Help with Folding Bike with Pedelec, Belt Driven, Single Speed

Moo

Just Joined
May 26, 2015
Hi there,

I’m from Brazil and we don’t have a forum like this back here. Besides, I’m sure I can’t set the configuration of the bike I want with what I ll find here.

My city has some hills and I use my bike as a mean of transportation. So basically I want a bike with these pre requisites:

- Discreet and non-futiristic design. It’s not rare a bike be stolen here. I don’t need a bike with a crazy futuristic design asking to be stolen;

- Rainproof/waterproof since I get some rain often;

- Pedelec kit small and almost hidden in the bike;

- Belt driven system or similar, because of its low maintenance and rain resistant proprieties;

- Single speed (same reason above). I’m thinking that, as it would be a pedelec bike, the “gear” will be the level of assistance. So a single speed will simplify things;

- Folding bike (optional). It would be nice if it’s a folding bike. But if this configuration is only possible in a normal bike, I’m ok with that;

- Loopwheels (just dreaming a little). I can’t afford this right now. But just want to know if it would be possible to install them together with the configuration above.

So… Is there anything near this configuration out there? Or I will need to make a custom bike?

I never made a custom bike… do you guys think it’s better to buy each peace and assemble the bike myself? Or buy a bike with most of the requirements and adapt the other things? Any models in mind?

At fisrt, it doesn’t really matter where to buy. I will not find much of these things here in Brazil, so I ll probably buy them during my travels and my friends’s travels.

Sorry for bad English,

Thank you!

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
Hi there,

I’m from Brazil and we don’t have a forum like this back here. Besides, I’m sure I can’t set the configuration of the bike I want with what I ll find here.

My city has some hills and I use my bike as a mean of transportation. So basically I want a bike with these pre requisites:

- Discreet and non-futiristic design. It’s not rare a bike be stolen here. I don’t need a bike with a crazy futuristic design asking to be stolen;

- Rainproof/waterproof since I get some rain often;

- Pedelec kit small and almost hidden in the bike;

- Belt driven system or similar, because of its low maintenance and rain resistant proprieties;

- Single speed (same reason above). I’m thinking that, as it would be a pedelec bike, the “gear” will be the level of assistance. So a single speed will simplify things;

- Folding bike (optional). It would be nice if it’s a folding bike. But if this configuration is only possible in a normal bike, I’m ok with that;

- Loopwheels (just dreaming a little). I can’t afford this right now. But just want to know if it would be possible to install them together with the configuration above.

So… Is there anything near this configuration out there? Or I will need to make a custom bike?

I never made a custom bike… do you guys think it’s better to buy each peace and assemble the bike myself? Or buy a bike with most of the requirements and adapt the other things? Any models in mind?

At fisrt, it doesn’t really matter where to buy. I will not find much of these things here in Brazil, so I ll probably buy them during my travels and my friends’s travels.

Sorry for bad English,

Thank you!
Kudos secret or woosh make one not sure if you can get them in your country though

Moo

Just Joined
May 26, 2015
I took a look on these ones. They have everything I want except the Belt Driven system. I asked them about adapting it and both said it's not possible.

Thank you

Reactions: Scott clarke

Scott clarke

Pedelecer
May 5, 2015
I took a look on these ones. They have everything I want except the Belt Driven system. I asked them about adapting it and both said it's not possible.

Thank you
Any special reason you want a belt drive apart from maintenance? Or are parts for regular bikes difficult to purchase in your town?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A belt is all but impossible to fit to a folder because the belt is very picky about alignment and tension.

Moo

Just Joined
May 26, 2015
Any special reason you want a belt drive apart from maintenance? Or are parts for regular bikes difficult to purchase in your town?
It's quite common to get some rain during my ride back from work. Regular rain in a normal chain is terrible. I also live really close to the sea and the "salt from the sea" (don't know the name in english :p) are really terrible to the metal chain too. Another problem is that a ride with my working clothies. So the chain make my paints dirty sometimes.
I hope a belt drive will solve these problems

A belt is all but impossible to fit to a folder because the belt is very picky about alignment and tension.
There are plenty of folding bikes with belt drive already. Here is an exemple:
http://www.btwin.com/en/city-bikes/folding-bikes/17981-tilt-720-black.html

I would love a bike like this, but with pedelec.

Thank you very much!