Going up hills?

James Mee

Just Joined
Oct 27, 2016
Bristol
I live in a hilly area so I think I will need a 1000w motor with a 48v battery to get me up them.
My question is: will I need to derestrict the bike to do be able to go up hills?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Many 1000w motors are ungeared and good at speed but not good at hill climbing. A 1000w motor will not be legal as a pedelec regardless of any speed restrictions put on it.

A good quality legal 250w motor actually peaks well over 250w and should get you up most hills. Depending on weight and how hilly you will probably be best off with a crank drive one and fairly low gears so the motor can keep its optimum speed even when the bike goes relatively slowly on hills. For reasonable prices look at the Woosh range (http://wooshbikes.co.uk/), and if you contact them by phone and email they will give good advice. They aren't trying to get sales that lead to unsatisfied customers. If you can afford more Cube are pretty good, or other Bosch powered bikes.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I live in a hilly area so I think I will need a 1000w motor with a 48v battery to get me up them.
My question is: will I need to derestrict the bike to do be able to go up hills?
I have a 250 W motor that peaks at 715 W (controller) so about 570 W at the wheel. With that power I have to control keeping the front wheel on the ground if I give it some welly. If you don't mind being outside the law a 500 or 750 W crank drive is all you would ever need on the road. If you want to go off-road look at the BBSHD mid motor, it is a 1 kW motor that will do hills and high speed on the flat.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
44.4v @ 15 A, I live in the Basque Country...