Hello fellow Pedelecs

AlanRHB

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2019
Hello to all e-bicyclists on this very informative website.
I have been gleaming information from here for a little while, in order to learn a little about the e-bike, it's culture and community, so thought that I should introduce myself before asking my own question or two.

I cycled as a child in Cheshire, mainly early morning paper rounds from the age of 10yrs, then also an evening + Saturday morning grocery delivery on the traditional order bike with small wheel and large basket on the front.
A few tumbles over the handlebars on that beast, luckily when empty as mostly pushing the bike when laden..

An old 38cc petrol friction drive, then 98cc Excelsior autocycle (ridden underage) led to my forsaking my faithful Raleigh push bike for various motorcycles (Road and track) until marrying for the first time in my 21st year (home-work- car ect ...

Now, 50 odd years later after heart disease, COPD and arthritis have reduced my fitness, I recently bought an old e-bike with defunct 24v SLA batteries which I have rendered useable with a couple of used but good mobility scooter batteries (12v 33ah in series) mounted in the area below and behind the seat, near to the position of the original.

As I try only to use pedal assist, I hope that this heavy old steed will help me get back to full fitness in time, as well as the enjoyment of maintaining and modifying my "green machine"

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Well done getting it working again. Enjoy and get fit.

You mention a rebuild in your signature. If you don't feel up to doing it yourself everyone seems to recommend Jimmy (I've no direct experience/recommendation): I think he is BGA reworking but I may be wrong. https://bga-reworking.co.uk/product-category/all-products/e-bike-batteries/

Others have commented that if you can source a direct replacement battery it will probably be cheaper than a rebuild.

Reactions: AlanRHB

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi Alan and welcome

Congrats on getting it working again :)

Yep its gonna be heavy but also hopefully fun:)

If you ever do consider upgrading please come back for advice. Some older bikes have brushed motors whereas everything is brushless these days. Which causes a few complications.

without going into details (unless you are interested) I would do no further expenditure on a brushed system other than you have ie new SLA batteries.

If you wanted a newer/lighter/more powerful/longer ranged bike as your fitness improves my gut feel is your be better off selling your working SLA steed and purchasing something with a brushless setup

If you want to know whether you have brushed or brushless? Cou t the wires leaving the motor. 2 is brushed and 3 is brushless

Cheers

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Even if the motor is brushed you can make the bike a few lbs lighter by using retrofitting a lion battery in the future if you wish to.

As Kirstin knows the red bike (a rare piece of history) in my avatar uses a brushed motor, I have two one was lipo powered and one NiMh powered, both are now powerd by lion celled batteries.

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Even if the motor is brushed you can make the bike a few lbs lighter by using retrofitting a lion battery in the future if you wish to.

As Kirstin knows the red bike (a rare piece of history) in my avatar uses a brushed motor, I have two one was lipo powered and one NiMh powered, both are now powerd by lion celled batteries.
Ahh but your bike is rather special !

Your average brushed, old brushed chinese job would not warrant it

AlanRHB

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2019
Cheers Fat Rat, sjpt, Nealh and KirstinS, I believe that it has a brushless motor, but will check the wiring from motor to controller to make sure, and open a new topic later in the relevant area.
Label on the rear hub...

E6D96145-BE82-468A-8905-B6BC4A980C1B.jpeg

Reactions: KirstinS

AlanRHB

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2019
Please tell more Nealh... or a link or two. My appetite is well and truly whetted...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Here you go Alan the ' rare bit of history thread' enjoy.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
By your picture your hub is a modern geared brushless hub as the label states it so Alan.

AlanRHB

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2019
Here you go Alan the ' rare bit of history thread' enjoy./QUOTE]

Thank you for the link Neal. It is a fascinating read very well written, what an ebike. a real character.