the only way! It works. We really exhausted every option. Could not get one posted to Turkey and could not find one locally either. Then we found someone who made them but decided it could be a scam as they conducted business over what’s app and wanted us to wire the money straight into their account.

that was the final straw. So then he made one!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The quality of the battery doesn’t affect the motors power does it?
Yes.
What matters for the power you get out of it is the ability of the battery to provide current (amps) without the voltage dropping too much. And for your hill/load, the ability to continue doing it over an extended period.

I can't see specs for those hoverboard batteries that mentions the current capability. The capacity is 4.4ah each (13.2 overall) which indicates how much it can deliver overall, but that doesn't say how fast it can deliver it. That should (depending on cell quality) be enough for many uses, but maybe you need a little more.

Mar 12, 2020
The three batteries I have are these ones and I think I bought from this site.

I don’t know if you can read Turkish. I certainly cannot!

My boyfriend is an electrician and assured me it would work and it does!

But maybe I could take his voltage testing machine on my next bike ride and check it’s working to full capacity as you say. I wonder how I would do that?

Maybe I could make a diy rolling road with a steep incline!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It will work, but maybe not to the full.
If he's an electrician he can rig it up with both a voltmeter (range 32 to 42 volts) to see the voltage at the battery terminals and an ammeter to see the current draw (maybe up to 20 amps) while you are riding up the hill that will give a good idea.

Your comment earlier The battery symbol didn’t go down one notch. is a good sign that the battery is coping; it is probably a (rather course) voltmeter. Did it stay at full all the way, or did it drop while riding but return to full at the end of the ride, or didn't you notice?

Reactions: Somanyquestions2020
Mar 12, 2020
It will work, but maybe not to the full.
If he's an electrician he can rig it up with both a voltmeter (range 32 to 42 volts) to see the voltage at the battery terminals and an ammeter to see the current draw (maybe up to 20 amps) while you are riding up the hill that will give a good idea.

Your comment earlier The battery symbol didn’t go down one notch. is a good sign that the battery is coping; it is probably a (rather course) voltmeter. Did it stay at full all the way, or did it drop while riding but return to full at the end of the ride, or didn't you notice?
Literally just been on a ride and it dropped one bar then almost instantly went back up again. It struck me as strange but what do I know!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's called battery sag. When you ride up a steep hill, the motor asks more of the battery causing its voltage to drop more than before. When you get back to flat road, the motor reduces its demand, the battery recovers.
If the voltage drops too low (below 31V), the motor will cut out.
Don't worry about it until you are on the last one bar or two, then you have to help the motor a bit more to reduce its demand on the battery and avoid the motor cutting out.

Mar 12, 2020
Hello again!

It's nearly 2 years since I started this thread so I won't be surprised if no one replies but I am giving it a go!

I have had another child so I will be carrying an extra 11kg plus weight of bike seat up the mountain!

I have been messing about with grins ebike calculator and just a normal bike calculator online and going through my very rough calculations i think if I put a 30 tooth cog at the front and a 52 tooth cog at the back I can easily get up the mountain.

My question is...how do I do this?

I have seen adapters for the front cog for the bafang. Presumably this is so you can just buy any standard bike chain ring and attach? I have also seen a double cog bafang chain ring (not sure if I fancy it or not though. For the back I have seen obviously full cassettes. But I was wondering if I could just buy one big cog that attaches to the back of my current cassette? Then I would need a new chain I think wouldn't I?

As you can see. I am a bit clueless. I am also in Turkey right now so getting things posted is tricky.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The smallest chain wheel for a BBS I think is 32t using an adapter spider.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Re the OP and the beer, drink it before you set off then you don't have to carry it up the mountain.

I haul a trailer full of shopping etc up to my house with a bbs01b, a 42t front cog and 34t rear lowest cog no problem.

Advertisers