Hello from West Norfolk

Mr.Linnet

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2023
Just a quick "Hello" from me in West Norfolk.

I have recently fitted an electric motor conversion kit to an old bike. I had never really been interested in converting a bike previously mainly due to my limited knowledge of electrics. The kit came with an extended rear axle to accomodate an additional free wheel cog. This really frustrated me due to space and the poor quality of metal of the extended axle meant the thread stripped quite easily.

I started again with another bike I had acquired. This time, as the bike already had a three gear back wheel, I elected to place the rear single speed wheel from another old bike I had into the front and fit the conversion kit onto this wheel instead. Got everything wired up together with an old plastic tool box to house the 2 good 12v 10amp hour batteries I already had.

I was pleasantly surprised how well it went although I have not yet tried to see how long the batteries will last or how far I can travel.

I have been given an old Powabyke to play with as my next project, no doubt this will provide me with a different challenge as its all there, but the front electric hub wheel does not spin or turn (with handle bars lifted off the ground, therefore no resistance) even after charging the batteries. Will probably need some advice in the near future from the good folks on here ;-)

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The old Powabykes had brushed motors. You can test them by connecting a 12v battery directly to the two motor wires. If it diesn't go, you have to check the brushes.

The throttle works correctly with the Powabyke controller, but if you fit a different controller, you need to get a new throttle or take it apart and flip the polarity of the magnets to stop it working backwards.