Hello!

mykidsdad

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 18, 2021
I've had bikes ever since I was 8 and living in Wiltshire. Got 2 ebikes at home, my wife's GTech and my Radwagon longtail cargo bike, plus a road bike and a mountain bike. The Radwagon is my in-town car replacement, used for everything I don't need a car for, great when I was building my kitchen for trips to Wickes! Happy to lug cement, plaster, paint and pipe fittings, and the weekly shop as it happily takes 4 big carrier bags.
The GTech was our first ebike and my wife takes it to work 3days/week.
Found this site when I had a battery query, lots of useful info here, and so I thought I should say hello!

Reactions: sjpt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello.
Good to here some one else using the bike for all manner of cargo duties.

Reactions: mykidsdad

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Hello:)

mykidsdad

Dec 18, 2021
Hello.
Good to here some one else using the bike for all manner of cargo duties.
Yes, it takes a bit of a brain shift as you realise that even 3metre pipes can be cut into 2 and stacked vertically to get them home..

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Yes, it takes a bit of a brain shift as you realise that even 3metre pipes can be cut into 2 and stacked vertically to get them home..
Wait till you get a trailer! Sky's the limit then!

• Agree
Reactions: mykidsdad and Nealh

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Radwagon longtail cargo bike... Happy to lug cement, plaster, paint and pipe fittings, and the weekly shop as it happily takes 4 big carrier bags.
It's a fantastically versatile e-bike for sure. I'm curious though... it takes 160kg... how does it feel/cope hauling all that weight with just a EU standard 250w motor? In America, they use a 750w motor I think, which would seem to make more sense/be more able/useful/practical given the bikes intended hauling application.

I'm always a little worried overheating a 250w hub motor tackling any kind of hill carrying just 110/120kg on my own bike!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My trailer has a 90kg load rating, though I haven't quite had that load on it yet.
My usual bike for errands and two full bags of shopping or up to 30kg of loading is my Cotic Roadrat self build it also has a tow hitch, for larger carrying ability I also have the Kona Ute with a tow hitch. My trailer of choice is Carryfreedom with 1000 x600 flat bed It can easily have a large rigid box added for carrying a shopping load as well.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
It's a fantastically versatile e-bike for sure. I'm curious though... it takes 160kg... how does it feel/cope hauling all that weight with just a EU standard 250w motor? In America, they use a 750w motor I think, which would seem to make more sense/be more able/useful/practical given the bikes intended hauling application.

I'm always a little worried overheating a 250w hub motor tackling any kind of hill carrying just 110/120kg on my own bike!
I towed a roughly 35kg trailer 400 miles in October at 80 miles per day, together with panniers and a dry bag on the rack. Including my 65kg and the bike's 26, all up weight was about 150kg.

With a mid-drive and gear range to match the task, 250W coped. But I don't think a 250W hub motor would do very well.

mykidsdad

Dec 18, 2021
Wait till you get a trailer! Sky's the limit then!
Never say never - the joy of a trailer is that any bike can become a hauler.. my mate was saying his wife would like one so they can take the dog for a tow in the forest..!!

mykidsdad

Dec 18, 2021

That's a good point. It's definitely a budget bike. With any sort of weight on it, it does feel a little squirrelly at the front end, as the weight is behind the rider and tends to lift the front. I made some panniers to keep the weight down low, but really the best (and most expensive) cargo bike has to be the bakfiets style, but a bit too pricey for me at the moment. Sometimes you have to settle for good enough..
In terms of hauling I've not found the weight limit yet. 250w seems to be OK, but where I live in Southampton I don't tend to use it for the steep hills. Might try to lug some cement to Bitterne to see how it goes..!

mykidsdad

Dec 18, 2021
I towed a roughly 35kg trailer 400 miles in October at 80 miles per day, together with panniers and a dry bag on the rack. Including my 65kg and the bike's 26, all up weight was about 150kg.

With a mid-drive and gear range to match the task, 250W coped. But I don't think a 250W hub motor would do very well.
I tend to agree - it's a budget bike and may not be up to super heavy/long duration work. I think a mid motor is a great shout - but again - it's built to a budget. If I get the time/cash I would be keen to swap the hub motor for a Bafang mid drive...

mykidsdad

Dec 18, 2021
My trailer has a 90kg load rating, though I haven't quite had that load on it yet.
My usual bike for errands and two full bags of shopping or up to 30kg of loading is my Cotic Roadrat self build it also has a tow hitch, for larger carrying ability I also have the Kona Ute with a tow hitch. My trailer of choice is Carryfreedom with 1000 x600 flat bed It can easily have a large rigid box added for carrying a shopping load as well.
The original reason for getting a cargo bike was because the weekly shop was regularly 4 carrier bags. It just seemed potty to be taking a car to the shops for 4 carrier bags. So I looked around and settled on the RadWagon. Use it everywhere in town now - so handy.
That's a great selection of bikes and trailer you have available - nice one.