Help! Hello! I’ve done it again

Sunk Cost Fallacy

Just Joined
Nov 26, 2022
Hi all, after visiting this forum for lots of research on previous projects it’s time to finally say hello and ask for help.

I have some experience cobbling together bikes and after sinking enough money into a few projects where I could probably have bought something new, I sold off all the parts and vowed never again.
So, a couple of years after clearing the garage out, I just bought a fat bike for cheap and spent today replacing a lot of the previous owners handiwork. I then had a look on eBay and picked this up thinking there would be some further details etched on the casing but there’s nothing!
I can work out it’s a 48v motor and it has a round 9 pin connector but can anyone here identify it, would like to know the wattage (and make if anyone can) so I can buy a controller to suit.

anyways, I’m off to delete the eBay app from my phone before this bike becomes another money pit!

thanks in advance

Andy

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No idea of manufacturer/brand.
As it's 48v I doubt it will need much more then 17a controller so don't get all worked up about wattage. Simply buy a controller and lcd as a matching pair and opt for a 48v controller of 15a - 20a, 15a at 48v is 720w . The motor is small so could be 250, 350 or a max of 500w.
The 170 could be reference to motor rpm ?

Sunk Cost Fallacy

Just Joined
Nov 26, 2022
Thanks Neal
All really useful, it’s like trying to decipher some code looking at the numbers on the wheel. I did some more searching last night and I think the 170 bit is the dropout width but not 100% sure.
Will follow your advice and get a controller on order. Thanks again

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
170 yes, I over looked the fat bike bit.

The other numbers are likely manufacture date and serial number so could be 2021 May .