Giant large twist Panasonic charger ekj019 cutout cured?

jonnie_m

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 19, 2015
North west england
I was having the, well documented, problem of this charger cutting out before the battery was full. It is, as has been reported, possible to charge the battery by turning off the charger and turning it back on again each time it cuts out. I found that a bit inconvenient so decided to have a look inside to see if any components had failed ( I can post a pic if anyone is interested) - the circuit board is completely encapsulated in a clear, rubbery substance. I connected it up to see if any components are getting overheated and found that when operated without the casing lid on, the charger didn't cut out. At least this was so for charging both my batteries from empty. The heat sinks warm up a bit as does one of the coils. I suspect that there simply isn't enough cooling for the circuit when encased in its plastic box. I'm out on the bike today so I'll carry on using the charger exposed to see if it cuts out or not. A lot cheaper than buying a new charger! Cheers jonnie

Reactions: flapajack and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good discovery Jonnie, those boxes are indeed well sealed and the heavy encapsulation doesn't help where cooling is concerned. Hopefully this will be repeatable for others.

flapajack

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2013
Thanks for sharing Jonnie. Will try that when next due a charge. Would drilling a few vent holes help with the cooling you think?

Advertisers