Hello from Germany

EvilDrBA

Just Joined
Nov 28, 2023
Hi all!
Thanks for having me! I am a Frenchman living in Germany, and bought my first e-bike last week, as we live up-hill and my stamina is not exactly adapted (due to lack of regular training, age and asthma, so I though I will die once after a big flat trip (went ok) followed by the return home up-hill (didn't go ok :) ) ). I still want to work for it, so bought a simple Decathlon Riverside 500e. Still the hill is much flatter now so I am happy. And on flat I need to pedal as much as the hub is breaking the bike, so it's still a decent exercise.
Joined the forum to see what other have and do, and follow on the future of e-bike. I am also interested by conversion, though I will probably never do one myself.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Welcome to the forum, you sound much like me. Also an asthma sufferer I also ahve the eapc to help me esp on the ascents.

Reactions: EvilDrBA

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
welcome, for your conversion, just wait for the perfect donor bike in your locality going for a bargain price 2nd hand, if you can fix a puncture its a doddle ;)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi all!
Thanks for having me! I am a Frenchman living in Germany, and bought my first e-bike last week, as we live up-hill and my stamina is not exactly adapted (due to lack of regular training, age and asthma, so I though I will die once after a big flat trip (went ok) followed by the return home up-hill (didn't go ok :) ) ). I still want to work for it, so bought a simple Decathlon Riverside 500e. Still the hill is much flatter now so I am happy. And on flat I need to pedal as much as the hub is breaking the bike, so it's still a decent exercise.
Joined the forum to see what other have and do, and follow on the future of e-bike. I am also interested by conversion, though I will probably never do one myself.
Welcome. That's how I started in 2010, when I couldn't ride my bike up the hill from the shops. Within a couple of years, I was doing 80 mile rides with my electric bike, and a few weeks later I was doing 80 mile rides on a road bike at 67 years old.

EvilDrBA

Just Joined
Nov 28, 2023
Welcome. That's how I started in 2010, when I couldn't ride my bike up the hill from the shops. Within a couple of years, I was doing 80 mile rides with my electric bike, and a few weeks later I was doing 80 mile rides on a road bike at 67 years old.
Wow :) . I am not planning to go that far (yet) as I mostly ride with my son (or for commuting alone). And if there is any kind of serious ascend I am afraid that even with training it's gonna be hard due to asthma (that get started if I push a bit too far for a bit too long, so frustrating) and lack of patience, so I can't use the lowest gear whatsoever :D.
But we shall see, having the e-bike really get the sting off the hill and I want to ride more, so maybe...

EvilDrBA

Just Joined
Nov 28, 2023
welcome, for your conversion, just wait for the perfect donor bike in your locality going for a bargain price 2nd hand, if you can fix a puncture its a doddle ;)
Well, now we don't have the room for another bike :). And I quite like my regular MTB so intend to ride it still ;). Maybe in the future. Otherwise yes, we can find cheap second hand bikes quite easily around, so it's a good tip!

EvilDrBA

Just Joined
Nov 28, 2023
Welcome to the forum, you sound much like me. Also an asthma sufferer I also ahve the eapc to help me esp on the ascents.
Yep, it really works fine with the asthma. A smaller help would also have been great for me when I was younger, just to remove the risk in the ascent and not be stuck somewhere waiting for the regular breath to come back (luckily for me with an understanding friend around)...