Haibike SDURO Cross/Trekking vs Cube SUV Hybrid 2015

bbb111

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2015
Moscow
Hi! I will be buying a pedelec in the beginning of April. I live in Moscow and here pedelecs are not that popular, so I don't have a chance to ride one before buying. I did my homework and after a lot of digging I am choosing mostly between this two models:

Cube SUV Hybrid SL 2015 - 3300EUR
http://www.cube.eu/en/bikes/hybrid/suv-hybrid/cube-suv-hybrid-sl-275-glossyngrey-2015/
Haibike SDURO Trekking RC 2015 - 2500EUR
http://www.haibike.de/produkte_detail_en,74932,22699,detail.html

I am also considering similar models from this manufacturers. Like Cube SUV Hybrid PRO and whole range (SDURO/XDURO) Cross/Trekking models from Haibike. Initially I was aiming Xduro Urban, but they only make 59 size frame, which probably will be a bit small for me.

I am 74kg, 193cm height, my foot length is 91 cm. So I thin 60cm road bike and 20" mtb should be alright for me. Also I did not find any pedelecs I like with larger frames, than two manufacturers I mention.

I am buying a bike to ride within the city (commuting to and from work mostly), with occasional rides in parks. I don't think I will be riding trails. However, I would like that my bike would be able to take some abuse. Like going on and off curb, going down not steep short steps, bunny hops and what not. I am not going to do drops, just moderately aggressive riding. Is this even possible with 20 kg bikes? I also obviously want to go fast (which is probably is inconsistent with abuse resistant requirement).

Now to the bikes. Will Haibike Cross/Trekking models can withstand such abuse? I like trekking model because it has presumably faster tires, higher gear, mudguards, customizable transmission and lighting. And importantly better price. I think it should go faster than Cube models. I don't like that there is a suspension fork, because I think that rigid will be better for riding on pavement. As for SUV Hybrid SL/Pro models they seem tougher, SL has rigid fork and fancy transmission. Tires are questionable, because they are big and heavy. However I've read that shwalbe balloon tires roll just as good on higher speed, but accelerate slowly (which I can leave with). I don't like that transmission on both cubes cannot go as high as on Hai. Which will probably set a speed limit. We don't have much hills here, so I don't think I will be needing lower gears as much. Is it possible to change it btw? I am also planning to derestrict whatever I will buy at the end of the day. Yamaha vs Bosch is one thing to consider as well. Yamaha looks a bit better on paper, but I understand that they are almost identical. Ignoring logical arguments, I really like how Cube SL looks more than any other bike, simple, clean and aggressive. Yet really advanced technologically.

TLDR:
Cube SUV Hybrid SL 2015 vs Haibike SDURO Trekking RC? What are trade-offs? Which will be be better, faster stronger. What would you prefer. Why?

Sorry for a long post. This is considerable amount of money for me. That's why I am so clingy.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I rather like the look of the cube, and haven't seen that particular bike before.

Like you, I'd rather not have the addition of cheap and nasty coil sprung suspension on a hybrid bike. Why add extra weight in favour of a questionable ride improvement. If only more manufacturers realised that not everyone wants suspension. Note that there are no mudguard lugs on the forks of the Cube, so take that into consideration.
On that basis alone, I'd go for the cube.
Although I'm not a massive fan of hub gears, that and the belt drive, could or should make for a very maintenance package.

I also like the look of the Yamaha motor though, and it's normal/sensible front sprocket size. Give me that any day of the week. The Haibike looks to be a very good and sensible option, but sensible doesn't mean fun. Back to the Cube again. :)

Sadly it all comes down to personal preferences, so if you can, try to ride both options. Also take into consideration, which bike would be the easiest to get repaired, if something should ever go wrong.

Last edited:

bbb111

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2015
Moscow
Thank you for the advice. Giving it a second thought I think I will go after Haibike. Cube is low maintenance in theory, but if gear hub will break or even when belt/sprockets will wear out finding a service for this thing in Moscow will be nightmare. Because as I found out carbondrive makes bosch/nuvinci specific sprockets and belts. Which probably are not available freely. And I even doubt if service in Moscow will be possible for this thing. If I would be living in Germany I would chose Cube. So overall Haibike is cheaper and the only weak link which can be problematic to repair (in Russia) if something will go wrong is the motor itself. So the only advantage of Cube is how it looks. And it looks like I will have to make this trade off. I also could not find any bikes with rigid forks that I like. So after all I think I will be getting one of Haibike's mtbs and replace tires to match urban environment. I decided on mtb instead of trekking model based on the fork. If I am paying for suspension on the fork I want it to be at least decent one. So not coil suntour. Plus some of theirs mtb models look quite sexy as well.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I am sure you are right about maintenance.

A chain and derailleur can always be fixed somehow, even if direct replacements are not readily available.

Not so with a hub and belt.

If nothing goes wrong, the maker of the belt says it will last about twice as long as a chain.

That's not very long given the extra you pay to have it.

Replacement belts in the UK, if you can get one, are about £75.

A good quality chain is no more than £20.

bbb111

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2015
Moscow
Well those bosch specific belts will probably be even more expensive in Moscow. Plus sprockets(front and back) which are also bosch specific need a replacement from time to time as well. Also I was told that with the mid motor there is increased pressure not only on chain, but on derailleur, cassette and chain. System makes metal sound, like when you are shifting while pedalling on steep hill. Derailleurs really don't like it. So I am not sure if this would be that much cheaper. However with derailleur system finding a service and replacement parts will not be a problem at all. I think that I will start with derailleur and maybe later will buy the NuVinci separately if things will get too bad. I saw units available on amazon and ebay. And they are much cheaper than I expected. It is also possible to mount them with chain.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Much chain wear is caused by the chain running out of line and scraping over the rear cassette during gear changes.

A NuVinci and chain would be a durable and reliable set-up.