Haibike Frame mount

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
I have just bought a Haibike trekking with the rail grove on the tube.
My question is (please bare with me) I have seen bottle mounts for £64 which is too expensive in fact bloody ridiculous, is there an alternative rail mount which is reasonably priced?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I have just bought a Haibike trekking with the rail grove on the tube.
My question is (please bare with me) I have seen bottle mounts for £64 which is too expensive in fact bloody ridiculous, is there an alternative rail mount which is reasonably priced?
This may not appeal, but if price is important (I have Scottish Blood, so its always important for me!), what about a DIY version in say stainless steel?
About 12 years ago, I was building a CNC machine, and I needed two small parts welded together x 3. That is 6 parts, to make 3 parts.
So I went to a local Engineering company, I took all the parts with me as I only needed the welding done.
They wanted over 300UK pounds to do a job that for an expert welder, would not take even 10 minutes!
I said "No thanks" and went home.
With the money saved, I bought a MIG/MAG welder from ebay, a quality one, and after reading a book on welding, and a few mistakes made on test metal, I welded up the parts myself!
My first welds were not "pretty", but they were "Pretty strong". Still in use today!
I manage to weld all three up in about 30 minutes, the setting up and alignment took most of that!!
Now I am not saying that I am any sort of a "wonder", because last year I taught my Son in Law, in about 30 minutes, and he is now even better than I am, and he had never welded before in his life! A born natural!
So its really not difficult.....
Maybe a night school welding class? And although the initial outlay is high, after that you are saving money, hand over fist!
Of course, if it is only one job, then it will be too expensive, sadly!
I design things and usually buy metal on ebay, to suit my needs.
Its great fun.
I also keep a neighbour's gardening equipment in good repair to keep my hand in!
I have done many jobs, and although the aim was not to recoup on the investment, I have had my money back several times now!! But who's counting!
Or maybe you have friend who can do welding?
Just a thought, but probably totally impractical for you, but I fully understand why you asked in the first place!
Or make design something in stainless and glue it together with high quality 2 part epoxy?
regards
Andy

Reactions: Woosh

DanD

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 28, 2019
I'd ask whether your Haibkike retailer can supply a pair of the Multimounts (possibly FOC?). They seem to be also available from some of the Haibike stockists for around £5 - £6 and then you can mount any bottle cage you wish.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Thanks I will not weld up new parts as I am stacked out work wise, the time taken is out. I will try my stockist to see what he supplies other than the Haibike rip off fixing lol

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
It does seem absurd. Is the following any good? If I'm reading it right you'll still need a regular bottle cage for a pound or two, and £9.90 shipping seems over the top. Maybe you can find something designed for a curtain rail that will fit?

Thanks for you’re input Andy

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
This may not appeal, but if price is important (I have Scottish Blood, so its always important for me!), what about a DIY version in say stainless steel?
About 12 years ago, I was building a CNC machine, and I needed two small parts welded together x 3. That is 6 parts, to make 3 parts.
So I went to a local Engineering company, I took all the parts with me as I only needed the welding done.
They wanted over 300UK pounds to do a job that for an expert welder, would not take even 10 minutes!
I said "No thanks" and went home.
With the money saved, I bought a MIG/MAG welder from ebay, a quality one, and after reading a book on welding, and a few mistakes made on test metal, I welded up the parts myself!
My first welds were not "pretty", but they were "Pretty strong". Still in use today!
I manage to weld all three up in about 30 minutes, the setting up and alignment took most of that!!
Now I am not saying that I am any sort of a "wonder", because last year I taught my Son in Law, in about 30 minutes, and he is now even better than I am, and he had never welded before in his life! A born natural!
So its really not difficult.....
Maybe a night school welding class? And although the initial outlay is high, after that you are saving money, hand over fist!
Of course, if it is only one job, then it will be too expensive, sadly!
I design things and usually buy metal on ebay, to suit my needs.
Its great fun.
I also keep a neighbour's gardening equipment in good repair to keep my hand in!
I have done many jobs, and although the aim was not to recoup on the investment, I have had my money back several times now!! But who's counting!
Or maybe you have friend who can do welding?
Just a thought, but probably totally impractical for you, but I fully understand why you asked in the first place!
Or make design something in stainless and glue it together with high quality 2 part epoxy?
regards
Andy

Thanks Andy. I’ll go the cheap but it somewhere route.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
As you can see I’m just getting to grips with this forum posting lol. Old age I’m afraid.
Thanks to all who replied.