Help! Help me choose between two Cube emtb models

anfos

Just Joined
May 1, 2021
Hi - I've been a road cyclist for 6 years and live in a hilly area. I am planning to switch to e-mtb since there are a lot of great trails around here and would benefit from the motor.
I've narrowed it down to two Cube models

1) Cube Reaction Hybrid Performance 400 - 2021
2) Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 500 - 2021

I'll try to describe what kind of rides I plan to do and hopefully you can help me out with which model to select.
Biggest ride is a ~70km total with ~1300m of elevation or 17km of climbing at 5% grade.

So first concern - is the 500Wh battery of the Pro model enough for such a ride? the whole ride is tarmac, then I plan to descend through the trails so an extra point would go to the Pro model for having the SR Suntour XCM34 fork which can be locked (which I guess would help with the battery range, not sure if the difference is big though?)

I am not planning to do any crazy trail descending, so I am guessing I won't need any upgrades if I select the pro model other than the tires and saddle.

If I select the Performance 400 model I will be able to add another 400 battery and get to the price point of the 500 model - but this one has no lockout fork, EX23 rims vs EX30 (no idea how both perform) and worse components overall.

Then there is the different motor 65nm vs 85nm which I don't know if I need.
Any pointers to help me decide would be appreciated!

Attachments

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
worse components
How do you work that one out?
From the questions you are asking, I doubt grade/ make of groupset will make a lot of difference!

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
One consideration on a crank drive is that with more power going through the drive train you will wear out components quicker.

A 9 speed system is much cheaper to maintain than a 12 speed system.

A lock out fork is in my opinion a bit of a gimmick on an electric bike in terms of extending battery life.

Probably the 500Wh battery would manage a 70km route, but there are many variables that can effect this.

Obviously if you go the two 400Wh battery route you have a lot more overall battery capacity (37%) but the inconvenience of carrying the spar and swapping it over.

For leisure riding on an electric bike the more range you have the better. You can also manage how you use your two batteries for any given ride by using each battery for half the ride. Not deeply depleting lithium batteries too regularly is better for them.

I have a 2015 Haibike Yamaha with a 400Wh battery that I use for commuting to work and back and I have only depleted it below 45% on a handful of occasions and it is still in really good shape in its seventh year of service with 13.308 miles completed.

When you first get an electric bike you naturally turn the power up, but to get the maximum range you will quickly learn to manage how much power you actually need to extend the range of your battery. You will become an expert on gradients. I ride with no assistance on my regular off road route where the gradient allows me too. My 2015 Yamaha motor was quoted to have about 60Nm of torque and this is plenty for me, and I am heavy and carry panniers.

I guess if it were a strict choice between these two bikes in the way you describe I would get the cheaper bike and the extra battery. A 12 speed system may sound nice but you really don't need it for the riding you are planning and a 9 speed is much cheaper to maintain.

The beauty of this type of question is that other equally knowledgeable people may have a very different perspective.

Reactions: Markxc40 and anfos

anfos

Just Joined
May 1, 2021
How do you work that one out?
From the questions you are asking, I doubt grade/ make of groupset will make a lot of difference!
Shimano M3100 vs SRAM SX Eagle

One consideration on a crank drive is that with more power going through the drive train you will wear out components quicker.

A 9 speed system is much cheaper to maintain than a 12 speed system.
The SRAM SX Eagle groupset costs 250€ new, so I guess it's not that bad to replace if I get a more reliable groupset (have no experience though).

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Firstly before you set your mind on which bike is best for you, I would check there are any available. Bike manufacturers will now be concentrating on their 2022 range.

Mate of mine just tried to get a specific 2021 Cube bike only to be told they wont make any more 2021 models, he is now having to wait until August before the 2022 models come out, or just buy what is left on the shelf.

The whole way the bike industry works has changed dramatically since the demand has gone through the roof, gone are the days of asking for a specific model and colour, and 6 weeks later you bike is delivered.

A quick Google search will tell you if you can get either if any of the bikes you are looking at.

A quick search for you first bike listed, comes up virtually no stock, just the odd unusual size left.

Before pinning your hopes on a specific model phone a couple of bike shops and see what they tell you the chance of getting one is.

Reactions: anfos

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
pretty much the same bar the bigger bat and has eagle 12spd group set so that's where the money is going.

i have the xx1 mech and shifter on my bike and not much difference from the cheaper gx one i had b4.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
The SRAM SX Eagle groupset costs 250€ new, so I guess it's not that bad to replace if I get a more reliable groupset (have no experience though).
I'd go with a Shimano groupset every time 7-8-9 is plenty!
You will never get the proper chainline with a 12 speed anyway, 4 or 5 of the cogs will be sitting there doing nothing. The motor should be doing the work, so the need for 12 speed is superfluous.

Just my opinion with experience! Others are available!

And will be freely given;)

Reactions: Markxc40 and anfos

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020

Tank

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 13, 2019
Like others have said each have pro and cons. I have a cube 500 sl bought in late 2018 and its a very capable bike whatever you want it to do. I have ridden 63 miles on one charge In mixed terrain. If you clean and maintain your drive train it will last a long time. I changed my rear 11speed cassette after 3500 miles at the cost of £65 so not expensive in my opinion. The new models have the uprated smaller motor and these have very little drag apparently. Whatever you decide just enjoy it. I also managed to buy a second battery online at a reasonable price.

Reactions: anfos

anfos

Just Joined
May 1, 2021
Like others have said each have pro and cons. I have a cube 500 sl bought in late 2018 and its a very capable bike whatever you want it to do. I have ridden 63 miles on one charge In mixed terrain. If you clean and maintain your drive train it will last a long time. I changed my rear 11speed cassette after 3500 miles at the cost of £65 so not expensive in my opinion. The new models have the uprated smaller motor and these have very little drag apparently. Whatever you decide just enjoy it. I also managed to buy a second battery online at a reasonable price.
Can the 500 power pack be used on the 400 models? Do they have the same dimensions? (the batteries)

Related Articles

Advertisers