Halfords Assist Upgrade

detec52

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2011
Hi all, I have a halfords assist 20ln e bike, I know it's cheap and nasty, but for what I do it has been OK over the last 12 months, its 24v would it be OK to fit a 36v battery to it? Would the controller need upgrading and would the 250w motor be OK? Many thanks for any help. Rob

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's highly likely the controller will smoke, so yes you will have to change to a different controller kit. For 80- 100 quid a KT system giver you nice current control with 5 power level of current and not speed, so you can actually determine how much power to use.

The motor will be fine though the motor rpm will run 50% faster, how fast is actually rotates depends on the rpm specs. Invariably it means the torque will be less but one can over come this a little by providing more current.
Motor efficacy will likely be less.

Does the motor have any markings on it to determine the rpm and what ist the current rating of the controller ?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One suspects the current hub (front ? ) will be approx. 260rpm for 20" wheel.
At 36v it will run at about 390 rpm so quite fast and inefficient for a smaller wheel but as mentioned some of the deficiency can be offset by using a bit more current at 36v then that used at 24v.

A lot will depend on the bike usage.