Hi from Uppsala, Sweden

Gubbe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 22, 2017
Uppsala
Hi
I recently aquired a Scott E-Sub Comfort. I use it to commute 22km to Uppsala. Most of my commute is on a dissused railway track which is dusty/dirty but traffic-free. To date I've cycled just over 640 km.

Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbe

Aug 22, 2017
Uppsala
It all depends on the type of winter. I'm no stoic, so cycling 50 mins at anything below -10C is out as is forcing at track though deep snow. That said Uppsala winters have temperature that hover around -5 to +2 and studded winter tyres are standard kit for both cars and bikes.

The biggest challenge on my commute will be on the dark mornings and evenings as I have 15 km of totally unlit forest track. I'm considering extra lights for my bike, since, quite litterally I have almost cashed with roe deer, elk and wild boar.

• Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hello!

If I remember correctly you don't have many steep hills in Uppsala. What light do you have?

Gubbe

Aug 22, 2017
Uppsala
Yep, the whole of county Uppland is flat which also means it can very be windy. There's only one steep hill in Uppsala up to the castle/university library that I have the pleasure of cycling up and down on my way to work.

I'm usure of the type of light I have but I know is that it will not be enough to cycle in really dark (black) conditions. Any suggestions for good value, extra lighting are welcome.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
  • Useful

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You don't know many Swedish policemen Nealh :) they were all over my car when I was there because the lights were yellow.

The high end b+m is plenty of light. https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=193881;menu=1000,329,336;mid[39]=1 I have a 70 lux version and that has a nice beam already that I am happy with at 50 km/h

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The only one from that way I know of is Henning Mankel's Wallander who only exists in novels and on the telly :rolleyes:.

But the light is ideal/perfect for Gubbe's 15km forest trek, I mean how many Fuzz is he likely to come across in there ?
One or a pair of them and he will turn the forest in to daylight and pick out all those eyes watching him, just hope their are no bears or wolves to chase him :eek:.

• Agree

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Tjanare! I spent two years in Umea in the early 90s and cycled until it got to -15C and then took the bus. The cold I could wrap up against (although -36C was pushing it!), but the darkness was very hard for me to get used to and I never did.

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I've made a few light videos. Here's the recommended light, in action. The battery lasts for over 2 hours.

Here's the same light fitted to the headband that came with it.

And a couple of comparison videos.

Both in action at night.