Has anyone tried to register an S-class in the UK?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All this can be put on any bicycle.The problem is just the tyres for a 26"/700cc etc.If you use a 20" wheels you can get motorcycle tyres.

Sent from my D101 using Tapatalk
Yes, these features can be added if someone has the knowledge, but the point is that as supplied the S class bikes have not been type approved as is being claimed.

That will put any prospective owner to a lot of trouble and expense to modify and get SVA. In any case, there is no SVA possible for L1e-B at present, and no prospect of one before 2018.

Mar 9, 2016
No chance, as those who've tried and had to jump through hoops to succeed have showed.

The problem is the omissions. If an S class bike is presented, it lacks the following mandatory items:

Rear View Mirror to spec.

Stop light operating from either brake.

Rear number plate illumination.

Moped type horn.

Motor vehicle rated tyres.

No tester valuing his job will nod though a bike without mandatory items. In any case it would be irresponsible since it would leave the owner liable to prosecution for using in that state. After all, any bike with a number plate will be a traffic police magnet, and they wont fail to notice the omissions.

In addition to the above, S class bike headlights don't normally meet the L1e-B beam requirements.
Been out of all this a while now ( its why I stopped and did stuff not needing sva/ registration)
Used to find the practical stuff you could cope with , if they accept the CoC essentially for wrong group you can sort it..
There always ways around issues you can sort with spanners...
( We once got an race prepped R1 engine through emissions running two Cats , water injection and a customised power commander, a few lights and switches should be ok, speed rated tyres might be more difficult)
Like I said earlier , stupidly all SVA stuff can then come off afterwards..legally. Just keep stuff for mot...
Its bonkers.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
About £200 for parts and test,depending where you get them from.This thread is about has any one tried to register a S- class.There has only been about 3 L1e-B's on here all homemade.I can only find one L1e-A and that's petrol driven.There could be more and maybe some scooters.I know the S- class is not up to scratch.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Not sure,but don't enduro bikes have there own L class in the MSVA.Over to KTM on this one.Scores on the doors homebuilt 4, big boys O,Chinese scooters unknown so they get nil.

Mar 9, 2016
Would an emtb not qualify as enduro class? What excludes it ? I,d guess speed rating for tyres again ? Removes all problems with lights etc..
Again I,d be taking one to a station after down loading requirements and having a read. No probs with emmisions .. Cant see why not but you are right KTM would know regs and rules...
Def worth a try.
If you are thinking of it, hurry up tho. If there is a loophole there they,ll soon fill it..

Last edited:
Reactions: craiggor

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I keep saying tamper proof.I can't find that in the MSVA manual now.I'm sure that I read that some where. I even had a plan how to make my display tamper Proof.You got to laugh at the 16 mph,can't find any info on 10% extra.And I thought the speedometer had to be tested to be within 5% accuratce,can't find that now.
Those are in the testing section: 10% for factory built and 5% for one off.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The problem is the omissions. If an S class bike is presented, it lacks the following mandatory items:

Rear View Mirror to spec.

Stop light operating from either brake.

Rear number plate illumination.

Moped type horn.

Motor vehicle rated tyres.
I disagree with you on this flecc, all of these components are on the s-class bikes I have seen for sale except for the horn:

- b+m rear view mirrors are seen on most photos of s-pedelecs.
- Many companies use a Supernova on the front and a b+m light on the back, the Supernova has low beam/high beam and dayligh running LEDs.
- Magura MT5e brakes (lever with ball ends and brake light switch)
- and Schwalbe makes approved tyres, you can even buy them for your bike!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I disagree with you on this flecc, all of these components are on the s-class bikes I have seen for sale except for the horn:

- Many companies use a Supernova on the front and a b+m light on the back, the Supernova has low beam/high beam and dayligh running LEDs.
Maybe in France, but not in the UK. Here the few S class bikes like the Kalkhoffs have only some of these fitted and until very recently none. The Kalkhoffs have always had a number plate bracket and have recently added a mirror but the headlight doesn't appear to be the right type. The brake levers may be with stop light switches, that I don't know. There's obviously a lot to do to get one up to the standards.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2016
Day time reg.has no lights..
Speedo is an easy fix..loads of firms do pulse modifier. ( a legal use of dongle ) We had to put adjustable one on car, examiner fine for you to adjust during test. But easy to make accurate with gps.
The error has to be high BTW...cant read slow...( ie if it says 30 and you are doing 31 fail.....if it says 31 and doing 30 fine..)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The German bike has the rear view mirror. Front light seems to be bespoke but the rest of the kit is their except for the horn.
And there's no rear number plate illumination on some of them. Don't rely on the photo on 50cycles website, note the mirror on the left, clearly a photo of a German S class bike.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Yep 2 mirrors needed for L1e-b,don't think there's there is a set size for the lights,just dip and main beam .Must have indicators.In the photo of the petrol L1e -a the tester wanted piping on the mudguards.I think if you can get the mudguards close enough to the wheel no piping needed.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
But would you want to go through all the hassle and uncertainty of gaining registration if you have just forked out £5k.
If there was a way,it would be in the interest of these importers to tell us how to do it.....these importers tend to be silent the moment they are pressed on which bike has achieved registration and how?
I just wish they would all be honest and state in their advertising that these S-class bikes have no means of registration,if you use one on our roads you risk prosecution,it is owner's risk.
KudosDave

Reactions: flecc

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015

The tyres need to be e/dot marked speed rated.Can you post a link or a photo of the e mark and speed rating.I will buy some if they are.Ball ends for the leavers can be made with chemical metal/ jb weld.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But would you want to go through all the hassle and uncertainty of gaining registration if you have just forked out £5k.
Not only that, as d8veh said earlier, afterwards confined to the roads, unable to use cyclepaths, shared use paths, bridleways and Sustrans routes. And not much fun on a hot day, cycling in a motorcycling helmet or risking a similar all over design.

If we eventually get the S class, possibly ok though still restrictive, but using it as an L1e-B moped I see as a very poor substitute for real e-biking.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Not only that, as d8veh said earlier, afterwards confined to the roads, unable to use cyclepaths, shared use paths, bridleways and Sustrans routes. And not much fun on a hot day, cycling in a motorcycling helmet or risking a similar all over design.

If we eventually get the S class, possibly ok though still restrictive, but using it as an L1e-B moped I see as a very poor substitute for real e-biking.
I can't see the s class ever been made legal in UK.How can you have a 24/28mph bike with only a cycle helmet when you have to wear a motorcycle helmet on a 16 mph L1e-A.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can't see the s class ever been made legal in UK.How can you have a 24/28mph bike with only a cycle helmet when you have to wear a motorcycle helmet on a 16 mph L1e-A.

I agree it's completely irrational, but Switzerland, Germany, The Netherlands and soon France seem to think it's ok.

As the saying goes, "The law is an ass".

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Claire Rees has stopped working on motorcycles.Was she restoring a Norton or Kawasaki.Will the new guy be any better.

Reactions: flecc

Advertisers