Giant ratings: (25KM/H 32KM/H 45KM/H 28MPH)

BenC

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 2, 2020
Hi all, can anyone shed any light on why Giant name their bike with these speed ratings in brackets.

I get that in the UK we're limited to 15mph (25km/h) but does this mean the Giant is locked to this speed in the UK but allowed to do 28mph elsewhere? And if so, I take it that the motor can handle the 28mph speed without being under too much load?

Thank you.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Hi all, can anyone shed any light on why Giant name their bike with these speed ratings in brackets.

I get that in the UK we're limited to 15mph (25km/h) but does this mean the Giant is locked to this speed in the UK but allowed to do 28mph elsewhere?
Yes.
15, 20 or 28mph are the usual assist limits, depending on where in the world you live. The firmware in the bike will be set to this depending on region.

Reactions: BenC

BenC

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 2, 2020
Brilliant thanks for that, it's obvious but I hadn't figured it out.

So I guess that even though it's limited to 15mph, if it can do 28mph that says the gearing is sensible and if I can push to 20mph on leg-power alone, my legs won't be going ten to the dozen.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you ask the dealer before you hand over the cash, they might set it to whatever you want, especially if you say it's only going to be used on your u8ncle's private estate and never on UK roads.