Hi again guys

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Hi to all:)

Its been awhile since I last posted. I joined in 2010 when I bought a sunlova ebike conversion kit from ebay and successfully converted my old Giant hybrid bike. I had great fun commuting the 30 mile round trip to work and was surprised that I got fit enough to cycle my road bike in and out fairly quickly. I eventually gave up the electric bike as I had constant problems with the battery and controller after I had tried to hack the kit to increase speed. That was back in 2013.

Since then I have been ill and I've done very little cycling. Turns out I have haemochromatosis (iron overload) but its now being treated and my energy levels are returning:). So now I'm getting the itch to cycle and I'm strongly thinking of either doing another conversion or buying a ready made electric bike.

No doubt I'll have a few questions to ask in the coming days.

John

Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
o_O JL your profile says late 2007 so time has past quicker then you think.
Which ever route you take you will find things have moved on a bit. Batteries have improved, some oem bikes now have semi or integrated batteries. Some hubs are getting smaller and powerful as well as becoming almost silent in running.
Kits are also plug and play with waterproof connectors and choice for electric components are improving.

• Informative

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
I was lurking for a couple of years thinking about it:) I'm glad to hear that the technology has improved. Now for a browse of the conversion kit topic....

D

Deleted member 4366

I too started with a Sunlova bike, then a Sunlover kit in 2010. The motor and controller from that original bike are still going strong and used every day even though slightly hacked.

Ask if you have any questions.

• Useful

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
I too started with a Sunlova bike, then a Sunlover kit in 2010. The motor and controller from that original bike are still going strong and used every day even though slightly hacked.

Ask if you have any questions.
Nice one. Great to hear its still going strong:) I had too many breakdowns with problems with the battery or the controller. I didn't really know what I was doing - I'm hoping not to repeat the experience!