Grab a bargain while it lasts: folding helmet

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
The Stash folding helmet costs 40/50 GBP everywhere else...12 GBP from fleeBay (inc. postage, new of course). The upcoming Dahon Tango is supposedly better, but it won't be cheap !

PS: for those wondering about the 12mph "limit", read this:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/4670-helmet-debate-new-twist-16.html#post64583

Stash Cycling & multi sports folding helmet S/M on eBay (end time 05-Dec-09 16:54:35 GMT)

Stash Cycling & multi sports folding helmet L/XL on eBay (end time 05-Dec-09 16:59:44 GMT)

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks for this one Dan. Will get one for me and one for my wife to pack in our cases when we jet off on hols. We love cycling abroad but sadly a lot of bike hire places don't have helmets.

We could have done with one when Mrs O came off her bike around Lake Garda, the slipsteam from a large juggernaut/gravel on road causing the damage! Fortunately/unfortunately we only had a small piece of busy road to negotiate but......... The rest of the roads are great and despite what many say about Italian drivers we've always found that they are much more respectful of cyclists that their British counterparts around the Lake Garda area (truck drivers notwithstanding but I expect he was French!).

Mike

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Dan

Have you bought one? - Is it you modelling the one in your post?

Mike

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Have you bought one?
Yes. Even if I don't like the fit, I can continue to use my current one and the Stash will be good enough as a spare.

Is it you modelling the one in your post?
LOL, no. Sorry to disappoint :p

PS: the firm behind the Stash manufacturing seems dead...I suppose that they are now getting rid of the stocks.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I received mine.

A few points:

* It's white ! My current helmet is black, my bike too...nice for a change :D

* It folds ! Alright, it's not exactly small when folded, but it leaves more room inside my touring bag where I normally put my helmet.

* Do I trust that it will protect me against brain injuries ? Well, just like my current helmet, it doesn't follow the shape of the head tightly-enough to be efficient, in my opinion. These helmets just move around too much when knocked: sideways, but particularly towards the back. Yet my current helmet has got a "wheel dial" adjuster, which really does a good job at tightening the straps. The Stash has no such handy feature, so it's very hard to get the tension right, where it's needed. At any rate, the Stash is no better no worse than all the other helmets I've tried (once the strap tension is adjusted properly, that is).

* Could this helmet make things worse in case of accident ? Well, the same remark applies to my current helmet, in my humble opinion. I think that these kinds of helmets are flawed by design, and are probably more likely to make matters worse with regards to neck injuries (added head volume that increases twist angles, propensity to catch onto something, etc.). I'm also concerned about strangulation, due to how easily the helmet moves backwards when knocked, which results in pulling the strap around the throat.

* Why do I wear a helmet if I don't think it protects me ?? Well, social / peer pressure I suppose. A helmet makes me look like a responsible cyclist when I'm on the road, and my family and friends don't worry so much. It's silly, but until there is a broadly acknowledged consensus about the actual efficiency of cycling helmets (or lack thereof), then I guess we're stuck with our own beliefs. On a more pragmatic basis, I bet that insurance companies would jump on the opportunity to nail someone down for not wearing a helmet. :rolleyes:

* Is the Stash a good buy ? Yes, at that price it's a bargain. I would have been disappointed had I paid the full original price (50-60 GBP).

* Any better alternative ? I don't think that the Dahon Pango will represent better value for money, but it looks like it will fold smaller. I really want to try a Casco helmet: they look like they have been designed to actually protect your head, and these ear warmers look so comfy ! :D

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
yeah, there are air 'bubbles' / pads in the helmet you pump up with the little bulbs near the strap to get a good comfortable fit....

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
yeah, there are air 'bubbles' / pads in the helmet you pump up with the little bulbs near the strap to get a good comfortable fit....
That doesn't fill me with confidence, upon impact the air would escape leaving you mid crash with an ill fitting helmet.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Well, I've not seen one in the flesh but I presumed they where used for fitting / sizing a bit like the pads in a normal helmet...if you did have an accident and they burst I would have thought you'd be throwing the helmet away anyhow...

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Well, I've not seen one in the flesh but I presumed they where used for fitting / sizing a bit like the pads in a normal helmet...if you did have an accident and they burst I would have thought you'd be throwing the helmet away anyhow...
I don't mind throwing the helmet away after an accident but I don't want it to fly off during an accident which is much more likely than with a normal helmet.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009