Hello newbie alert

maxb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 4, 2016
England
Hi AlI I have just joined the forum I don't have myself a Pedelec yet but I am hoping with a bit help from the mighty collective knowledge I will be steered the correct direction for my planned conversion of my trusty Trek T900 tandem. I have called round a few vendors of conversion kits and non seemed that keen so I think the best course of action will be A Taylor made DIY conversion.

Cheers Max

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: maxb

maxb

Aug 4, 2016
England
I was looking at that, it looks real nice but looking at the sizing I think it would to big for my wife who is 4ft 11" my current tandem has a 14.5 inch rear frame which is just right for her this is why I think a DIY conversion is the only real option, I am more than happy to be wrong as I would quite like a purpose built e-tandem.

Max

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello maxb, Fit a BBS01 kit to the front crank to be in control there is no reason to fit it to the rear. However the bbs does in most cases need some reprogramming to get the best out of them as the factory settings can be very conservatively set in my case power was only set to 1/5th of its capability. Also which part of Engalnd.
BBS takes about 30mins to fit however to tidy things up a bit a few more hrs for the wiring etc.
With a bbs you can only have one chain wheel so you need to choose the right one for your needs.

maxb

Aug 4, 2016
England
Hello maxb, Fit a BBS01 kit to the front crank to be in control there is no reason to fit it to the rear. However the bbs does in most cases need some reprogramming to get the best out of them as the factory settings can be very conservatively set in my case power was only set to 1/5th of its capability. Also which part of Engalnd.
Hi,
I'm in Hastings.

I do quite like the idea of a BBS01 but I thought I could not fit one on the front as my chain that drives the rear is on the left side.??

Max

http://trek.scene7.com/is/image/TrekBicycleProducts/1244000_2016_A_1_T_900?wid=3000&hei=2454&fmt=jpg&qlt=50,1&op_usm=0,0,0,0&iccEmbed=0&cache=on,on&bgc=247,247,247

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Can the rear drive not be retrofiited so all is on the rhs ?
Not far from Brighton, Brightonebikes might be avble to help you with a conversion for bbs.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A Bafang BPM motor with a 17 Amp controller would be a good fit for that.

Who changes the gears? ;) You can mount a Bafang BBS. Your chain goes from the front to the rear chainwheel. You decide your ratio I would suggest 48 tooth chainwheel on the bafang to 48 chainwheel on the back and the drive chain from the 38 to the cassette and you don't change gears on the chainwheel any more, just the 8 speeds on the cassette.

The assistance levels of the motor replace the front three speeds.

maxb

Aug 4, 2016
England
Can the rear drive not be retrofiited so all is on the rhs ?
Not far from Brighton, Brightonebikes might be avble to help you with a conversion for bbs.
Hi Nealh
I think it's possible to change the drive side but I think it would mean a group set change which is a fairly costly, it would be worth considering if the mid drive would work out better than A hub motor.

Max

maxb

Aug 4, 2016
England
A Bafang BPM motor with a 17 Amp controller would be a good fit for that.

Who changes the gears? ;) You can mount a Bafang BBS. Your chain goes from the front to the rear chainwheel. You decide your ratio I would suggest 48 tooth chainwheel on the bafang to 48 chainwheel on the back and the drive chain from the 38 to the cassette and you don't change gears on the chainwheel any more, just the 8 speeds on the cassette.

The assistance levels of the motor replace the front three speeds.

maxb

Aug 4, 2016
England
Hi
The Captain ( person on the front) has all the controls.
So the Bafang BBS can drive from the left ?
How would the bike ride when not under power? I do like to pedal ( wife not so much ;)) I would plan to only plan to use the motor for long hills and strong head windows.
Max