Give yourself an award...

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
If you helped combat climate change this year, either by getting an electric bike and using other transport less, or by any other means, give yourself an award! :)

You can photocopy it and use transfer liquid to iron it onto a T-Shirt too.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
:) ..or even if you just changed your electricity supplier to one like Green Energy UK Ltd ...:)

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Thanks Branwen, don't mind if I do! - nice idea! :)

On the same lines, since getting my bike I often wondered about "pedelecs.co.uk" stickers/labels for rackbags & panniers etc. especially since I always recommend all who ask about ebikes to check out this site.

Just an idea, Russ, if you read this ;).

Stuart.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi Stuart,

it's something I can look into! In the meantime if anyone wants a copy of the logo which you can print onto your own t-shirts etc, drop me a line (we bought a HP transfer kit which works superbly). I've also got a Pedelecs screen saver if anyone wants one.

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
I have that transfer paper you just put in your home printer then iron onto fabric, and another that prints straight onto sticky labels. I think I need to print off the logo and stick it on my bike, as I returned to it to find someone standing there waiting to see who owned it to ask questions again today. Good idea. Thanks.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No need to be guilty Branwen, we're all on it.

The fact is that we've run our generating capacity so low that all available British sources are normally fully taken up all the time to maintain the grid, especially in Winter, so we all get green electricity. The final amount to make up our needs is by adjustment from the cross channel link of French mainly nuclear energy, varying between 3% and 10 % of our needs.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Sorry Flecc youve me there, you probably know something I dont know (as usual).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry Flecc youve me there, you probably know something I dont know (as usual).
You've probably seen the political comments about our need for more power sources and the nuclear pro and anti issue John. As said, we are getting increasingly into a dangerous position with our old nuclear facilities having to close and no replacements built in years.

Some years ago a cross channel link was put in place to allow import of the French nuclear electricity (nearly all their power is nuclear). We'd got our usage of that down to 3% at one point, but we now tend to depend on that again to an increasing extent, back up to 10% at times.

In those circumstances, everything generated here is bought in and used first, and of course that includes the green sources, as much as they can provide.

Since that goes into the national grid, all our meters draw from it.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I agree about the poor state of our grid. Its another example of the failure of privatisation in industries where privatisation is a bad idea (like trains, buses, healthcare...). Industries like these need government assistance for the good of the country. Its not an admission of defeat like some seem to deem government control.

I'm on the Green Energy 100 policy, which means that every single unit of electricity I pay for goes into renewables, whatever the actual source.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
I might take one of those award now.
I have just started my bit towards helping combat climate change.
Just taken my campervan off the road (safely in the back garden). For the next 3 months my only transport will be shanks-pony (walking) or the electric bike.
Wonder what the cost of fuel will be in 3 months time?

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
Well done you, and in winter too.

I just wrote an article on my electric bike for a magazine I've been published in a few times before, and they said they would wait till spring to publish it, when people were feeling a bit braver about being out in all weathers (which ticked me off a little as the idea is to make a change that you can sustain year round).

I can definately recommend getting some decent base layer thermals, such as are sold in mountaineering or camping shops.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Well I've been 3 months without a motor vehicle. I have to say that I haven't missed it.
I just did some quick calculations and I estimate that not having to buy fuel (£40/month) and saying on road tax (£20/month) I am £60/month better off. When the van goes back on the road (April) I should have saved £300.
If I do the same next year I will have paid for the bike and be a further £150 up.
Just goes to show how electric bikes can pay for themselves in no time :D

"I thought of that while riding my bike."
Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007

The fact is that we've run our generating capacity so low that all available British sources are normally fully taken up all the time to maintain the grid, especially in Winter, so we all get green electricity. The final amount to make up our needs is by adjustment from the cross channel link of French mainly nuclear energy, varying between 3% and 10 % of our needs.
By the way. You were right about this, when I looked into it. I just dont want my money going to one of the suppliers that is making no effort to combat climate change is all, and this is the reason for choosing, not where the electric actually comes from, good source or bad.

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
Even on the bus, I saved £400 a year. Getting rid of my car saved me the payments, insurance, tax, fuel, parking fees (and fines) and no method gets me around as fast as the bike, or takes me door to door, like the bike does. Mine paid for itself in two years, and since the Spark at my work fixed the battery, it looks like the trusty LAFree will last a bit longer than the 5 years I've already had it too.

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester

Such links will become more important as renewables increase, helping to even out the variability of supply and demand.

One study showed that (theoretically) Europe could supply all of its electricity needs from wind power and existing hydro installations alone. That won't happen of course, but it shows what is possible if the will is there.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Well I've been 3 months without a motor vehicle. I have to say that I haven't missed it.
I just did some quick calculations and I estimate that not having to buy fuel (£40/month) and saying on road tax (£20/month) I am £60/month better off. When the van goes back on the road (April) I should have saved £300.
If I do the same next year I will have paid for the bike and be a further £150 up.
Just goes to show how electric bikes can pay for themselves in no time :D

"I thought of that while riding my bike."
Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.
Just got my road tax, so my campervan is back on the road.
It's been off the road for 6 months - so that's my small contribution to easing climate change.
Saved myself some money too as this time I only taxed it for 6 months £101 – saved £84 road tax.
I will still be using the electric bike especially when one considers the price of diesel :eek:
I think the next addition to the electric bike set-up will be a cargo trailer for shopping.
Looking forward to going away in the campervan but not looking forward to filling it up :(

Last edited:

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Had a flash of inspiration the other night. Thought I would air the idea as it’s so simple and saves money. I have two solar chargers keeping the leisure and main battery fully charged in my Campervan (these are chargers with over-charge cut-outs not the really low powered trickle chargers). I don't need transport for work so the van spends most of its time parked up in the back garden. It has been pointed out batteries like to be discharged and charged so I have come up with a way to achieve this, save money and also reduce my carbon footprint. As of now I am using the batteries in the van to recharge the many portable electrical items I have around the house, like; mobile phones, PDA, laptop, etc. I have also just ordered a battery charger (for rechargeable batteries - AA, AAA, C and D) that works from a 12-volt supply and I intend to recharge all our rechargeable batteries in this way. £0 cost and green all the way :cool:

PS: I wonder if that qualifies me for a second award?

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007

I didn't think I would be getting the actual electric from a wind farm, for instance, just I want the electric companies that invest in such to get my money...

Advertisers