Hello from Scotland - another Bafang 750

wokkie

Just Joined
Jun 1, 2016
NE Scotland
Hello everyone

Greetings, and thanks for a great forum here with lots of great information.

I got a Bafang 750 with a 20 amp battery from Pedalease, and put it on my old Trek 800. But then decided I needed disc brakes, so it was cheaper just to buy a Gary Fisher (£145) on Gumtree than to retrofit the Trek. I did like the Trek frame better than the Gary Fisher though, but it was worth it for the brakes and additional gear (8 speed vs 7). The Gary Fisher also

Everything went well with the purchase. I had initially planned on buying from Paul at Emv3, but the delivery costs made it daft. As it turned out, I got the Bafang with the latest controller setup (judging by the date/number on the motor), and the battery and charger so far have been better than expected. I also bought a programming cable, but so far haven't used it or seen a need to use it.

Installing the kit was easy, though I still haven't found a great way of mounting the battery. I also broke one chain early on, but that was probably due to poor adjustment. I'm running fine now even if it does look a bit industrial. I fitted the bafang brake lever with the cut out on the front brake only so that I didn't have to meddle with the gear lever on the other side. Seems to be good enough.

13230822_1586823058314154_1372871165_o.jpg

I do use the roads to get to the hills, and never had cause to worry, but I mainly like to get off-road, where I can have a bit of fun. I've done more than 60 miles on a run and still had two bars of battery left. Cycling home after a hard day on the hills, I often just motor home on full throttle, around 30. That works well in easing the legs. Full throttle is faster than trying to pedal, where I spin out around 25, and I usually have plenty battery to play with anyway.

That photo below is me up towards the top of the Cairn o' Mount. I was embarrassed passing the lycras on the way up, and usually mumbled an apology. No-one seemed to notice that I was "assisted", or at least no-one snarled at me.gary-bafang.jpg

One of my knees has packed in, so ebiking is just the thing to get me back on the road. I love it, and I am still glad I went for the bafang!

top drive

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2016
ABerdoom
hey wokkie , Is it still going strong.

going by that picture your local to me ! How does the 750 cope with the COM climb then ? sounds promising as i plan to mount mine on an xtracycle converted Kona sutra which could weigh up to 350lbs all up when loaded.......

D

Deleted member 4366

If anybody is going for any of the higher powered BBS motors, It's worth the slightly extra cost to get the stuff from Em3ev.com - just for the battery. They do a 14S triangle battery that gives 19Ah and comes with a nice triangle bag with plenty of room to put other stuff in, like tools and waterproofs. The battery itself is not that large. Everything is pre-wired for easy installation. You also save a bit on the gear sensor, which is definitely worth having.

There's a fair chance that you won't have to pay any duty!

top drive

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2016
ABerdoom
I'm not that lucky I will likely pay double duty.

Pedal ease looks good from a little hassle issue.

the kit suggested from Em3EV costs £827 + 160 quid for shipping plus risk of duty @ a couple hundred - you see why now pedalease kinda appeals ?

Last edited:

wokkie

Just Joined
Jun 1, 2016
NE Scotland
hey wokkie , Is it still going strong.

going by that picture your local to me ! How does the 750 cope with the COM climb then ? sounds promising as i plan to mount mine on an xtracycle converted Kona sutra which could weigh up to 350lbs all up when loaded.......
Hi, good to hear from a local!
No problem with the climb at all, although I did pedal a bit too, though would probably have managed without pedalling I guess. Motor is still going well, though I am having trouble right now with the battery blowing up chargers. Not easy to resolve when you don't know much about electrics! Very frustrating actually, but still a few things I haven't tried. I hope I haven't fried both my chargers, or the battery, which was expensive. Been out of commission now for a fortnight, and I am missing it a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: top drive

top drive

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2016
ABerdoom
how are pedalease responding on this matter ? is there aftersales any good.

if not then it might be a selling point to go to em3EV and just suck up the cost as it seems aftersales is pretty important.

wokkie

Just Joined
Jun 1, 2016
NE Scotland
how are pedalease responding on this matter ? is there aftersales any good.

if not then it might be a selling point to go to em3EV and just suck up the cost as it seems aftersales is pretty important.
No, as expected, pedalease become hard to reach when you have problems. I kind of understand it though, as they are charging close to chinese prices and won't have a margin for breakdowns and repairs. If I were local to them I'd be able to visit and discuss, but as it is, I couldn't even get a new battery charger from them with the same spec.

• Informative
Reactions: top drive

top drive

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2016
ABerdoom
thanks for that - thats a game changer.

No excuse for shitty aftersales , If you dont charge enough to offer good aftersales you wont be around for long.

I spent A LONG time in the cycle sales industry and the one thing i learnt is never race to the bottom on price - it will only hurt you long term. The guys that race to the bottom will go as quick as they came - i watched many shops around us go under while trying that game.