Giant Lafree spec needed

paulak

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 8, 2011
Hello any small Giant Lafree owners, I'm 5ft and need to know if I would feel comfortable riding the 'small' Giant Lafree, which I understand has a frame size of 44cms (17 ins?). I'd need to know the measurement from ground to top of seat. Around 30ins -31ins would suit my height. Also, does this model come with a suspension seat post which can be removed and replaced with an ordinary one (like the Powacyle Windsor) thus reducing the seat height by a couple of inches? I ask this because I am considering buying a second hand one that I won't be able to test ride personally. I have ridden a Powabyke and also a Powacyle Windsor. The former I found too heavy to handle (but great throttle power) and the latter was good, except I didnt find it had all that much power up hills - which is counter productive living, as I do, in Devon. Many thanks in advance for any enlightenment on these points.:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Lafree Twist Lite which had a Nexus 3 speed hub and no suspension had a rigid seatpost. The Lafree Comfort and Comfort ST models with 4, 5 or 7 speed hub gears had suspension forks and a sprung seatpost.

I can't help much on sizing since I am 5' 6" with 28.5" inside leg, but I was comfortable on the small frame of the Twist with the rigid seatpost elevated by about 5". That enabled me to have toes down when stationary which is all I need. All that indicates you'd probably be ok on the small frame version.

Here's a pic of the seatpost area on the Lafree Twist I used to have, showing the post height for me. Ignore the top tube, it was a bracing tube added to the step-through frame:

IzzyB

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2007
Dear Paulak,

You may have noticed a few days ago that I was talking about selling my Giant LaFree Twist (look at the thread entitled "replacement battery for Giant LaFree Twist", which is the one Flecc describes. I'm 5ft 4ins and the seat is currently at 34 ins, but there is room for it to go down another 3 inches at least.

Another member has already expressed an interest, but please contact me privately for more details.
IzzyB

IzzyB

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2007
PS
But not the same as the one in Flecc photo, mine is a ladies model with step through frame: Giant LaFree Twist Lite. Can send you photos if you like.

IzzyB

paulak

Aug 8, 2011
Many thanks for your replies IzzyB and Flecc. I appreciated the photo Flecc, but as Izzy says, hers is a step through. Yes, Izzy, your bike sounds interesting. I'm new to this forum and having a bit of trouble navigating myself around it, so could you just remind me about your bike details i.e how old, what size the frame is , how much you are asking, the state of the battery etc. Is it protocol to 'do business' off line as it were, in the 'PM' section?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think you've both misunderstood, mine was also the step-through. As I said in the post, that "crossbar" was just a bracing tube that I added, a length of 1" chrome plated tubing secured with jubilee clips at both ends. Here's the pic of the whole bike showing the bar is just added:

IzzyB

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2007
Ah yes, now I see the whole picture it is just like mine!

Paula, I believe there is a way of sending private messages to other members, but I'm not sure how to do it. When I 've worked it out I'll contact you privately, or if you work it out first....

I had intended to do an ad in the classified section of the forum but have had a couple of queries already.

Izzy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Izzy, if click to "Community" on the top grey bar, then click "Members", you can then drill down via the alphabet bar to the member you want, on their page are the links for messaging etc.

To save you doing that on this occasion, here is the page from which you message this member:

Send Private Message to paulak

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
P.S. If you are at a thread post by the user you want to contact, an even quicker way is to just click their forum name on that post and a list appears with a PM link which you can use.

paulak

Aug 8, 2011
Oh yes, Flecc, thanks for pointing that out. Apologies for overlooking it.

Advertisers