Help wanted - battery for KTM e-style p

GillB

Just Joined
Jan 3, 2021
Hello, I'm from Herefordshire UK and I've had an electric bike for 6 years but unfortunately it needs a new battery and the Panasonic 46.8v, 8.8Ah NKY462B2 is no longer available - so I've had it re-celled BUT the company that did it didn't realise that the BCM has to be kept powered up throughout the process :rolleyes: and the battery is now unable to power the bike for more than 100 metres. So I'm searching for advice from the community to find either someone who can repair it or find an acceptable alternative. Any suggestions welcome please! Gill

GillB

Just Joined
Jan 3, 2021
Thank you Wicky and I will try Fli tomorrow - and I'm afraid that it was the company you mentioned who couldn't get the battery repaired - to give them their due, they did try very hard though. Gill

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The old recelled battery is of no use as it is, the new cells though will be of value. They can be wired to any generic BMS to power most other generic China hub bike or a kit mid drive bike.

The battery can't be fitted with a new Bosch BMS.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Doh !!!

Even still as little chance of getting/finding one alive.

SteveKTM

Just Joined
Feb 1, 2021
Hello, I'm from Herefordshire UK and I've had an electric bike for 6 years but unfortunately it needs a new battery and the Panasonic 46.8v, 8.8Ah NKY462B2 is no longer available - so I've had it re-celled BUT the company that did it didn't realise that the BCM has to be kept powered up throughout the process :rolleyes: and the battery is now unable to power the bike for more than 100 metres. So I'm searching for advice from the community to find either someone who can repair it or find an acceptable alternative. Any suggestions welcome please! Gill
Hi Gill
I have a KTM eRace with a Panasonic NKY462B2 battery the same as yours i have had my bike for around 6 years also, about 6 months ago the battery just stopped working and would not hold a charge, i have spent hours trying to find a replacement or someone to re-cell but have not been successful so far, i did speak to the KTM distributor FLi who advertise replacement batteries at £900 !!, however when i spoke to them they didn't have any in stock and didn't know when/if they could get one, guy i spoke then suggested i speak to an electrician to look at what may be the problem ? !!. so i am still looking to try and find a replacement. I would be interested to know if you have managed to get you battery/bike running again or sourced a replacement battery
Rgds Steve

dgre48

Just Joined
May 26, 2021
Cumbria
Hi All,
I've one of these KTM ecross-p bikes with a faulty battery. Did anyone ever get a solution to re-celling or replacing?
Regards
Dave

Ja_T

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2018
I think It might be easier to adapt to a more modern universal battery. Perhaps buy a battery/ back rack combination and change your connectors to fit the new battery. anything between 36 and 48 volts should be fine though for similar power would go with 48 volts.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think It might be easier to adapt to a more modern universal battery. Perhaps buy a battery/ back rack combination and change your connectors to fit the new battery. anything between 36 and 48 volts should be fine though for similar power would go with 48 volts.
I think even the KTM used hand shaking between battery and controller so a generic battery wouldn't work.

dgre48

Just Joined
May 26, 2021
Cumbria
I think even the KTM used hand shaking between battery and controller so a generic battery wouldn't work.
Hi,
Yes our investigation shows 4 wires from battery to control unit in the battery support on the downtube. Two are red/black heavy gauge obviously the main power leads. With the battery off the bike these are dead, but there is just under 1volt on one of the other wires, so this must be the 'switch on' control wire. Putting the battery on the bike, with this wire disconnected the bike is dead...The fourth, when disconnected throws an E3 error on the handlebar display, together with icons indication the bike is on regenerate mode and that the battery is flat (which it isn't).
With everything connected again, the bike is working normally with the battery showing charge at more than about 80%. Below this (approx value) the bike goes completely dead. Putting it on recharge brings the battery display up to 100% and off you go again...for a while.
I've talked to various 'battery experts' and haven't found anyone with a definate answer about repair. The bike handbook says replace battery PCB!
regards
Dave

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When the bike cuts out at approx. 80%, one needs to rule out bad cell group. The only way to do this is get all of the cell group readings which means opening the battery to do so.
If it is a BMS issue then you have no chance at all, even if a spare can be sourced it would need programming to set it up.

Bikerian

Just Joined
May 30, 2021
I have got a ktm style p that the battery pack was apparently recelled but they took all the ktm bms electronics out of it. I would like to have reversed engineered it but that’s not possible now. If anyone would like to lend me one I have a good friend that understands electronics and with that hope to build a box so we can use a standard battery. Yes I know that the battery’s are id coded and that code will be lost if power is lost to the board. I think the e race has got the same board in too.

dgre48

Just Joined
May 26, 2021
Cumbria
I have got a ktm style p that the battery pack was apparently recelled but they took all the ktm bms electronics out of it. I would like to have reversed engineered it but that’s not possible now. If anyone would like to lend me one I have a good friend that understands electronics and with that hope to build a box so we can use a standard battery. Yes I know that the battery’s are id coded and that code will be lost if power is lost to the board. I think the e race has got the same board in too.
Hi there,
I'm curious as to the effect of removing the bms electronics - does the bike still work as it did? I'm planning to talk to a local firm about replacing all the electrical system on this bike with a 'new' one but that would mean my current battery might be spare! Whereabouts in the country are you - we are in Cumbria (Appleby).
Regards
Dave

Bikerian

Just Joined
May 30, 2021
Hi there,
I'm curious as to the effect of removing the bms electronics - does the bike still work as it did? I'm planning to talk to a local firm about replacing all the electrical system on this bike with a 'new' one but that would mean my current battery might be spare! Whereabouts in the country are you - we are in Cumbria (Appleby).
Regards
Dave
If you remove just the bms and give the controller the power you will get a e3 fault. You would have to remove all the electronics and fit a new controller , bms and charger. The controller and the charger ask the bms for a code and if it’s right

dgre48

Just Joined
May 26, 2021
Cumbria
If you remove just the bms and give the controller the power you will get a e3 fault. You would have to remove all the electronics and fit a new controller , bms and charger. The controller and the charger ask the bms for a code and if it’s right
Hi again,
Looks like the end of your reply might be missing.. I did indeed get an E3 fault when I disconnected the 'mystery wire' from the battery to the controller.
After looking around at other posts it appears you could fit a replacement panasonic 'correct type' or swap such batteries between bikes. This would seem to imply that the battery is not keyed to the individual bike, but rather to the correct bms only. So can I fit a replacement secondhand battery if it is the correct type?
Still bikeless..
Dave

Bikerian

Just Joined
May 30, 2021
Hi again,
Looks like the end of your reply might be missing.. I did indeed get an E3 fault when I disconnected the 'mystery wire' from the battery to the controller.
After looking around at other posts it appears you could fit a replacement panasonic 'correct type' or swap such batteries between bikes. This would seem to imply that the battery is not keyed to the individual bike, but rather to the correct bms only. So can I fit a replacement secondhand battery if it is the correct type?
Still bikeless..
Dave
Sorry I miss understood you yes you can fit one from another bike as long as the bms is the same. Style p is the same as e tour bms