Hello from West Fife

Kamakiriad

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2013
Hi everyone, what a great forum this is!

Graeme here, 50, from West Fife. Two months ago I did a bit of research and put down a deposit on a Kalkhoff Pro Connect X27. It has been a long time since I have cycled on roads, and so far the bike has given me enormous pleasure. Without the battery boost I simply wouldn't be riding a bike.

Reasonably fit but rusty, I started with a few gentle runs on the cycleways around Alloa to get used to the bike. Got a bit frustrated a couple of times forgetting to switch the battery on and wondering why the screen wouldn't light up, lol. There have been a couple of niggles with the rear mudguard and fitting a bottle cage but now sorted. Have spent a small fortune on all the cycling gear and paraphernalia!

Thought my considerably hilly 26-mile commute might be a bit ambitious, but am pleased to report I have now tackled it seven times. Average speed 16 mph. The battery holds just enough charge to get there and back on level 3. Unfortunately I have been getting a painful left knee. Haven't ridden the bike for two weeks and it has cleared up, I will try a higher cadence.

Happy to hear from anyone local who pedelecs.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Hi everyone, what a great forum this is!

Graeme here, 50, from West Fife.... Unfortunately I have been getting a painful left knee. Haven't ridden the bike for two weeks and it has cleared up, I will try a higher cadence.

Happy to hear from anyone local who pedelecs.
Hello Graeme,
and welcome. I have the same issue, but with my right knee. Maybe we could do a swap?:eek: Seriously, I find a higher cadence does help, more repetition but less effort.
Also, even with the pedelec, that is a bold commute, I have to say! Well done;)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
One of the usual answers to knee pain is saddle set too low.

As a starting point, your leg should be fully extended with your heel on the pedal.

Obviously, you don't pedal with your heel, but this set-up means your leg will be almost fully extended when pedalling normally with the ball of your foot.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
RobF is right about saddle height - If mine's even 5 or 6 mm out either way I can quickly tell.

Also canting the saddle nose-up a couple of degrees can help.

Kamakiriad

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2013
Thanks for saying hello and for these suggestions, guys. I will certainly try adjusting the saddle.