Hello from an e-bike newbie - Freego Eagle

MOF

Just Joined
Feb 24, 2021
Hello, I've recently bought a used Freego Eagle via an ebay auction, searching for ebikes using "nearest first" and then "collection only" which I find is an excellent way to get stuff for a good price. In this case I was the only bidder and got the bike for just over £400. As it was nearby, I was able to see and test the bike before bidding.

So far I'm really pleased with the bike. It's not in pristine condition but quite tidy enough. It's needed a few adjustments to the SIS and some replacement disc pads but a bonus is that the battery has been recently recelled, apparently from 10Ah to 17Ah. Battery life appears well up to spec. It's proving a great way to try out an ebike and I have to say, I'm impressed. The SIS still isn't quite right but it looks like a worn thumbshifter could be the problem. I've got a new shifter and cable to fit, a cheap enough fix.

There are fittings for a frame lock, so I've added an Abus 335 lock which goes on quite nicely.

Using a GPS speedo, I've reached 18½ mph with me pedalling and the power set to medium. Not too shabby for an overweight unfit bloke. My next goal is to trigger the 20mph warning sign around the corner from where I live!

I very nearly converted my Dawes Geneva city bike but decided not to after reading about the pros and cons of various conversions. The Dawes was another ebay collection-only bargain.

Mark

Reactions: pentiumofborg

Leaperslair

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 11, 2021
Hi Mark
good luck with your Eagle ! I have a hawk which was given to me after sitting outside for 18mths ! Battery nackered. new one .got bike working 5 mins then stopped .
bottom line after chatting with a guy on here who if very knowledgeable ive
now ordered a new controller and lcd display etc so hopefully getting the hawk running again .

MOF

Just Joined
Feb 24, 2021
Hi Mark
good luck with your Eagle ! I have a hawk which was given to me after sitting outside for 18mths ! Battery nackered. new one .got bike working 5 mins then stopped .
bottom line after chatting with a guy on here who if very knowledgeable ive
now ordered a new controller and lcd display etc so hopefully getting the hawk running again .
Thanks.

Mine must be about 3 or 4 years old at least. The previous owner also bought it secondhand and found that he had to get the battery recelled, costing him a couple of hundred quid.

Are you using this kit to get it going?
Claims to be an easy fit and to get a bike running better than the factory setup.

I'd be interest to hear how you get on.

Mark

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's quite dear for a controller kit though i tis hassle free and the seller has to make money.
The controller is Lishui, there is nothing special in the kit.
For about £70 one can get the same stuff in KT set up.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Are you using this kit to get it going?
Claims to be an easy fit and to get a bike running better than the factory setup.
£100 would be about right and enough for you to make a tidy profit. £185 is ridiculous when you can get a plug and play KT system that's better for only £70.

Also, £85 for a £10 charger is equally ridiculous. This is the same charger:

Last edited:

Leaperslair

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 11, 2021
It's quite dear for a controller kit though i tis hassle free and the seller has to make money.
The controller is Lishui, there is nothing special in the kit.
For about £70 one can get the same stuff in KT set up.
That’s what I bought £70 quid waiting for it from China

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
Mine must be about 3 or 4 years old at least.

Mark
[/QUOTE]
I would say possibly 8+ years old looking at all of the clues in your pic. The frame number will tell you for certain. The year of manufacture is the 2 numbers after the letters FX.