Helloo....

squib

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 16, 2019
Hi all new here so .......
I am a boatbuilder/joiner and general tinkerer living in the wilds and am wanting to gain some pre buying knowledge about tour/trecking bikes or the pros and cons of installing a kit to my current bike so thought that after much dipping in to this site I should jump on in.
We, my good lady and I, live very remotely across a common and would like to use our bikes periodically to ride into town which is around 8 miles away, downhill most of the way, the return journey is very, very steep for about a mile and then moderate.
Also we visit the Piemonte in northern Italy a lot and would like to take the bikes, the going is mountainous or at least some very steep foothills,
however neither of us our spring chickens and would like some electric assistance so we are leisure users as opposed to sport.
I have an old, 10 years, specialized hybrid bike that I could convert but need a second bike so if I may ask some questions...

1 Convert the hybrid and buy an off the shelf bike for her, will the missmatched bikes be easy to tour together?
2 Buy a pair of similar bikes so that they are more matched?
3 Build a pair of bikes? I am a practical guy.

And also a separate question about which system pedals easiest if the battery does run out?

I have booked a test at our local shop who only sell Forme bikes for the road but they don't seem to have the bigger 500 battery pack,( waiting for a large frame one to arrive)
I am looking in the vague direction of Cube or Haibike and hope to keep sub£2k.
Am I in the right direction?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
squib,
Welcome to Pedelecs Forums.
Try the Forme bikes, both rear hub drive and central crank drive versions, up that steep hill and see how they, and the two of you, perform.
It is best to get a bike with the 500Wh battery for greater range and dealing with the demands of steep hills.
Both Cube and Haibike are quality machines. Test ride some up a big hill.
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/1000-mile-review-2018-cube-kathmandu-hybrid-pro-500.34007/

Haibike Sduro Trekking review:
https://www.t3.com/reviews/haibike-sduro-trekking-review

First impressions of my Haibike Sduro FullSeven:
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/haibike-sduro-fullseven-3-0-initial-reaction-and-recommendations.34087/

Also have a look at bikes and kits from Woosh who have a good reputation on here:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Squib,
I have an Ezee conversion and the wife has a Woosh Big Bear. Both are front hubs but there is a speed mismatch (in any asisstance level combination) that has me disappearing round the next bend, then waiting. So, I'd say, whether converting or buying off the shelf, try to match the systems. Both are very good hill climbers, though some say don't use front hubs as they are twitchy. True, but nothing that isn't outweighed by the ease of conversion.

As you say you're practical, I'd say convert. You end up with bikes you know backwards and can repair/modify if needed. Buy bikes with Bosch drive systems and you are tied into their service and spares. Although the bike mechanicals are standard stuff, none of the electrical stuff is user servicable/repairable. Could be a real pain if you're far from the bike shop you bought it from.
Conversly, all kit parts can be bought on line, and there's always plenty of help to be had here.

I'd agree, have a look at Woosh kits. Also Yosepower and BMSBattery.

squib

Mar 16, 2019
Thanks FR and thanks Eagle,
I have read the reviews and now the t3 one.....
Any opinion on the easiest bike to pedal when the battery goes?

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks FR and thanks Eagle,
I have read the reviews and now the t3 one.....
Any opinion on the easiest bike to pedal when the battery goes?
squib,
Any bike with the Bosch Active Line Plus motor or a Haibike with a
Yamaha motor will have negligible resistance when the battery goes..

squib

Mar 16, 2019
Thanks Benjahmin, will peruse further.
Do the front and rear wheel kits have more or less rolling resistance than a mid drive?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Never had a mid drive so I don't know. However all geared hubs have a clutch so when you go overspeed or stop peddaling, the clutch disengages and the hub freewheels. There may be some initial tightness but this goes of after a few miles, by which time you don't care anyway 'cos you're just enjoying it so much !