Hello from Australia, on a Freego Eagle

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
I have already asked a few questions and made a few posts, love the forum, so thought I'd say hello properly.

I am retired and overweight. I weigh 120kg, and thought it was time to get some exercise. I rode a bike a lot before I was old enough to get a car licence, but not since then, and given the many hills I need to cope with, my one experience with bike riding, on a normal geared bike, put me off completely.

More recently, I began noticing that my car spends a lot of time sitting in the garage, because we tend to use the wife's car when we go out. This got me thinking about a scooter, or something to replace the second car. Then, I started thinking about battery power, and tried to search online for electric scooters. Found nothing but mobility scooters - but I am not ready for that yet :)

However, I stumbled across electric pedal assisted bikes, started to read about them, and was intrigued. I rented an ebike for a couple of hours and loved it. I was hooked. I really liked that it didn't let me sit and do nothing, that I still had to get some exercise, especially on hills.

My purchase was a Freego Eagle. I wasn't ready to outlay more than about $2000, and the Eagle came in under that. It is Australian compliant to the older specs, i.e. a 200W motor. It seems they sell them with a 250W motor as well, but they don't have the throttle control, which I find nice for negotiating places where I need to go very slow.

I don't know what other variations have been made for the Australian market, but it has disc brakes front and rear, Kenda tyres with Kshield, 36V 16AH Lion battery, 7 speed Shimano gears. It is a step through design. The only thing I changed was to get a softer seat. My backside is not tough enough yet and I needed more padding :) .

2 rides so far, both about 20-25km. Thoroughly enjoyable, even having to get down to low gear a few times for hills. Already feeling fitter (yeah, I know, probably just psychological). I don't think I'll regret not having a 250W motor. I can get up the hills without standing up on the pedals, and as I get fitter, the only thing that I'll do is turn the power down - so looks like it is powerful enough for me.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Hi, good to see more Ozzies showing up here especially as our Ebike rules are now basically the same.
Riding ebikes if very addictive though :)

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
Hi, good to see more Ozzies showing up here especially as our Ebike rules are now basically the same.
Riding ebikes if very addictive though :)
Figures as I bought a bike from the UK, this forrum is quite appropriate.

...and I am counting on the addiction to fool myself into doing lot's of exercise :)

D

Deleted member 4366

Can you show a photo of your "200w" motor. It wouldn't surprise me if it's the normal Dapu motor with 200w written on it. A real 200w motor would be uselees with your weight.

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
Sure, here's 2 photos showing the stick on 200w label and the embossed motor name. It says 8FUN which I thought might be Bafang?

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
7 gears (Shimano). Will take some measurements and more photos tomorrow (it's night time here now, and I'm cooking :) ).

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
Managed to slip away and get another photo :) Found it hard to measure the hub, but the outside diameter of the rim that the spokes fit through is about 130, or so, mm, so I guess it's 120 where the spokes attach.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, looks like a standard 250w SWX type Bafang. The rating is pretty meaningless.'

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
Well, I am not worried, as Australia allows 250W now anyway I am told. It certainly felt as powerful, perhaps more, than a 250W direct drive bike I tried before buying this one.