Help Save This Paddle Steamer!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
David Henshaw of A to B magazine has mailed an appeal to save a threatened paddle steamer by adding your name to a petition. I shouldn't love these classics since one of them was the only one of numerous boats ever to make me seasick. My fault though, for predictably spending the whole trip as a ten year old in the engine room, the smell of oil and a heavy swell proving too much.

Here's the details, if you love steam transport icons please add your name to support the petition:

Paddle Steamer "Ryde"

A last chance to save this historic paddle steamer.

Built in 1937, she is now laid up awaiting demolition. The Paddle Steamer Ryde Trust had put in a bid for the remains, but the administrators have unexpectedly accepted a bid (presumably higher) from a scrap merchant, even though independent examination has verified that Ryde is seaworthy and could be restored to full working order.

The Trust has launched a last ditch petition to the government for the vessel to be saved: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/PSRyde/

Please spend a few moments adding your name to the 2000+ signatories, and pass this email onto anyone who might be sympathetic. The Trust has only a matter of days!

Best Wishes

David

Ryde.jpg

Last edited:

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
I've added my name to the petition.
I've never been on the Ryde but I once went on the Waverley.
It was my Dad's idea to go and he sprung it on me.
It was the first time I had ever gone out to sea at night on a boat. Could hardly feel any sway at all.
I can still remember the coloured shore lights in the darkness, big-band music playing, sipping a beer and trying to figure out where the hell we were :D
The trip left me with some priceless memories (wow - that was over thirty years ago).
These classic ladies are definitely worth saving.

Waverley Excursions - Home

Last edited:

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
I shouldn't love these classics since one of them was the only one of numerous boats ever to make me seasick. My fault though, for predictably spending the whole trip as a ten year old in the engine room, the smell of oil and a heavy swell proving too much.
Signed. I sailed on this old lady several times in the fifties and sixties. So much nicer and more civilised than the current catamarans that are currently on the Portsmouth - Ryde route.

I was visiting the Needles last year and was fortunate to have a wonderful view of the Waverley sailing past the lighthouse.

I felt quite sick on a paddle steamer once. It was the Press Launch of the river trips of the PS Queen of the South on the Thames in the mid sixties. Unfortunately they encountered the first of many problems and couldn't even start the engines. The result was we spent the day moored in the Pool of London with a free bar. No smell of oil, but I will never forget the smell of the large brandy I was drinking whilst sitting on the paddle casing (I had to sit due to the way the ship was rolling from side to side and pitching up and down in the calm of the Pool :D ) in mid-afternoon. I felt really queasy and just chucked it into the river - glass and all. Things would have been a lot better if they hadn't run out of champagne, whisky and vodka which I had been drinking - I was never that fond of brandy. Shortly afterwards they towed us back to Tower Pier and those of us that could disembarked, leaving several "casualties" propped up against the railings on deck, or slumped in chairs in the bar.

Colin

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
ah... fond memories...

form duly signed, i have many memories of this wonderful craft spending most of my summer holidays with my Gran who owned a small B+B in Lake, ah... the summers went on forever in those days & no-one made milkshakes like the ones at Browns golf-course.

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
Happy to sigh - hopefully I will be taking a tour group on the Waverly in May, can't wait.

Advertisers