Help! Help with my freego folding e bike throttle limit speed

msf1344

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 31, 2020
Hi , just bought a second hand freego folding e bike from eaby and when it arrived i checked the throttle twist and go and noticed it is not going fater than 3,5 m/h which has disappointed me my friend has the same model and it is going 15m/h when using just throttle alone . my bike is 2018 model and has a lcd display screen . so please if anybody had the same issue please help .

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Thats the legal requirement. In simple terms, from 1st Jan 2016 throttles were outlawed on new ebikes, except for a slight 'starting assistance'up to 6kmh, 3.7mph. Your bike is behaving exactly as it should. The throttle can lawfully still provided further assistance up to 15.5mph, just so long as you are also pedalling - throttle assistance alone up to 15.5 is unlawful.

You friends bike is either an older version from pre 01/01/16, or has been unlawfully modified or repgorammed.

Reactions: msf1344

msf1344

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 31, 2020
Thats the legal requirement. In simple terms, from 1st Jan 2016 throttles were outlawed on new ebikes, except for a slight 'starting assistance'up to 6kmh, 3.7mph. Your bike is behaving exactly as it should. The throttle can lawfully still provided further assistance up to 15.5mph, just so long as you are also pedalling - throttle assistance alone up to 15.5 is unlawful.

You friends bike is either an older version from pre 01/01/16, or has been unlawfully modified or repgorammed.
Thanks for your advise but as you said my friend have reprogrammed his bike and he is going to do mine .

Here2Help92

Just Joined
Aug 12, 2023
Hi , just bought a second hand freego folding e bike from eaby and when it arrived i checked the throttle twist and go and noticed it is not going fater than 3,5 m/h which has disappointed me my friend has the same model and it is going 15m/h when using just throttle alone . my bike is 2018 model and has a lcd display screen . so please if anybody had the same issue please help .
Try this: