Going tubeless

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
After today, http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/how-many-people-are-using-there-e-bike-off-road.15780/page-21#post-249975 I can't recommend it enough.
After much research and shall I shan't I, I recently made the switch from tube to tubeless.
Over the last few weeks, the lad that I have been riding with has had several punctures and I haven't, which I guess is in it's self is a kind of a meaningless statement, then today things changed, and the bike was in this mess when it happened.

Quote from above link.
"Next up was a WTF moment when what looked like a dry track turned out to be pure mess. To add to this misery, there was a suddenly a massive pshhh noise, followed by a long hissing sound. I stopped the bike, looked at the rear wheel and the crud that was on it, and just thought NO!!! Flint is a real nightmare to wet tyres, and sure enough a big hole! I have just switched to tubeless set up, and I was already starting to think that this is going to become a big disaster. Trying to remove the tyre from this muddy wheel, and install a tube was not going to be easy. Now this is where the Stans tubeless set up has won me over. I turned the wheel to find the hole, put me finger over it, and the air began to stop coming out. With that, I turned the wheel further with the hole now at the bottom of the rim, my thumb still on it. I held it for about a minute, removed my thumb, and the hole was sealed. Quick use of the mountain Morph pump, and I was away again. I can't recommend going tubeless enough."

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Braylew was correct. Stans tubeless liquid has a terrible life expectancy. In my case roughly two and a half months!

The above mentioned hole reappeared at about 9.00pm last night in the pitch dark and miles from anywhere. Luckily it re sealed itself to get me home, but today it wouldn't take any pressure, and just kept leaking out through the 5mm puncture/tear.

I pulled the tyre off, only to find that the liquid and congealed into a ball, with just a watery substance left. I was also quite surprised by how many thorns that were also stuck in the tyre, but which hadn't caused any issue.

I've stuck the OE Rocket Ron back on for now, along with a normal tube that I filled with slime, but I'm not giving up on the tubeless set up and will try Joes No-Flats instead.

Advertisers