Giant Lafree Comfort 4 speed

moremeba

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2015
Hi all, does anyone have one of these bikes and wouldn’t mind sending me some close up photographs of the rear hub and drop outs?
I am trying to repair the known rear drop out fault and also re-assemble the gear cables and a google search in not throwing up any useful photographs.
I have already contacted FLECC who has been very helpful with pointers to his website but some close up photographs would be most useful.

Many thanks in advance
Barry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Four speed versions are scarce Barry. That gear hub suffered a number of failures in handling both rider and motor power in the Lafree so Shimano ceased the four speed hub manufacture in 2004 and have only made the three speed and seven or more speed since.

Giant replaced the Lafree's four speed with the SRAM 5 speed P5 hub.

moremeba

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2015
Hi flecc, thank again for your replies to my questions.
Does this mean that i need to swap the hub out?
I was hoping to just repair the drop outs and re-attach the gear cables....any ideas of what other options i have?

Best Regards
Barry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi flecc, thank again for your replies to my questions.
Does this mean that i need to swap the hub out?
I was hoping to just repair the drop outs and re-attach the gear cables....any ideas of what other options i have?

Best Regards
Barry
No, not if your gear hub is working OK, it was only some that failed. But that together with the smaller sales of the 4 speed and them being discontinued in 2004 just means there's very few owners who could reply with photos in response to your request.

Just the drop-out repair should be fine.

PaulC

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2007
Hi Barry,
are you after the installation and adjustment instructions for the Shimano 4speed Nexus internal gear hub?
If so, then post a reply here and I'll upload some scans of these instructions
Paul
Addendum: found the PDF with these instructions so I uploaded it to this thread.

Attachments

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I have a 4 speed nexus hub, although not on a giant. I will upload some pics if that's what you need?

moremeba

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2015
Paul/Alan, many thanks to you both for taking the time to reply to my post.
Both the pictures and the instructions will come in very handy

Best Regards
Barry

Advertisers