Heavy Hybrid under cycle to work scheme?

Big Al your Pal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 11, 2018
Going to rehash a recurring theme.

My work turns the cycle to work scheme on and off, with availability for about 6 weeks. I had a deposit for a shop soiled Pulse ZR2 and safety kit++ from Evans, while I waited to be registered with the work benefits provider. It didn't go well.

The scheme came up again and and I just went for the maximum and after many weeks waiting I've got the go ahead, only the Pulse ZR2 is no long available & I'm not so keen on the Pulse ZL2 styling with the low bar

I may well have dodged a bullet given the small battery, but I'm at a loss at what to get now and where to get it.

I liked the rear hub, lights, hybrid style frame, the rack mounted battery and long mud guards as it seemed to be a less obvious and awkwardly styled ebike (with the panniers the hub almost disappears)

I am a very heavy rider, but the ZR2 seemed to cope fine. So bearing this in mind, where would I sink my £1k, bearing in mind I know it will be a real compromise.

John doncaster dn6

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2018
I was watching this as I'm potentially in a similar position.

I noticed the cross fire at halfords was a hybrid reduced to £1000 but has gone back up to £1250.

I know they have problems but I'm thinking the bike wouldn't of cost a lot spread over 12 months and 2 year warranty.

Hopefully the cut out problems would be sorted soon although they would appear to not have a clue.

I have a 4 mile round trip to work and fairly flat so it should be light work for the bike despite 100kg weight.

I'll probably end up in a halfords sale unless something obvious comes up.

I am considering a private purchase too but needs to make financial sense.

Warranty and tax breaks really appeal to buy new.

Big Al your Pal

Jul 11, 2018
The £1000 max spend on an ebike is a bit of a problem for the 'cycle to work's scheme in the sense that you can't always get an almost perfect ebike. And you can't add a few quid to get a slightly better one, as far as I can see

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
almost all the bike shops will let you top up the £1,000 voucher for the bike you want. Typically, the scheme provider takes 10% commission, some shops have enough profit margin to take the 10% hit, others may let you buy the equivalent of £900 if it were paid in cash.

Reactions: Big Al your Pal

John doncaster dn6

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2018
I believe it can be topped up by yourself.

I think just making the limit 2k would have a massive benefit to the scheme.

As I've read before it's a cycle2work scheme and not a top bike on the cheap. Your company if it has a credit lender thing can raise the limit, I think!!

I'd only be prepared to pay £200-300 on top and sacrifice choice and quality.

Good luck with the search and post up what you end up with.

Alistair Paul

Sep 9, 2018
Going to rehash a recurring theme.

My work turns the cycle to work scheme on and off, with availability for about 6 weeks. I had a deposit for a shop soiled Pulse ZR2 and safety kit++ from Evans, while I waited to be registered with the work benefits provider. It didn't go well.

The scheme came up again and and I just went for the maximum and after many weeks waiting I've got the go ahead, only the Pulse ZR2 is no long available & I'm not so keen on the Pulse ZL2 styling with the low bar

I may well have dodged a bullet given the small battery, but I'm at a loss at what to get now and where to get it.

I liked the rear hub, lights, hybrid style frame, the rack mounted battery and long mud guards as it seemed to be a less obvious and awkwardly styled ebike (with the panniers the hub almost disappears)

I am a very heavy rider, but the ZR2 seemed to cope fine. So bearing this in mind, where would I sink my £1k, bearing in mind I know it will be a real compromise.
Convince your employer to use Green commute initiative. No 1k limit.

Unseen

Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2016
Manchester, UK
I believe it can be topped up by yourself.

I think just making the limit 2k would have a massive benefit to the scheme.

As I've read before it's a cycle2work scheme and not a top bike on the cheap. Your company if it has a credit lender thing can raise the limit, I think!!

I'd only be prepared to pay £200-300 on top and sacrifice choice and quality.

Good luck with the search and post up what you end up with.
That's correct, your employer has to become a credit lender and be assessed before they will increase the limit. The hospital I work for did this a few years ago.

Big Al your Pal

Jul 11, 2018
Quite like the look of this Woosh Rio and it's back hub, as the big hub on the front wheel of the Big Bear is not very aesthetically pleasing (which probably suits me otherwise - but the look of that front hub is a deal breaker for me & I'm sure for others). I'd definitely need longer mudguards, a more comfortable seat and panniers would help too.

Reactions: IwanEllis

Big Al your Pal

Jul 11, 2018
Well, I visited the Woosh shop today and had a short test ride of a couple of bikes, the Big Bear and the Rio Fatboy, as the Rio MTB was just too small for me. Liked both of them in the flesh, but I wasn't as keen on the suspension forks, so it's a 17 aHr Fat Boy for a Fat Man.

Looking forward to getting a little fitter and having the power of the Fatboy to get up a few hills.

Now to find a decent D- lock.

Reactions: Dewey and Woosh