Help me understand my new ebike

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Yeah I agree that a wider smooth tyre would provide more grip and be safer. Interesting to see they arent that much slower. So they are slower to get to the speed but they can hold on to the speed as well as thinner tyres? Comfort is secondary to speed for me.

Lots of those articles keep saying "at normal speeds". What about at 24mph, are the wider (1.75") smooth tyres just as fast as (~1")?
A wider smooth tyre is faster than a narrower one in terms of rolling resistance but yes, as you say they are slower to get to speed because of the higher rotational mass. This higher rotational mass would help them hold on to the speed better than narrower tyres too.

You mention that comfort is secondary to speed - the two are in a way linked, which is another reason wider tyres work better than narrow ones. The handlebar buzz on a road bike with narrow tyres, or the jolts out of the saddle, or even the oscillations of suspension components are energy taken out of your forward momentum. Wider tyres transmit less to the rest of the bike so the performance improvement of wider tyres is more significant on less than perfect surfaces. Of course this is all for the same type of tyre - knobblies have much higher rolling resistance than slicks to start off with.

At higher speeds wind resistance plays more of a part, but it seems the wider tyres don't make much of a difference. Quoting from the Off The Beaten Path article referred to above:
"We tested both 25 and 31 mm-wide tires in the wind tunnel. The result: The raw data showed a 1% increase in wind resistance for the wider tires, but the results weren’t statistically significant. Even if we accept them at face value, the added wind resistance is too small to make a noticeable difference. For example, at a very high speed of 40 km/h, decreasing your wind resistance by 1% only adds 0.4% (or 0.14 km/h) to your speed."

Michael

D

Deleted member 4366

25mm is what I call a narrow tyre. What size do you use?

Ferdinand

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2015
NG17
25mm is what I call a narrow tyre. What size do you use?
Tis a question of degree. 25mm is a wide tyre in the circs.

I weigh about 1.5 60kg tdf riders, and my bike weighs about 1.8 tdf bikes.

I posted my tyre details on the other thread - 37mm. I changed up frmom 28mm semi slicks, and I'm not convinced it is slower. Grip and poise are much better.

If put in a corner I'd say that:

- 26 inch wheels/tyres are say 1mph slower than equivalent 700cs. Compare a 29er with a 26er of the same family.

- Nobblies will be 2-3mph slower than road or touring tyres - provided that the latter have a slick-ish central area with little tread.

- Wide ones are as good as narrow ones because extra comfort, road contact etc cancels any deficit from the width/aerodynamics. Up to a point, and where the point is is unclear. In extremis 12 inch wide tyres will be slower.

- Tyre pressure has not been mentioned, and makes a big difference is *badly* off.

- Suspension will knock quite a bit off speed.

Ferdinand
* innocent face *

D

Deleted member 4366

Nobody has yet explained how Saneagle comes steaming past me on his Boardman Hybrid every time we get a downhill.

We have a very long downhill near us. It's about half a mile long down Ironbridge gorge. A Lycra on his road bike caught me unawares on the flat bit on the top. I had just about caught him up where the downhill started. Strained from his extra effort to get past me, he sat upright and started freewheeling. I thought if I could get close enough, I could slipstream him and get him on the next hill. I was pedalling as hard as I could and I just got in his slipstream at about 33 mph, but without pedalling and still sitting up, he started to pull away until I was out of his slipstream. I then gave up as he disappeared in the distance. Then to add insult to injury, a bus went past me at about 45 mph. As the Lycra was already doing about 40 mph, he did a few well timed pedal strokes and got in behind the bus. All I could do was wave goodbye.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
because Steve has same weight but a more aero-dynamically efficient shape than you?

D

Deleted member 4366

He's about 150% wider than me across his shoulders.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Could be all sorts of reasons I guess, but I'm going to start with these two. Does your bike have suspension whereas the roadie and Saneagle have rigid forks? Also the Boardman hybrid is quite far forward in riding position - is yours more upright?

Advertisers