Help please.

sil4ps

Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2013
london north
Hi D8veh,
For me, the best balance of all these things comes from a 500w 270rpm 36v geared rear hub-motor with 20aH 36v battery and a 25 -30 amp (depending on weight) controller. You will be able to pedal comfortably on the flat at about 22mph, manage serious hills without much effort, and reach a distance of 50 to 70 miles. That's my personal preference. I've tried lots of motors with different speeds and powers. I have double and triple motored bikes. I like them all, but you can't beat the simplicity and robustness of a simple rear hub-motor.

So on your advice D8veh i'm going for the cst500W rear 270 rpm keeping my 9 speed cassette

with the following

S12S 500Watts Torque Simulation Sine Wave Controller for 36Volts
36V15Ah Li-Ion NiCoMn aluminium alloy sheel electric bicycle battery pack + rack (15 miles each way with a few big hills but pedalling)
Brake Grip for electric bicycle
Half Twist Throttle with LED Voltage Level Display

Do i need Torque arms?
Do i need Hall sensors?

Re waterproofing, they say you can use it in the rain but dont suggest i do,
so what is it, waterproof or not! UK is not dry!

is this all i need or have i missed anything. I've emailed bms for other info but i get one line answers that don't make sense or no reply at all.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I'm sure the CST comes from BMS as a motor only and needs building into a wheel so make sure you have allowed for that.

I'd never contradict d8veh but are you confident to assemble these things yourself?

BMS are good and reliable but you'll get zero customer support. Plus you'll pay another 25% on top of what you thought for customs and handling charges.

If you are unsure you'd be better sourcing a UK supplied kit and enjoying really good after sales service.

sil4ps

Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2013
london north
I'm sure the CST comes from BMS as a motor only and needs building into a wheel so make sure you have allowed for that.

I'd never contradict d8veh but are you confident to assemble these things yourself?

BMS are good and reliable but you'll get zero customer support. Plus you'll pay another 25% on top of what you thought for customs and handling charges.

If you are unsure you'd be better sourcing a UK supplied kit and enjoying really good after sales service.
Hi thanks for the info,

the wheel is complete and yes i'm confident i can assemble it as long as i have the right bits.

I reckoned on 10% for customs as thats what other members have advised previously, 25% would definitly put me off as that is very steep are you sure thats right???

many thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

Assuming that you have cable brakes, get the in-line brake sensors rather than the levers:
HWBS - Hidden Wire Brake Sensor 1pcs - BMSBATTERY

Torque arms are advisable.

You need to order the LCD and wheel speed sensors because they don't come with the controller.

You also need to order a pedal sensor.

It would also be a good idea to get a thumb throttle as well just in case the half-throttle doesn't fit.. It's always useful as a spare and only costs about £2. If ever you have to buy another one later, it'll cost about £10 to £15.

The battery is just about on the limit for current. Personally, I'd go for the 20aH shrinktube one and install it like the photo below unless I was going to frequently park the bike in a public place for long periods. I cable tie the zip to make it tamper-proof for short stays at the supermarket or pub.
36V 20Ah Li-Ion Shrink Tube EBike Battery Pack - BMSBATTERY

Waterproofness depends on your installation. The motor is waterproof, but the throttle on any bike is not 100%. If left out in fierce rain, water could find its way in. LCDs on any bike are also not always as waterproof as they should be. If I was going to park my bike in the rain, I'd cover the battery, throttle and LCD. Riding in a shower isn't a problem.

If you do install your battery like this, it's totally waterproof. The bag costs about a fiver, and the rack about a tenner. The charge socket is underneath, so it never has to be unzipped.

Last edited by a moderator:

sil4ps

Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2013
london north
Assuming that you have cable brakes, get the in-line brake sensors rather than the levers:
HWBS - Hidden Wire Brake Sensor 1pcs - BMSBATTERY

Torque arms are advisable.

You need to order the LCD and wheel speed sensors because they don't come with the controller.

You also need to order a pedal sensor.

It would also be a good idea to get a thumb throttle as well just in case the half-throttle doesn't fit.. It's always useful as a spare and only costs about £2. If ever you have to buy another one later, it'll cost about £10 to £15.

The battery is just about on the limit for current. Personally, I'd go for the 20aH shrinktube one and install it like the photo below unless I was going to frequently park the bike in a public place for long periods. I cable tie the zip to make it tamper-proof for short stays at the supermarket or pub.
36V 20Ah Li-Ion Shrink Tube EBike Battery Pack - BMSBATTERY

Waterproofness depends on your installation. The motor is waterproof, but the throttle on any bike is not 100%. If left out in fierce rain, water could find its way in. LCDs on any bike are also not always as waterproof as they should be. If I was going to park my bike in the rain, I'd cover the battery, throttle and LCD. Riding in a shower isn't a problem.

If you do install your battery like this, it's totally waterproof. The bag costs about a fiver, and the rack about a tenner. The charge socket is underneath, so it never has to be unzipped.
D8veh
Thanks, great advice,
will get torque arms and inline brake sensors.

presumably i only need the lcd and speed sensor if i want a speedo otherwise the led throttle would suffice or is the lcd very good?

Also most of what i have read recommends to leave off the pedal sensor, do i need it???.

the extra thumb throttle is sound advice.

Lastly I have been reckoning import duties run about 10%, I have just been advised by averhamdave that its 25% which makes it much less of a deal.

thanks

sil4ps

Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2013
london north

of course you are right, 25% for duty and Vat.

thanks for all your info. perhaps a uk kit might be a better bet, many thanks.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
of course you are right, 25% for duty and Vat.

thanks for all your info. perhaps a uk kit might be a better bet, many thanks.
I bought a CST kit and that same battery d8veh linked plus a heap of extra bits from BMS Battery. Without going into details, the declaration made by the supplier at their own instigation without reference to me set the duty and VAT rate, which came in at £0 duty and £32 VAT.

It's not like ordering from USA or Canada where everything comes in with astronomic clearance charges. :)

D

Deleted member 4366

I normally have to pay about £15 to £30 for such a kit. It'll probably have $100 wheelchair parts on the documents. A similar UK kit will cost twice as much.

People that say you don't need a pedal sensor have never used one (or at least one with level control). Take my advice and get the LCD. It'll make travelling so much more comfortable. The LCD also gives the advantage that you can switch your battery off.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi thanks for the info,

the wheel is complete and yes i'm confident i can assemble it as long as i have the right bits.

I reckoned on 10% for customs as thats what other members have advised previously, 25% would definitly put me off as that is very steep are you sure thats right???

many thanks
Its actually 26%,6% duty and 20% vat. Be careful that you advise your shipper to put on the invoice the correct tarif code....if its just listed as bicycle part,HMRC can put on 48% anti-dumping duty,so that can be 74% total.
KudosDave

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I've just paid total of £51 (vat and admin) on a £200 order from BMS

C

Cyclezee

Hi D8veh,
For me, the best balance of all these things comes from a 500w 270rpm 36v geared rear hub-motor with 20aH 36v battery and a 25 -30 amp (depending on weight) controller. You will be able to pedal comfortably on the flat at about 22mph, manage serious hills without much effort, and reach a distance of 50 to 70 miles. That's my personal preference. I've tried lots of motors with different speeds and powers. I have double and triple motored bikes. I like them all, but you can't beat the simplicity and robustness of a simple rear hub-motor.

So on your advice D8veh i'm going for the cst500W rear 270 rpm keeping my 9 speed cassette

with the following

S12S 500Watts Torque Simulation Sine Wave Controller for 36Volts
36V15Ah Li-Ion NiCoMn aluminium alloy sheel electric bicycle battery pack + rack (15 miles each way with a few big hills but pedalling)
Brake Grip for electric bicycle
Half Twist Throttle with LED Voltage Level Display

Do i need Torque arms?
Do i need Hall sensors?

Re waterproofing, they say you can use it in the rain but dont suggest i do,
so what is it, waterproof or not! UK is not dry!

is this all i need or have i missed anything. I've emailed bms for other info but i get one line answers that don't make sense or no reply at all.

Any help or advice much appreciated.
Check out our popular torque plates Torque Arm/ Plate Sets for Electric Bikes | eBay

If you had bought an eZee kit, they would have been free;)

C

Cyclezee

I've just paid total of £51 (vat and admin) on a £200 order from BMS
HMRC have tightened up considerably on small imports from China so you need to factor this into your costs.

I have never got anything from China free of import duty and VAT.

If you can, avoid using FedEx, they are the worst when it comes to additional charges and it is virtually impossible to communicate with them if you want an explanation or to dispute something.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
That's worrying. I've got an order in progress. I'll report when I get the bill.
I also buy a lot of stuff from China for my regular business and am reasonably familiar with the charges.

I agree that FedEx are the most diligent and difficult to deal with.

Problem with this order was that I didn't ask him to put a fictitious low price on the dummy invoice. He put down the price I paid and it was upon that I was charged. I have no grounds for complaint - I can grumble but can't complain

The bottom line is that if your seller is prepared to mislead Uk customs by declaring a low value you'll get away with much/most or all of the vat. If you get away without paying the vat you'll also avoid the admin charge. This is how it works as everyone on here who deals with China knows!