Halfords non transferable Warranty

Paddlers

Just Joined
May 13, 2024
Just received a Carrera Vengeance electric bike from a family member . One year old with three year cycle care plan purchased with the bike. I've just returned from Halfords Northallerton where two characters will & rhys (deliberate non use of capitals) joyfully told me that the bike was longer covered by the two year electrical warranty or the remaining two years of care plan .
Apparently this is because I'm not the original purchaser . Surely the care plan/warranty applies to the bike ?? Kia cars warranty lasts 7 years, Halfords ????
I only wanted the bike checked over and basic maintenance done ?/

Attachments

Paddlers

Just Joined
May 13, 2024
Good point but he lives 50 miles away . Only picked the thing up Saturday . If I'd have known that this was an issue I'd have got him to sort it his end and pay the bill !!! Halfords telephone chat said that the store was incorrect but it's been kicked upstairs their end for clarification. Might take 48 hours for a reply .

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Good point but he lives 50 miles away . Only picked the thing up Saturday . If I'd have known that this was an issue I'd have got him to sort it his end and pay the bill !!! Halfords telephone chat said that the store was incorrect but it's been kicked upstairs their end for clarification. Might take 48 hours for a reply .
Maybe if they tell you that you're not covered, tell them that in that case you'll be returning the bike to the seller. ;)

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Surely the care plan/warranty applies to the bike ??
https://www.halfords.com/help-and-advice/cyclecare-plans-terms-conditions.html?_gl=1*1buz3j7*_up*MQ..*_ga*NDk5MDkyNzUxLjE3MTU2MDI3NzI.*_ga_EG1MQMYCLS*MTcxNTYwMjc3Mi4xLjAuMTcxNTYwMjc3Mi4wLjAuMA..*_ga_VK44BRER97*MTcxNTYwMjc3Mi4xLjAuMTcxNTYwMjc3Mi4wLjAuMA..

"Benefits can only be used by the person and the one bike registered for the Plan. For the avoidance of doubt, sharing your Plan is a breach of these Conditions and any attempted use of a Plan by someone other than the person registered to the Plan will result in your Plan being frozen and you will not be entitled to use any other Benefits"

"Benefits cannot be sold, loaned or given away to or used by a third party. A benefit will automatically become void without a refund if sold, loaned or given away or if any attempt is made to sell, loan or give it away"

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
what does the policy document say? It might be buried but should be there.. dont just accept what your told by the 'helpful' staff.

if you dont have the papers it should be online?

thats the whole point of a contract, every one knows where abouts ish they stand..

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
If it's from a family member, why don't you get them to take it in?

I could not agree more

Could you imagine the mis use of guarantees if people did transfer them it isn't rocket science, you would have shops, garages unable to cope with people WRONGLY expecting to claim when buying pre owned off ebay etc LOL where the sellers say comes with 2 years remaining on care plan

Paddlers

Just Joined
May 13, 2024
The only reason that I went to Halfords was to maintain the warranty conditions in a similar way to outboard engines which often have a condition requiring annual service by a recognised dealer . The bike itself is in excellent condition so I just changed the tyres from off road to hybrid , checked everything over and at under 500 miles from new it should last me a while . The attitude of the Northallerton staff and their totally unhelpful almost sneering at the fact that I'd even asked was a part of the problem . It's a heads up for customers considering purchasing bikes from Halfords generally that warranties/careplans aren't honoured if you're not the original purchaser .
Thanks for all the input. Enjoy the current spell of weather.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
welcome to the world of ebikes and when warranty ends your left with a door stop, some bikes can have a warranty transfer but most of them wont.

i got my 5k bike 2nd hand and it was bought from ebike shop the biggest haibike dealer in the country but because i am not the original owner they wont even sell me parts 10 years later.

Reactions: Paddlers

Paddlers

Just Joined
May 13, 2024
Thanks for that Soundwave . I'd have bought new but it's a taster as although my Wife has a couple of expensive roadbikes I'm more of an engine lover .
We went down to the local town Saturday for a couple of pints & fish + chips . We're going motorhoming later in the year for a couple of years and wanted something easy for the inevitable let's go into town/beach . Being a bit of a chubba the thought of pedalling furiously didn't appeal.
I'll certainly look at new if I like it enough , just not Halfords.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i paddle about at 100-120rpm not 1 road bike has beaten me i can sprint for 7 miles then need a bigmac meal and pint of strong cider and a spliff ;)

Reactions: Paddlers

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The attitude of the Northallerton staff and their totally unhelpful almost sneering at the fact that I'd even asked was a part of the problem . It's a heads up for customers considering purchasing bikes from Halfords generally that warranties/careplans aren't honoured if you're not the original purchaser .
Well its been said on here quite a few times about Halfords, buyer beware.

But regardless, the terms and conditions of the so called 'warranty' seem clear, its not transferrable, a normal condition for so called warrenties perhaps..

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
The only reason that I went to Halfords was to maintain the warranty conditions in a similar way to outboard engines which often have a condition requiring annual service by a recognised dealer . The bike itself is in excellent condition so I just changed the tyres from off road to hybrid , checked everything over and at under 500 miles from new it should last me a while . The attitude of the Northallerton staff and their totally unhelpful almost sneering at the fact that I'd even asked was a part of the problem . It's a heads up for customers considering purchasing bikes from Halfords generally that warranties/careplans aren't honoured if you're not the original purchaser .
Thanks for all the input. Enjoy the current spell of weather.

I wouldn't buy a bike from Halfords anyway, the reviews for a start are terrible their bikes are unreliable and break down more than any other. ( Is that brake or break ?)

Ok they are cheap but so what.

I have said here before Halfords has gone to the dogs.

The call centre is now in India GOOD LUCK getting a person in a branch to talk to.

In our branch Aberystwyth which is better than many if you can find a member of staff to ask anything of good luck.

As for service my bikes in Halfords NOT a chance in hell.

Also people moan about the service but do nothing about it, such as leave negative feedback.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I wouldn't buy a bike from Halfords anyway, the reviews for a start are terrible their bikes are unreliable and break down more than any other. ( Is that brake or break ?)

Ok they are cheap but so what.

I have said here before Halfords has gone to the dogs.
If you wouldn't buy a bike from Halfords, then why do you comment on quality of products sold by them?
At this moment I have 3 bikes in my shed I bought at Halfords. All of them are of very good quality and fantastic value for money.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
The attitude of the Northallerton staff and their totally unhelpful almost sneering at the fact that I'd even asked was a part of the problem
It is not Halfords staff attitude that is a problem. Your attitude is.
You demand service you are not entitled to.

It's a heads up for customers considering purchasing bikes from Halfords generally that warranties/careplans aren't honoured if you're not the original purchaser .
Not all warranties are transferable. If in doubt read terms and conditions.

• Agree
Reactions: StuartsProjects