Help! Salisbury LPX Battery not taking charge.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
I've just had delivery of a new charger from powacycle, yet the problem still persist.

I initially thought the charger was at fault, as the light on the old charger remained
on Green even when the battery is clearly low on power. Now, unless the new charger
is faulty, i have to consider the likelihood of a faulty battery. ;-(

Does anyone know of a quick cure, as i really don't want to throw £200 at a replacement
battery. Battery bought with bike around september 07.

Thanks, anyone?

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
The charger indicator will show green if you switch on the plug at the wall after connecting everything, even if there is only a small amount of battery remaining.

I had the same problem when i picked up my bike but I was told to plug chager into the wall and switch it on...THEN connect the charger to the battery.

Try this and see if the green light turns red. If it does, then your charger is fine and just has an odd way of connecting the battery and charger.

Let me know how you get on.

UrbanPuma

sparky5

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 5, 2008
Non charging battery

I've just had delivery of a new charger from powacycle, yet the problem still persist.

I initially thought the charger was at fault, as the light on the old charger remained
on Green even when the battery is clearly low on power. Now, unless the new charger
is faulty, i have to consider the likelihood of a faulty battery. ;-(

Does anyone know of a quick cure, as i really don't want to throw £200 at a replacement
battery. Battery bought with bike around september 07.

Thanks, anyone?
Hi Ajax
I dont know if this is going to help but the battery pack used with the LAFree has two fuses, a 20 amp for the main output and a 5 amp fuse in series with the charger circuit they are both INSIDE the battery case !
maybe yours has the same ?
If it does, to check it you will have to open the battery case and find it .
There is also usualy a thermal link also in series with the charging circuit (sometimes two, a la Giant Suade) this is buried in the middle of the cell pack to disconnect the charger in the event of excessive temperature, once "blown" they have to be replaced.
They are Avaliable from RS ETC, you will need to find the temperature rating of them it's stamped on the side Magnifying glass required!.

Sorry Just realised this is a lithium battery probably not the same as a NiMh, Sorry to raise your hopes.

Cheers, Mark.

Last edited:

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Thanks for your tip about the possibly blown fuse. If push comes to shove
i might have to delve into the inner workings. Any thoughts on how to
open up this beasty? I can see four screws. Would it be any more complex
than that?

Anybody out there with a practical knowledge of the Salisbury LPX battery?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's probably the same case as the NiMh one, and I've stripped some of those Powacycle ones. Just the four screws as you've seen, and if it has the sticky label meter at the top, you may have to peel half that up to separate the two sides.

Lithium batteries frequently have an internal fuse as well, so Sparky5's advice is often relevant.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Flecc, what can i say. I can't thank your good self or the estemed Spary enough for placing me on the right trail...

I eventually prised the case apart, just took a bit of elbow grease, and yep inside I found a couple of 'blade fuses'. The orange one [5amp you said] to the charger input, had blown. Its too late to sort this but Maplin does a fine line in fuses, so i'll pick a few spares in the moring, just hope i get the right ones.

In the mean time i've manage to get the charger going by using the trusty 'stop gap' of soldering wire. Of course being Li-pol tech, I'll have to watch it like a hawk for the next 2 hours.

Once again thank you guys.

[At least i've now got a spare charger, anybody need a nearly new charger ;-)]

sparky5

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 5, 2008
Battery not charging

Hi Ajax
I would be very suspicious of your first charger as it took out the fuses !!
if you have access to an amp meter it might pay to check the charge current
It may be that the first charger was indeed faulty and that is the reason the blade fuses blew.
I strongly believe that a good charger is essential if you are going to get long life and good reliability from your battery pack.
As the source of all the power you use from the battery comes from the charger initialy, and the battery is just (!!!) a convenient and portable package to keep it in until you use it, its no good having an expensive battery if the charger is not up to the job of looking after the battery and is going to knacker it in no time!:D

Cheers, Mark.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Just found your reply, and i agree entirely...

A spare charger is second only to a spare battery. and given the
price involved, possibly a better purchase. Transformers based
items are notorious for going wrong when you least expect it.

All said and done, i am happy with my spare charger. ;)

Advertisers