Got myself a secondhand Trek

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
I must have the cycling bug bad :eek:
We are planning a break where we plan to go cycling with some friends, which means some non-electric cycling as I won't have access to mains power :(
My old 18 gear (none-electric) mountain bike is a bit on the heavy side so I've been looking around for something to use for the cycling jaunt. Took a shine to a second-hand Trek in the local bike shop and its now mine.
It's a Trek 721 Multitrack, so should be able to handle road and light off-road.
The best part is it's so light :)

Trek 721 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Out of interest anyone have any info on these bikes?
I can't find anything on the Internet.
I don't think it is that old but had a hard life, as I believe its an ex-Camel Trail hire bike.

-----------------------------------------------
Cougar Mountain Electric Bike 36v 200w rear wheel Hub motor (Jul07)
fitted with 10 Ah LiFePo4 battery (Apr08)
Maximum range (road/hills - Cornwall) 18 miles
Maximum range (on flat) 25 miles

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know that model individually Footie, but it looks a nice short wheelbase sporting framed bike. It should be quite a lively performer on the road so shouldn't be too much of a shock after the e-bike.

You'll be sprouting big muscles all over the place! :D

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Hi Footie

That looks like a steel frame and forks so providing the components are in good order it should make for nice ride. I think these are the main details:

FRAME High tensile steel and Cro-Molly. Shock absorbing and built to last.
FORK High tensile ATB eases road vibration.
WHEELS Matrix 550 rims with Bontreger Select Invert tires add traction, reduce vibrations.
COMPONENTS Shimano crank and Shimano Altus/ZH37 21spd shifting.
SIZES 15",17", 19.5"", 21", 23" 18" womens, 21" womens

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Thanks flecc & Barnowl for your replies.
I know this is not on topic (electric biking) but it’s because I have been using an electric bike for the last two years I think I can know take on an ordinary bike (be it nice and light as this one seems) …. Even makes me forget I have a dickey ticker :cool:
Interestingly, I screwed up the gears going up the big hill to home and even though I still made it I think I was in the wrong gear (too high). I think it's going to be a really useful bike when I get the hang of the two twist grip gears.
As for further details on the bike, it is a steel frame but very light. Wheels I think are 700? I can’t find any markings to say they are 26 inch like my other bikes. As for its age I’m still not sure. Internet investigations have revealed that Trek started making hybrids around the 90's (early numbers were 7.1, 7.2, etc) .... Being a 721 it could be one of the early models making it 15 to 18 years old. However, it doesn’t look that old, so its either younger or been very well maintained. It's in better condition than my old MTB bike but then it is 25 years old.

Last edited:

Advertisers