Help Needed

KT1

Just Joined
Dec 8, 2015
Hi, I was hoping for some assistance from you knowledgeable folk with regard to purchasing an electric bike. It'll be my first ebike. I don't drive, so I want something that I can fold quickly and take on public transport with me, as well as using on the road for distances of around 12 miles. I would like it to have a throttle and PAS.

I've been looking into this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Style-Kwikfold-Xite-Cycling-folding-Padel-and-Electric-bike-bicycle-Battery-/281832312276?var=&hash=item419e83cdd4:m:mhFGWGQPmkAksjRFvz7Gdfg as an option. It seems heavy for such a compact bike (with a small battery), but it has the huge advantage of being able to wheel it while folded, rather than having to lug it around. Would I be able to replace the battery on this bike with something larger to give me a better range?

Another option I've been looking at is this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/BINGS-SHIMANO-ELECTRIC-JAPANESE-BRUSHLESS/dp/B00KLA25YI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1449575964&sr=8-3&keywords=Bings+bike Is this a conversion? The bike has a large battery but there's no pictures of it folded, and the specs seem almost too good to be true for the price.

I've also been looking into converting a lightweight bicycle myself, but I'm having trouble finding kits for bikes with smaller wheels (preferably 16”). Does anyone know of anywhere that sells these? (the bike I've been looking at to convert is this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIGFISH-FOLDING-BIKE-RRP-650-ONLY-100-/321917380111?var=&hash=item4af3c5660f:m:mMyU8wRs67TPHaxPjtndmrQ, and to add a suspension seat post for comfort. Either that or go with a Dahon).

Sorry if these are silly questions. I'm a total noob to electric bikes.

Thank you in advance. :)

Reactions: Perseus

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
If you have budget go for Brompton ebike conversion
Check nano Brompton on Google

homemoz

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2007
UK
Hi,
You might what to have a look at these people - C H White and Son at http://foldingbike.biz. They don't get much mention on this forum but I have bought two electric folding bikes from them over the years 20" Dahon & 16" Dahon conversions & have been very satisfied with both. My dealings have been with Tim who has offered advice & modified the most recent Dahon Curve 16" (October 2015) to our particular specification. They have been described as a "proper" bike shop so know what they are talking about especially in regard to folders.

Reactions: Kudoscycles

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Hi, I was hoping for some assistance from you knowledgeable folk with regard to purchasing an electric bike. It'll be my first ebike. I don't drive, so I want something that I can fold quickly and take on public transport with me, as well as using on the road for distances of around 12 miles. I would like it to have a throttle and PAS.

:)
If you are well heeled. https://www.flickr.com/photos/shoreham/22659875347/

The one I saw was operated by throttle and this was the only way I knew it was an ebike. Even without folding, it coud be lifted over gates easier than my ordinary bike.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I looked at the first bike....it weighs 20 kgs,with 12" wheels.
I think it depends on whether your trip involves much hauling up stairs,onto a train or bus. I experimented with our folder taking it up to London,weighing only 18 kilos it was a nightmare up stairs and hauling it on trains,in the rush hour I kept hitting people.
12 miles on 12" wheels....that depends on the nature of the terrain,will your riding be on nice flat roads?
I am a big guy,these small folders feel toylike under me but smaller people find them ok.
This is one bike that you really do need to test ride over the route you intend....it will be a Marmite bike.
The second bike is a more conventional fold,these bikes are best carried unfolded,when you fold them the wheels do not neatly join together and the bike is awkward and unbalanced to carry.....we tried putting them in a bag with small external wheels but it was a real fight to get in the bag,not an easy task waiting for a train or bus.
As yet I haven't found an electric bike that can match the Brompton for fold and weight,I have looked very hard at shows but all seem to have downsides and all the downsides are different.....you can make them work but you compromise a lot to gain the electric power.
KudosDave

Last edited:
Reactions: Quarryjmiller

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
If you are well heeled. https://www.flickr.com/photos/shoreham/22659875347/

The one I saw was operated by throttle and this was the only way I knew it was an ebike. Even without folding, it coud be lifted over gates easier than my ordinary bike.
Perseus....have you seen the video how the Gocycle folds?
It is a bike that most seem to operate using the throttle,at Redbridge it was very fast under power....wonder what will happen post January 2016?
KudosDave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Sound wave..the Gi bike has been featured on this forum before,in 2014,I really like the clever fold,lightish at 17kgs
But it's a Kickstarter project,starting price 2500 dollars up to 3500 dollars,that is a lot of money to find enough buyers to get it started.
I see lots of these Kickstarter proposals at shows but they never seem to make it beyond the prototype stage.
KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh Gallego:

htttp://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gallego

C

Cyclezee

Hi KT1,

Welcome to the forum.

The one above is pretty much unique, an easy folding 'off the shelf' electric bike with 16" wheels for less than the cost of non powered Brompton so could fit the bill for your requirements.
If possible it is always best to try before you buy.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
KT1, if you can wait, the Gallego will be on the gadget show soon. We sent a Gallego to Channel 5 this afternoon for next week filming.

Tony

KT1

Just Joined
Dec 8, 2015
Thanks so much, everyone, for all the very helpful replies and information. I had previously looked at ALL these options, but thought for ease the first bike I posted could work best for me with it's quick fold (as it's so named) and small frame. I'm now rethinking things completely. I would LOVE to own an electric Brompton, patpatbut, but, sadly, they're WAY out of my (current) budget.

C H White and Son is a very interesting site, homemoz, and I've now had time to peruse it. I particularly like the look of the converted Dahon Curve with it's big tires, mid drive motor and plenty of space for bags etc. Again, though, at the moment, the price is a little too high for me. I would need to wait until after Christmas to make such a purchase and I'm not sure how the throttle would work when the laws have changed in January 2016. I believe I need to purchase a bike before then if I want to have the throttle function. Is this correct? I really like C H White and Son's site though--it's not one I had found through internet searches.

The Gocycle is gorgeous, Perseus, but I don't have over £2,000 to fork out for a bike. :(

KudosDave, that is very useful information - thank you! My situation is this:

I will be living in an area of the countryside which is fairly cut off in terms of transport. Buses stop at 6pm and, as I can't drive, I want to have a way to get to the nearest town in the evenings during Spring/Summer. It would be by road, all of which are relatively flat and there aren't many hills to tackle along the way. The round trip is 9 miles(ish) in total. During the day when the buses are running, I would like to have the option to take my bike to other places and take in the scenery during a ride. These rides are likely to be twelve miles max. The buses do get busy during the holiday season but it wouldn't be like having to fight my way onto a tube or a bus in London during rush hour (I used to live there so I know just how busy and impossible it would be) with a bulky folder.

The Gi bike, Soundwave, is, again, a very interesting concept, but it looks expensive.

John and Tony - I looked at the Woosh Gallego as a possibility and dismissed it at first due to the small battery (7.5ah?) but I've done a bit a a u-turn over it. It folds to the sort of size I'd need and it's light compared to other bikes I've looked at. I really like the way it folds and does so quickly and easily. If I were to opt for this bike, I believe I could buy a second battery for it in the future for longer trips? I'll look out for the feature on Channel 5 - thanks for that info, Tony.

Again, thanks for all the information and options everyone. I was going around in circles before looking for something to fit my requirements, but I think I'm getting somewhere at last!

Katie

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I tried to remain impartial and not suggest my own product....but my Kudos Secret is one of the lightest around at 18 kilos,I ride this bike myself....there are reports of me riding it up mountains in Greece on this forum.
I reliably get 20 miles out of the 8 Ah battery despite my weight and hilly terrain. It has 20" wheels which are the minimum I would ride in general road/track conditions.
It has a full speed throttle,which whilst current stocks last will be retained.
It must be one of the top selling folders in the UK,we have sold over 1000 units and gradually developed it over the years. Most riders find it a very nice ride.
Priced £735.00 incl vat and delivery,there is one on special offer,an ex demo bike at £566.00,look elsewhere on this forum.
KudosDave

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Thanks so much, everyone, for all the very helpful replies and information. I had previously looked at ALL these options, but thought for ease the first bike I posted could work best for me with it's quick fold (as it's so named) and small frame. I'm now rethinking things completely. I would LOVE to own an electric Brompton, patpatbut, but, sadly, they're WAY out of my (current) budget.

C H White and Son is a very interesting site, homemoz, and I've now had time to peruse it. I particularly like the look of the converted Dahon Curve with it's big tires, mid drive motor and plenty of space for bags etc. Again, though, at the moment, the price is a little too high for me. I would need to wait until after Christmas to make such a purchase and I'm not sure how the throttle would work when the laws have changed in January 2016. I believe I need to purchase a bike before then if I want to have the throttle function. Is this correct? I really like C H White and Son's site though--it's not one I had found through internet searches.

The Gocycle is gorgeous, Perseus, but I don't have over £2,000 to fork out for a bike. :(

KudosDave, that is very useful information - thank you! My situation is this:

I will be living in an area of the countryside which is fairly cut off in terms of transport. Buses stop at 6pm and, as I can't drive, I want to have a way to get to the nearest town in the evenings during Spring/Summer. It would be by road, all of which are relatively flat and there aren't many hills to tackle along the way. The round trip is 9 miles(ish) in total. During the day when the buses are running, I would like to have the option to take my bike to other places and take in the scenery during a ride. These rides are likely to be twelve miles max. The buses do get busy during the holiday season but it wouldn't be like having to fight my way onto a tube or a bus in London during rush hour (I used to live there so I know just how busy and impossible it would be) with a bulky folder.

The Gi bike, Soundwave, is, again, a very interesting concept, but it looks expensive.

John and Tony - I looked at the Woosh Gallego as a possibility and dismissed it at first due to the small battery (7.5ah?) but I've done a bit a a u-turn over it. It folds to the sort of size I'd need and it's light compared to other bikes I've looked at. I really like the way it folds and does so quickly and easily. If I were to opt for this bike, I believe I could buy a second battery for it in the future for longer trips? I'll look out for the feature on Channel 5 - thanks for that info, Tony.

Again, thanks for all the information and options everyone. I was going around in circles before looking for something to fit my requirements, but I think I'm getting somewhere at last!

Katie
Taking a bike in bus could be quite a hassle for most of the foldable bike. I only find brompton is the most easiest bike to get in. Maybe Gallego too due to the small size

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Gallego is very easy to lift up.
It's the only e-bike that I can lift up above the roof of a car.

KT1

Just Joined
Dec 8, 2015
I'm really interested in the Gallego. I like that it can be wheeled folded. This gives it a huge advantage over the other bikes I've looked at in terms of maneuverability. I looked at the Kudos Secret, Dave, but I'm not sure the fold is as simple and compact as I'd like.

Is it possible to customise the Gallego for comfort.. i.e. Add balloon tires and a suspension seatpost? Can a larger battery be added to give me more mileage should I ever need it in the future?

Forgive me if these are ridiculous questions, I feel the need again to reiterate that I'm a complete a novice when it comes to biking let alone ebiking. :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
KT, woosh can fit Schwalbe balloon tyres for you if you don't want to do this yourself. Ask Andy @ woosh

KT1

Just Joined
Dec 8, 2015
Just a quick update..

I went ahead and purchased the Woosh Gallego a few days ago, and, so far, I can say it’s the best thing I’ve ever bought! I’ve never rode an ebike before, so I don’t have anything to compare it to, but I. Love. This. Bike.

I know that buying a bike you’ve not tested over the internet can be dodgy, but the bike suits me perfectly. I have a non-electric bike, which I’ve always found just too big, and the local dealer never should have sold it to me. The Gallego frame size suits my 5‘4“ down to the ground. The bike manages the small slopes and hills around where I live with minimal peddling effort on my part. I find I don’t even use the throttle much on this beautiful machine. It may be small wheeled but it rides like a full sized bike. I find the riding position extremely comfortable. The battery is just 7.5ah, but it suits the purpose for which the bike was bought. I can’t wait to try it on a longer ride - it’ll be interesting to see how long the battery can last and how it is in terms of comfort. The bike is nice to ride even without electric assistance though.

It IS heavy.. but then all ebikes are, and this is light in comparison to others I’ve looked at. It’s a manageable weight for lifting onto trains or the bus, but I wouldn’t like to have to carry it up a flight of stairs.

Thank you, guys, for your assistance in choosing an ebike.

Katie x